Should we move to adelaide?

Guest Stacey & Paul

Guest Stacey & Paul

HI THERE, WE WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE IF ANYONE COULD GIVE US SOME, THAT WOULD BE GREAT. SO HERE WE GO, THE SITUATION IS, WERE LIVING IN THE GOLD COAST BEEN HERE FOR 2 MONTHS, CANT STAND THE CONSTANT HEAT ALL DAY EVERYDAY! SO WERE THINKING OF MOVING TO ADELAIDE, WE FEEL THIS WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE TO BRING UP OUR 2 YOUNG CHILDREN. SO THE QUESTION IS....WHATS IT LIKE TO LIVE IN ADELIADE? AND ARE PEOPLE FRIENDLY? AM AWARE THE GOLD COAST AND ADELAIDE ARE TOTALY DIFFERANT PLACES. SO COULD ANYONE GIVE US SOME FEED BK PLZ. X:wubclub:

Guest graandjac

:)Hi guys, well what a question , we have not been to the gold coast nor have we been to any other parts of Australia , but so far we are loving Adelaide, its ment to be the dark back water:realmad:.......but its a good place to be, very friendly, not as small as its made out to be , yes the city centre is small but it has everything that any other city centre has, the surrounding countryside is fantastic, and the beachs as good as any anywhere in the world ( only my oponion ). One of the reasons we came here was the seasons , we all like the sunshine but its nice to have a break from it and in winter look forward to it.

Adelaide has some rough areas , as does anywhere, and some of the ozzys are a scruffy old bunch ......but you know what i dont care, its not what you look like.....!!!

Melbourne might be trendy.....Sydney might be modern and funky.....Perth is becoming very expensive...........For us Adelaide has a lot to offer, for my kids its great, for my wife its friendly and for me i will crack surfing if it kills me:biglaugh:.

We Love Adelaide

Guest Stacey & Paul

Thanks for ur post graham. Were not bothered how people look just as long as there friendly! There not friendly here at all!!! With that and the weather being sooo humid, its just not for us. We where orignally gona come 2 adelaide as we came last yr for 3 wk 2 perth, melbourne and adelaide but 1 wk wasnt long enough!! Plzd to hear ur all happy, i cant wait 2 feel settled. Were gona come have a good look around in dec and if we like we will be moving there in feb!

Cheers

stacey: 29, paul: 30, ashley: 10 and jessica: 2

we have never been to adelaide before just taking the plunge and going for it:v_SPIN:

we get to adelaide in november carnt wait.

hubby got job offers in cairns brisbane and perth but chose adelaide, hope it was the right one i feel it will be, better had be my hubby gave me the choice where to go:shocked:

good luck stacey and paul

suexxx

If you don't like the humidity then Adelaide is place to come (or Perth). The heat is very dry. However it can get really really hot, although whereas 30 degrees in humidity can be unbearable, 30 degrees in Adelaide is quite pleasant. It's only when it gets over 35 that it's a problem. The winters can be pretty cold (plenty of old threads on here about that). There are old buildings and some history too, which is lacking on the Gold Coast. Personally I really like the Gold Coast because it's green and lush and everything is new, and there are decent roads, and there is a bit of moisture in the air. If you go to Adelaide for a holiday and have a bit more of a look around you might find it is just what you are looking for.

Guest dempseys

[quote=graandjac;

Adelaide has some rough areas , as does anywhere, and some of the ozzys are a scruffy old bunch ......but you know what i dont care, its not what you look like.....!!!

i agree with gra, some aussies are scruffy, and could you even being to imagine going to the shops with no shoes on !!:biglaugh:

macky

Guest the staffords

its a personal thing...but my experience is...people are so friendly here(we moved into our house 3 years ago on december 19th,and had 2 offers of xmas dinner off aussies in street)...yes,there are a fair few ferrell(?) families here,but even they can be a laugh and fun to share a beer with.

