Hi everyone

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Jeff and I are hoping to move to Adelaide if we get the visa granted so I've decided it's time to start chatting with others going through the same thing.

We have already gone through the TRA process which was surprisingly quick and the visa forms will hopefully be posted today (they've been back and forward between us and the agent a couple of times but I think they're ok now).

Now the long wait and time to ask for advice as I think of things.

First thing is that we are currently planning a reccie trip for late August and wondered if anyone has any tips on things we could or should do while we are there to make life easier when we finally move.

Rachel & Jeff

Guest mOZzy

welcome rachel and jeff!!

you are certainly on your way to oz with the tra out of the way (we are only just about to send off for it :))

we decided against a reccie ourselves but i know there will be loads of tips coming your way soon

good luck!

Guest traceyb

Hi Rachel and Jeff,

good luck with visa process, if seems to drag on forever, but believe me it'll all be finalised before you know it.

I think i reccie is a very wise decision. Hire a car and drive, drive, drive!!! You need to ask yourself some questions, do you want to live near the city, beaches or miles from anyway. They are so many things to consider. We were only in Adelaide for 10 days and boy but what a rollercoaster trip we had, but we're here and i have no regrets!

Good luck xx

Guest steph&neil

Hi welcome to PIA - a great site for anyone moving to Adelaide as the wealth of knowledge is vast that someone will help you get the answers! remember no question is too small or silly better to ask & know, than never know & wonder!

all the best & good luck with the recci!

steph x

Guest Guest75
Jeff and I are hoping to move to Adelaide if we get the visa granted so I've decided it's time to start chatting with others going through the same thing.

We have already gone through the TRA process which was surprisingly quick and the visa forms will hopefully be posted today (they've been back and forward between us and the agent a couple of times but I think they're ok now).

Now the long wait and time to ask for advice as I think of things.

First thing is that we are currently planning a reccie trip for late August and wondered if anyone has any tips on things we could or should do while we are there to make life easier when we finally move.

Rachel & Jeff

Hiya

Good luck with the visa.

On the reccie - seriously make sure you are not in holiday mode. Not easy I bet.

Go and see as many suburbs,houses,inspections,cars as you can.

Buy your own UBD (street map) and mark off likely areas and streets. Great to refer to back in the UK.

Perhaps open a bank account here with a few $$'ss.Then you will have you account to send money to.

As you are coming in late August you will see the area in the colder months as well.

Guest Leigh and Nick

Hi all, We are just filling in tra forms. Using Go Matilda as they have been mentioned a few times. We are at the moment having to invest £40,000 for a year to get the 5 points we were short but maybe we can go for state sponsorship in the end. Neither myself Leigh (33) or my partner Nick(33) have been to Oz and with having to invest probably wont get there before the Visas come through. We woke up to rain this morning and thought how nice it would be to wake up in sunshine and head out for breakfast. It might seem like an odd question but does anyone who has been before know if it is a bit like the US for eating out or like here where nowhere is open other than MacDonalds for breakfast?

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Leigh & Nick,Rachel & Jeff

The very best of luck with the process,I'm sure like us you're thinking its a big hill to climb but you've made good starts and before you know it the 'Shiny Stamp' will be in your passports and you'll be waking up to the sound of cookaboro's not the heavy rain that we've had all day.

We used The Emigration Group (TEG) and would highly reccomend them doing so much of the hard work and keeping us constantly informed and their promise of money back if not succesful most reassuring.

We have found a recce to be out of our price range so are going blind which some say is an awful risk but listening to whats said by the lovely people on here and people who've been to Adelaide I feel we are going to fit in quite nicely,having done my time in the forces I feel we can adapt to just about any situation as long as theres beer and a barbie at the end of it ;)

Anyway fingers crossed for you all and soon we'll be looking into the trees behind our houses watching the parrots catch fire .............Flaming Gallahs :).

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Welcome to PIA.

We flew out to the East coast of Australia last yr but finally decided on Adelaide.

I wish we could have done a reccie this year but its not in the budget, unfortunately. But I feel Adelaide has everything to offer & my OH & I are willing to give it a go, our 2 boys included who are sometimes excited & sometimes sad, normal emotions I expect especially from our 10 yr old, bless him.

Anyway, I would definitely take some time to:

drive around the suburbs, get a feel for the distance to & from the CBD & beach

schools

job opps, not sure what you guys intend doing, but maybe its possible to arrange a couple of interviews whilst you are there?

houses - no doubt the display villages speak for themselves

hook up with some fellow poms from the forum

Well good luck, we might even be out there when you are on your reccie as we hope to fly Aug / Sept 07, subject to the house sale being successful :).

Guest The Bowmans

Hi Leigh and Nick, Rachel and Jeff

Welcome to the forum all of you - it's proved invaluable for us so far, everyone is really friendly and helpful. We have been to Oz twice before (once to Adelaide) and are going again for a proper serious (non-holiday mode) reccie on 1st July. Will be looking at suburbs, John has an informal job chat/interview with a prospective employer and I will be visiting the job agencies. If you can afford it, a reccie is a great idea; if not then the whole thing just becomes an even bigger adventure!

Good luck with your applications.

Deena & John :)

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully we can avoid being in holiday mode by going in August as it won't be hot enough to go diving or swimming. Are prospective employers willing to see you before you have the visa as Jeff would probably be keen to see 1 or 2 if he can.

Guest The Bowmans

Hi Rachel

John is going to meet a contact he made through an old work colleague, they have been e-mailing, he's seen John's cv and is keen to meet him. Nothing promised but will give John an idea of what to expect.

I think that if you contact a few employers and just ask to come in for a chat and an overview of the industry, to get their advice, it seems that they are much more likely to see you and who knows? Something may come if it. My advice would be give it a go.

Deena

Guest bev_stef

Hi Leigh and Nick, Rachel and Jeff

Welcome to you all. PIA is a great site to get to know people and learn so much. Someone always seems to know the answers to your questions no matter how silly you think they are.

Good Luck with the processes.

Bev