Contributory Visa

Hayshake

Just making an entry to introduce myself, I guess my wife and I are quite old for this site, as we are hoping to move out to Adelaide to be with our son's family and spend more time with our grandchildren.

We applied for our Visa last June, but are still awaiting a case officer, which hopefully will be from March 2007 onwards.

We are travelling out again on 1st Jan for 6 weeks which will be our 10th trip over the past 14 years, I now know Adelaide pretty well, and able to drive to where I want to go without problems. We also have a number of Australian friends, as my son's, in laws are some of our very good friends, and they have introduced us to many of their friends. They are Farmers and live about 80 miles from Adelaide in a country area called Cooke Plains, which is the other side of Murray Bridge, so I also know a bit about the country areas.

Wishing all fellow visa applicants a Happy Christmas and a moving New Year.

Guest dglamoore

Hi

You can never be too old for a forum so welcome!! :D It will be great having someone with a lot of experience of Adelaide on here to help those of us still in the UK out.

We have never been to oz and just waiting for our visa which could be any day now and then we fly out on April 22nd 2007.

Lisa :D

Hi the more the merrier! So welcome to the site.

Think you are great parents visiting your family 10 times in 14 years......

My parents are looking forward to visiting us once we're out there, but I wonder how many times they will come......my mum isnt really a fan of flying. We'll just have to see.

We are hoping to be in oz sometime this summer.

Have a great time with your family in Jan....

speak soon

sarahx

Welcome to the Forum. :D :lol:

I wish our parents were like you too. Our announcement that we are emigrating has come with a very frosty reception from my in laws in particular. They have said we can't really care about them and how could we take the grand children away etc etc. They are being selfish and not thinking about the future better life for our children which is the main reason we are doing this. My mother in law has a phobia of flying and snakes so said as soon as we go we will never see her again unless we come back to the UK. It really does make you feel bad but they are both in their early 70's and don't really have a young outlook on life.

It is going to be very difficult to leave them but they do have plenty of money to visit us if they want to.

Hi welcome to the site,

Ihope my mum and dad take the plunge like you are,i have never been to oz but my mum and dad have and my mum loved it they went round the world when they retired from farming here in the rainy lake district, i think my mum will be visiting a lot :lol:

We fly on the 1st of jan as well one way :shock:

My first thought of somewhere to live was out in the country maybe a hobby farm as i would love to have horses, but i dont want the girls to be too far away from any where :?

Well good luck for a speedy visa.

Hayls

I would say that as parents, (we are in our 60's) when our son went to Australia at first we felt devastated, and the first couple of years were very difficult, so I can understand other parents feelings. I should add that our son married the daughter of some Aussie friends of ours, and her parents have also been very supportive. At first the sorrow is like a bereavement, but the old saying that Time is a great healer is true, and we now feel very close to our Australian daughter in law and grandchildren. Whereas a few years ago a telephone call cost £1 per minute with technology such as Skype you can make the calls for free and even see & chat to your families, so the distance does'nt seem so far away.

We arrived in Australia on November 15th 2004, my mum will vivist us for the thrid year running next year, first year she came for just 3 weeks as she was working but she's since retired so this year she came over for 7 weeks and next year she'll be over for 7 weeks also (she leaves UK on March 1st) she's looked at the Grandparent visa but the waiting list for one of those is never ending so she says she'll just have to settle for visiting every year untill she can no longer afford the insurance and flight.

My dad keeps saying he'll visit us soon but so far he hasn't and my In-Laws say they've lookied into visiting but claim the insurance is too much.

Their loss.

I speak to my mum via phone or MSN (on webcam) most days, my dad keeps saying he'll get the internet but so far hasn't but I speak to him via phone most weekends. Trev speaks to his mum via phone once in a blue moon (only if he phones them), in-laws don't have a PC and claim they're too old to learn how to use one, again, their loss.

When our eldest daughter was ill last march and we took her to the ER, it was discovered she was actually in labour (she didn't know she was pregnant, she'd had a test done a few months before and been told it was negative and not to worry), she was only 28 weeks pregnant when her labour started, six hours later she had our grandson via emergency c-section, my mum was due to fly over here 4 weeks later, she tried to change her flight but couldn't and says they were the longest 4 weeks of her life but because she has a PC na d email I sent her all the photo's I took everyday of Joshua so she wasn't missing out on what might've been his very short life. Mum was here for 7 weeks and Joshua was still in neo-natal ICU when she returned to UK but because of email she has not missed out on one moment of his life so far and she says she can't wait to get here next march as she'll have 12 months worth of Joshua cuddling to catch up with.

The internet and phone really do help make the world a smaller place.

Guest donna T

BJF

What a lovely story - it just shows you how technology has really helped all of us emigrants keep in touch so well - the World is definitely a smaller place nowadays.

I trust that all is well with your Grandson now?

Donna,

Everything is fine with Joshua now thanks, he was taken off oxygen totally about three weeks ago (he was hooked up to it 24/7 until he was 5 months old then had to be connected to it for night time only until 3 weeks ago), he's just cut his first two bottom teeth. he's now 9 months old and one very spoilt little boy and he has his Nan-Nan and his Pops wrapped round his little finger. He's small for his age but otherwise he's fine, not yet sitting up on his own but the doctors say not to worry, they have two charts they check him against, one is what he should be doing for his birth age, the other is corrected age (when he should've been born).

• 8 months later...
Guest Leanne & Mark

The cost of visits worries me a lot! My mum is on her own with my 9 yr old sister, she is often living hand to mouth. It sickens me the amount she works, she has a condition that effects her circulation, and her feet can swell enourmous amount. She is also unable to drive as she is and always has been very short sighted:GEEK:.

Therefore she has to walk every where, thus making her feet swell further (ouch!)

Can she be classed as disabled?? nope not even partially.

All i can think of is to leave some money for her to use and build on, i'm gonna get my sis a video camera aswell as web cam so the kids can keep in touch via video diary aswell.

Any one know a rich man, that wants a ready made family?? otherwise fit and healthy attractive 50 yr old wants rich (ish) man for company.