thinking of adelaide, help and info

Guest wilson7716

Guest wilson7716

Sorry if its long but want to explain all.

Hi everyone, completely new to this site and we have lots of questions and don’t know where to start, its ok looking at internet at a new life but getting answers from people who have done it or doing it is so much better (from the horses mouth as they say

Presently I am a SGT in the RAF but I have had enough, i'm coming up to the end of my engagement 24 years I do get a pension, which I will be bringing.

I am an aircraft engineer (airframes and propulsion) with qualifications such as city & guilds engineering, HNC's in aeronautical and mechanical engineering, Quality assurance courses, management courses. I work in a quality auditor’s role at present.

As for money I will have my RAF pension approx 12-14k a year sterling and will be bring after all the expenses to aus about 60-80k in sterling to start a new life.

My wife has Master of Arts 1st class honours degree in economics passed 2005 so she wants to know about jobs as well for her and career prospects. So looking to know about the best areas for the pair of us with regards to jobs etc

We also have one of the main reasons for applying a lovely daughter of 11 who loves the outside world but the uks weather puts a stop to a lot of it lol.

So basically I am asking is there job prospects for me and my wife, what areas are best for our areas of expertise, what areas are best to live in, what the schooling going to be like for my daughter?

Sorry its so long but just want to get all info I can, thanks very much for your help on the subjects in advance and thanks for taking the time to read it.

Guest Django

Welcome to PIA.

Sorry I can't help with your questions but just wanted to say hi. Maybe Stoo maybe able to help (user name Deb and Stoo) he is in the airplane field I believe. Good luck on your plans

Pete

Best bet for a start would be to contact one of the many agents that offer a free initial consultation (google australia emigration and see what pops up). This will give you a heads up on your visa options. You and your OH's skills vs the current list that DIAC have is the main hurdle, followed by where to settle in relation to work/schools/lifestyle etc.

The skills assessment not only require you to have the right piece of paper, but also be able to prove that you have practiced in this trade for a certain period of time, and are currently (or at least recently) still in that trade.

Something to be aware of is that most (if not all) of the defense/military contractors will only employ citizens. So you'd probably need to focus on the civil side - Qantas are having a few issues at the moment though...:biglaugh:

Welcome to the start of the journey that is emigration!