the weather is again a personal thing..i suffered terrible in uk with that seasonal disorder thing...1st 2 years here i was fine,but i havnt enjoyed this last winter at all..thank god its so short.me,i love 40 degree days..my mrs hates them..icouldnt cope with the humidity in queensland.

kids!!!..there is not a lot here for kids..we were spoilt in uk..theme parks everywhere...the only time your kids will get to go on a roller-coaster here is at the vastly over priced royal show.but,i dont think thats a bad thing...we never had theme-parks on the door step when we were kids..never did me any harm!ha...dont htink my 2 kids are suffering in any way?

we went to the gold coast for hols last year..surfers was great..parks great..weather was sh*te...great time,but glad to get back to my adelaide.

its definately a personal thing..love adelaide...too many bloody poms here tho!

OMG! I will swap you any day! Unfortunately I have a Family court order tht keeps me in Adelaide. I've been everywhere in Australia except Canberra. I love Brivagus and Darwin, Perth is not far behind. Sydney has too many ppl and way too expensive. Melbourne reminds me of Manchester, especailly the northern suburb. Tasmania is cold and wet like England. Cairns I like but remote. Broome I don't like, dirt place. Adelaide is good but I prefer more tropical.

Each place has it's ups and downs - areas that have friendly ppl and areas that aren't. It also depends on your neighbours. So you can't really say until you get here.

I'm a hills person, love the country side and trees etc. Probably why I prefer the tropical areas and steer away from big cities. I hate humidity but I'll put up with it to live up there :)

Guest sarahsmartiepants
HI THERE, WE WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE IF ANYONE COULD GIVE US SOME, THAT WOULD BE GREAT. SO HERE WE GO, THE SITUATION IS, WERE LIVING IN THE GOLD COAST BEEN HERE FOR 2 MONTHS, CANT STAND THE CONSTANT HEAT ALL DAY EVERYDAY! SO WERE THINKING OF MOVING TO ADELAIDE, WE FEEL THIS WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE TO BRING UP OUR 2 YOUNG CHILDREN. SO THE QUESTION IS....WHATS IT LIKE TO LIVE IN ADELIADE? AND ARE PEOPLE FRIENDLY? AM AWARE THE GOLD COAST AND ADELAIDE ARE TOTALY DIFFERANT PLACES. SO COULD ANYONE GIVE US SOME FEED BK PLZ. X:wubclub:
What worries me most about giving youu advice is you say you have been there 2 months and "cant stand the constant heat all day everyday". Its only spring and it will get hotter EVERYWHERE in Australia. I was in Brisbane in september and it was only 20degs that day, it was a lot warmer than I had left behind in ADL but not hot by any means.

ADL gets up to 40+ degs, given, there is no humidity, but the sun sizzles you still.

Maybe you should look towards Tassie as their weather is similar to the UK.

Sarah

never thought about it only being spring. My husband was there for 18 months and in the summer he used to say he always felt like a fish and was it possible to grow gills because he was breathing water not air! LOL

Guest deborah
What worries me most about giving youu advice is you say you have been there 2 months and "cant stand the constant heat all day everyday". Its only spring and it will get hotter EVERYWHERE in Australia. I was in Brisbane in september and it was only 20degs that day, it was a lot warmer than I had left behind in ADL but not hot by any means.

ADL gets up to 40+ degs, given, there is no humidity, but the sun sizzles you still.

Maybe you should look towards Tassie as their weather is similar to the UK.

Sarah

So where is the best place to live for the best alround climate?

I quite like the thought of seasons and even like rain!!

love thunderstorms and wind so is that Victoria then?

Guest sarahsmartiepants
So where is the best place to live for the best alround climate?

I quite like the thought of seasons and even like rain!!

love thunderstorms and wind so is that Victoria then?

I wouldnt know where is best for you but I would probably say here as we do get storms, not that often but when we do they are usually crackers! And it is all the other things you say you like.

sarah

Guest deborah
I wouldnt know where is best for you but I would probably say here as we do get storms, not that often but when we do they are usually crackers! And it is all the other things you say you like.

sarah

Yes I thought so. I do love Autumn and even winter more so than Summer!!

