part time work

Guest val diffin

Guest val diffin

could anyone tell me how easy or not it is to find part time work when i move over in september. My little girl is 9 yrs old and when she goes to school i would want to go out to work part time, i've worked in catering, bar work and haddows at present as they all fitted around school hours. Any replies welcome

val:)

Guest Libby1971

Part time work here is not easy to come by if the experiences of any of the people I know here are anything to come by.

Part time work in McDonalds is hard unless you are prepared to commit to time at weekends and evenings which some people are not prepared to do. Job share is not something that I have seen much of.

Some other people who may have more useful information will be along to post here soon.

Libby

Guest Aussie pat

You could try being proactive and mail shotting places such as schools, TAFE colleges and tertiary institutions near where you will be living to see if they have any term time jobs coming up. In the past I didn't always wait for job adverts I just sent out a few letters and was surprised at what jobs came up. My view was that if they didn't reply no one would know who I was anyway so I had nothing to lose.

Goodluck.

Hi Val

I would agree with Aussie Pat...it really does pay to target potential employers rather than apply for jobs you see in the paper etc. Adelaide is quite old fashioned in that sense and you are more likely to get a job through a personal introduction/self promoting exercise than relying on the familiar formalities of the UK application process. If you're comfortable with the face to face approach I would go as far as to suggest doing the rounds with your CV.

Good luck

Dette and family :)