Recce trip!!

Guest mornachew

Guest mornachew

Well we have just booked a trip, only for a week!!

But its a step.

Fly out on the 24 Oct - Anyone else going out then?

What do you do on a recce trip?

Look at houses/areas, Shopping - cost of living?

Job hunting?

relax - 1 day :).

What else - i just cant think, any tips?

Cheers

Blimey, you got a lot to do in a week!

We did a recce in April, for 2 weeks, i was shattered by the end of it.........

Do buy the adelaide advertiser,,, very useful at the week end....jobs, houses etc.

Visit the city centre tourist office on King William St, staff helpful and friendly.

Go to a local pub, talk to the locals, they will give you the insiders view of schools etc.

Have fun, i bet you love it:)

Guest andy&jill

Hi we went on a reccie at the start of the year, we had a rough idea what areas we wanted to look at, we based our self in a very nice rental in woodcroft (off a member of this site) a great place for a base and what we saw ok to live too.

As scouse mouse said get the paper as most of the house opens are in there, most opens tend to be at a weekend go to as many as you can, my wife had them planned like a military operation.

Schools was another for us too, we booked to look round some schools with our daughter.

Go food shopping too or just look in different supermarkets.

Some days we just drove and bimbled about.

Enjoy.

Guest mornachew

just had a quick look online - can get a evisa for about £10!!

just need to get a house rental or appartment for a weel from 24 oct - 30 oct?

Any ideas?

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hi Mornachew.

Get your visa at http://www.visabureau.com/australia/tourist-visa.aspx

The people in Adelaide are very open and friendly so where ever you are out for a meal or a drink just talk to the locals, may cost ya a couple of pints but the info you get is worth it.

Defantly pick up a copy of the Advertiser and tune the car radio into Triple M.

Pick up a good map and spend a day driving round looking at the different area's or pop into a few real estate agents.

But the best advice i think that anyone could give is just talk to the locals.

Good luck on you reccie.

Oh yeah you gotta go to the Gourge or Cleland to cuddle a Koala.

Matt

Guest guest569
just had a quick look online - can get a evisa for about £10!!

just need to get a house rental or appartment for a weel from 24 oct - 30 oct?

Any ideas?

Depending on how many of you are coming over ...We have booked some friends into the Noaralunga motel and negotiated them down to $330 a week. Its abit like a travel lodge.

Guest Guzzler&Sas

hi there

you may have left it a bit late on the accommodation front for furnished rentals but there are plenty of hotels/motels etc. But if there are two of you, try the backpacker type places in the city or caravan parks?

Things to do on your reccie - beach, mclaren vale for wine or barossa or penfolds, have look around the city/river/cricket oval, glenelg for the tourist bit beaches, Belair National Park .... whatever floats your boat really, what are you in to?

You may want to chat to some agencies regarding work - depending on when you are coming out and what sort of work you are looking for. YOu may also want to attend a few house opens, to give you an idea of what an aussie house looks like ... sounds strange, but worth considering.

All the best

Regs

Sas

xxx

Guest Lulujim

Hi - we're flying out on 23rd Oct for a 3 week reccie. Can't wait! So do we need to get visas for this? I flew to Oz last year and had bought the visas online, but no-one seemed to ask to see them etc.. and wondered if it was necessary? :err:

You WILL need an ETA..........or they wont let you in. It is mainly electronic now, and is tracked to your passport number..........so no excuses!!

Check with your airline, some offer the service for free when you book; virgin did! Good old Richard; such a generous boy:biglaugh:

Have fun on your trip

Jane

Guest Lulujim
You WILL need an ETA..........or they wont let you in. It is mainly electronic now, and is tracked to your passport number..........so no excuses!!

Check with your airline, some offer the service for free when you book; virgin did! Good old Richard; such a generous boy:biglaugh:

Have fun on your trip

Jane

Thank you Jane, OK I see - so no need to show paper etc... it's all done when you show your passport??

- so no need to show paper etc... it's all done when you show your passport??

The airline in the UK won't let you get on the plane without a Visa of some sort.

You can get an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) online via www.eta.immi.gov.au. There is lots of info about it on this site. It costs $20 and you have to pay by credit card. The website lets you know straight away if its been issued successfully. You have to enter your passport details and then obviously your passport info is held on some computer somewhere and the airlines then just access this computer when you check-in so they know if you have the ETA or not.

I got one earlier this year and it was pretty straightforward and only took a few minutes.

If I only had a week to get a feel for the place.... I'd just go with the flow and enjoy myself!:wubclub:

IMHO it's not enough time to really be able to find out much about actually living here so I would take Matt's advice and try to chat to random people - people here are pretty good at that! I think it would be more valuable to relax and see whether Adelaide can offer what you hope it can, than tie yourself up in knots trying to look for work or where you might like to live etc. I think a week will give you time to get over any initial impressions and allow you to start to 'feel' whether Adelaide could be your new home.

I don't know. Like many people, we didn't reccie before emigrating and have never regretted our move. We didn't reccie because we couldn't decide how long was long enough but we were fair sure we wouldn't be able to afford the money to pay for the trip - and yes,I know some people will point out it's better to potentially lose a few thousand in a reccie than heaps more by moving 'blind'. But that's a whole different argument!:)

Oh and don't forget to pick up the local papers etc so that you can look at them at your leisure when you get back to the UK. We went to a UK meet up where someone had done just that and they were feted as heroes! It certainly made interesting reading and seemed very exciting.

Have a safe flight and a wonderful time here - how could you not?!

LC

Guest mornachew

Hi all!!

when we are there, I was going to go around the recruiting agencies giving my CV in, Does anyone have a list off all them in Adelaide???

Would you just use your normal CV or do the Aussies prefer a different style?

Cheers

What line of work are you in? You may find it's better to do a bit of research beforehand and actually take your CV to companies direct. Think you're going to be really pushing it in a week though - will probably take you a couple of days to get over jetlag for a start!

What we recommend is that people do the maximum possible research before a recce, so that your time on the ground can be really focussed (or get us to do it for them of course :) - several companies we have called in to with clients' resumes have really appreciated the chance to read through beforehand, then make an appointment to meet the person when they arrive)

Unless you already have preconceived ideas of where you want to live, get a hire car and do as much driving around different areas as you can - taking note of distances/travel times to and from various places.

Definitely get a copy of Saturday's Advertiser, and try and pick up copies of the local free Messenger Paper (usually available in places like Post Offices, Foodland supermarkets etc - if you can't find one, ask someone, they may give you theirs!) which has houses for sale in the local area (so you may need to pick up a few different area copies).

Make sure your UK mobile phone is unlocked before you leave so you can get a local SIM card to stick in it, and then you have a number to hand out to people (employers for example) who need to contact you when you're on the move.

If you don't bring a laptop with you, don't forget you can usually get online for free at the local libraries.

Good luck! I wouldn't worry too much about spending time on beaches, cuddling koalas etc - it's a lot of money to spend to sit on a beach for a week, you could do that in Spain, and if you can only spare a week, you have to make ever hour count!

Diane