do we need to be loaded?

Guest lin,mick,will

Guest lin,mick,will

Hi all, we are just waiting to here if mick s sponsor is going to deffinatly sponsor him. If all goes to plan our agent says we can be in oz within 3/4 months:). The thing i need help with is when renting is the property furnished or not, also is it cheeper to ship your own things or buy everything new. Im worried as i have been told that household things are expensive in oz, any advise would be greatfull.

Guest Alipally

If you're planning on staying, then bring it all with you! It's definitely cheaper than buying all new. We are there was a thread about this earlier and everyone is in agreement that it's definitely cheaper and less hassle than buying all new on arrival!

I hope that this helps a bit.

Ali

Hi all, we are just waiting to here if mick s sponsor is going to deffinatly sponsor him. If all goes to plan our agent says we can be in oz within 3/4 months:). The thing i need help with is when renting is the property furnished or not, also is it cheeper to ship your own things or buy everything new. Im worried as i have been told that household things are expensive in oz, any advise would be greatfull.

Hi There

We are having out stuff collected this Friday, and were taking everything !

:wubclub:

Guest salisbury massive

Bring everything, I cannot emphasise enough the joy of having your stuff around you when it arrives, its a little bit of familiarity in a brave new world where everyday is trying to sort out something new. Also having to lug children around furniture shops and car yards is not a good idea, especially if its HOT.

You can always buy some new stuff and get rid of the old at a later date but if you are having a container my advice is fill it to the brim.

Jo

Guest chippie74

Last year we was same as you should we bring or buy new?. We looked around all our household thing and thought is all this worth 4-5k the cost to ship it all over.Then we thought new start in every way.So we just came with 2 suit cases

Like Chippie, we arrived with 3 suitcases and 2 holdalls and sold everything in the UK. We do not have any children, so perhaps families have a different take on things, but this was our experience.

We have still got some personal things to ship out like paintings and sentimental items but thats it.

We were in a fortunate position that we knew we wanted to emigrate for a while but my partner needed 6 years work experience in his field to get the skilled independent visa and we had a couple of years to wait. So when we set up home we knew we would leave everything behind, so bought IKEA type cheap and cheerful stuff. Luckily the lady that bought our house, purchased it with nearly all our furniture in, the rest we sold to friends and family for nominal amounts to get rid.

I think people bring their stuff out and then half the time it does not match with the Australia houses. We have friends in Victoria and they shipped all their stuff out which took months to arrive and then half the stuff would not work, they had massive pine wardrobes and their house (as a lot of houses do) had built in wardrobes and as they had spent a fortune shipping them over they would not get rid of them, so ended up putting the wardrobes in the dining room, which just looked weird!! Their settees looked small and out of place as the rooms over here are generally bigger than in the UK.

When we got here, we went to IKEA and bought what we needed for day to day living and over time as we save up and get more established we will replace the items.

Guest chippie74

xbox will work here.i have english xbox. games are the same format.driving licence just a simple swap over and you pick how many years you want licence for 1-10 years