New to the site

Sallyh

Hi!

I am new to the site (was searching for something online and it came up in Google).

We are in the final stages of moving (currently awaiting exchange of contracts on our house, completion is supposed to be end Aug). This is the only part of our plans still to fall into place (quite major though!).

DH is Australian, and our boys have citizenships / passports etc so the visa was simple (if expensive). I currently don't work (and not planning to) preferring to be at home full time with our children.

We have a rental place in Glandore, for roughly a 6 mth rental. DS1 is enrolled at Tabor Christian Colllege for January (starting Y1 but really it will be a repeat of the Reception / Pre-prep year he has just done here). Till then I will kind of home school (loosely - will just do some project based stuff with DS1 and DS2).

Our flights are booked for 16th Sept.

DH will look for work when we arrive, but we are really looking forward to some good family time away from all the stress of selling our house and all the moving plans. And really really looking forward to the wider family support we will have when we move.

Will be looking for a bit of advice / recommendations re:shipping companies, but will look for a thread elsewhere for that.

Got a list of jobs to do as long as my arm but at least its summer hols now so no more school run / uniform to wash / iron / lunches to make etc. DH has finished with his Self-emp work and now is just working 3 days a week over the summer.

Looking forward to getting to know peeps on here a bit. Looking forward to moving even more...

Hiya,

glandore is a nice suburb, with a lovely park in the community centre and a tiny kindy hidden away in the middle. I live near there, in fact only a few streets away from Tabor and know somw people who's kids have been there, no complaints from them really, but it is a religious school. The kids all seem well behaved on the streets as they are leaving, it is only small, but seems to have a nice atmosphere when you walk past.

Good luck with your long list of things to do.

Rachel

Guest Aussie pat

I'm another Aussie who's going back with my husband (Brit) and 2 children aged 10 and 11 who are both dual nationality like yours. Our flights are booked for Nov 18. We have exchanged on our house and have delayed completion on 8 October (our buyers request). Will be living in friend's holiday let on her farm for just over a month. We wanted our children to finish most of Autumn term seeing as they're a bit older. Didn't want to arrive just before Xmas though so thought mid Nov best. Currently packing up house like you. Not much fun but will be worth it. Goodluck with your move.

Thanks so much for all the replies! Sounds like Aussie Pat your move has been more straightforward than ours re: exchange and house sale! Our completion date is set for 29 Aug but still not exchanged. DH confident its a certainty so I am relying on him for confidence! Shame though, was thinking today I want to be enjoying these last weeks rather than worrying!

Will have more of a look round the site later (doing tea, bath and bed on my own tonight!). SIL went to Tabor when it was Bethesda, she was there for High School, so we know the school a bit. Website very good and had chat with them on the phone. Think it will be brilliant for our boys. Haven't looked into Kindy for the other 2, but to be honest I may well not do that at all for them and wait till they are old enough for school. Not in a rush this academic year for DS2 thats for sure.

Haven't listed our timeline in my sig but I may do it on this thread later. I don't want to see it every time I post!!

Oh just one thing - after reading all that stuff about children's clothes (and quality!) you all confirmed what I already knew / feared. And I just happened to be passing Next today... so stocked up on shorts for all 3 boys, and couple of pairs of trousers each for DS1 and DS3. Nothing decent for DS2 but he wears all DS1's clothes anyway... DH pleased with and approves of the purchases! The boys were delighted with what I got them, and DH said admiringly that he was pleased how they appreciate good clothes and get a sense of what is right to wear. He was never taught that way (I still have to tell him he can't wear certain things, even after he's been here 9 years). Poor boy. Was brought up on Target. Which I am sure is what our kids will soon be resigned too...although I plan to be discerning about logos and style and quality as much as possible on a shoestring...!

Guest Aussie pat

Unfortunately my husband grew up in the UK without a Target store in sight and has the same problem re choosing what to wear. Spent a week in Devon last week. Even the kids were embarrassed at what Dad wore on the beach. All he needed was the hanky with 4 knots in the corners for a sun hat!

Hope the style police don't stop him as he tries to enter Australia!