But I hate drizzly wet days especially all summer. We are having a lovely autumn at present with temp much the same as the summer just gone or the one that never came!!

I love snow but we hardly see it now and I know that you get frosts.

Perhaps I should live in the hills!

I hate being cold though in the house I know insulation isn't great.

What areas of Adelaide are good to live in? (More importantly, where do we avoid?):err:

Places to avoid are...

North: Salisbury, Elizabeth, the old area of Mawson Lakes

South: Noralunga, Christies Beach areas

East-ish: Edwardston

South-East: Aberfoyle

.....and what's the name of that place they built a year or 2 ago on a stinky smell swamp which has poisonious gases coming out of it and in abut 10-15yrs they expect it to sink??? was that the new area of Mawson Lakes or the other place like it? Can't remember sorry.

Perhaps I should live in the hills!quote]

Adelaide hills are about 5C lower in temperature than in the flats. We get to zero a couple of times in the winter. This year we even had snow again - only the 3rd time I've seen it here and it doesn't last more than an hour if that.

Crafers (top of the freeway) is the wettest place in SA. You can bet 3 out of 7 days it rains and is foggy. In the winter it's like that almost everyday and makes it below 0 occassionally.

Must admit though when you first get here it's the heat that is the problem not the cold. I spent my first 5yrs in shorts & t-shirt all year round. I got known as that nutty English woman when everyone else was rugged up in thick coats, hats, gloves and scarves in the dead of winter.... LOL :err:

Places to avoid are...

.....and what's the name of that place they built a year or 2 ago on a stinky smell swamp which has poisonious gases coming out of it and in abut 10-15yrs they expect it to sink??? was that the new area of Mawson Lakes or the other place like it? Can't remember sorry.

Hi

What Gilles Plain like and surrounding area? I believe its in the North East!

Ta

Carole and Andrew

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Places to avoid are...

How many of these places have a left over bad rep from years back:arghh:

I just dont STILL understand why people ask this question and people give answers like this:arghh:.

Come over and look for yourself, its the only way to be sure, we dont know you and you dont know us , so how can we possibly advise you on the best place to live??

I know people who live in 5 of the above subs and all are happy!

Please dont take this as a personnal attack, its not. I just dont get it and have chosen now to ask why.

sarah

Hi Folks,

Culturally, I think that all major Australian cities are very similar. Having made my home in Adelaide, and feeling very much at home as a dual citizen, I feel at ease in all the major cities. Have no fear about where you live in Australia - if you choose the right suburb, you will be fine.

If you think that October in the Gold Coast is too hot, you will have all your feelings reinforced from December to March, the really sticky season! As others have mentioned, Adelaide is seasonal, and also has short-term changes, with the max daytime temperature varying by more than 10 degrees during any week - quite a contrast to those predictable SE Queensland temperatures. Yesterday it was 33 degrees here, and today is 19! It can be boiling hot in summer, but unless the temperature tops 35, the evenings are remarkably balmy. If you come to Adelaide, you WILL need ducted air-conditioning and I personally insist on ducted heating for the cold winters. An air-conditioned car is essential too. Have those basic comforts so that you can avoid the extremes of weather and you will love Adelaide.

Someone else jokingly said that there are too many poms here. There is no such concept. Let's keep swelling the numbers and I will open a shop selling Shreddies, Cadbury chocolate, clothes and all the other things that people seem to miss about "home".

What Gilles Plain like and surrounding area? I believe its in the North East!

Haven't heard much coming from there. Holden Hill used to be pretty rough but is getting better. Modbury is middling, the rest of the areas I've not heard anything bad about. I have some friends at Athleston and Fairview Park.

There are a couple of Juvive jails at Campbelltown that the kids try and escape from now and again.

Holden Hill has the big police station for the Northern suburbs.

Golden Grove used to have a bad rep but it's okay nowadays, and Greenwith is good.