Double luggage allowance

Guest The Hadleys

Guest The Hadleys

Sorry, I know this has been mentioned before, but me and my family are trying to book flights to Adelaide, we have been told that the only airline that will do the double luggage allowance is Singapore Airlines, we are permanent visa holders. Could anyone please give us a bit of advice.

Thanks so much

Dawn

Hi there we flew over with Singapore Airlines last year and we were lucky enough to get the 40kg luggage allowance that is given to permanent visa holders with an unused visa (ie not validated). I think one of the other airlines offered this service too, but has recently withdrew it (think it was Emirates but dont quote me). Do ensure that you get it in writing that you have the extra free baggage allowance, they were fine with us when we left Manchester but after our 3 day stopover in Singapore (we packed one suitcase that we would need for Singapore and then left the rest in the left luggage place at the airport - cost a few pounds, not excessive) they were oohing and aahing, about whether to charge us for excess luggage when we checked in for the Adelaide flight (and we had done a bit of shopping in Singapore too). Luckily I had the email that confirmed that we had double luggage allowance - make sure you carry this with you. We flew on with no problems. They had 2 managers there, scrutinising it though.

The other option to get a larger allowance is to fly via the US - you get an increased luggage allowance by flying that way. I am not sure of the specifics but someone will fill you in.

Good Luck

Lindsey

Guest ade&emma

you can get the allowance with emirates as well but you cant stop over more than 24 hours anywhere and you cant go via dubai or singapore or you lose the allowance as we found out at the very last minute and ended up with one case each and had to get our shipping company to come collect some more cases. still living out of one suit case till our stuff arrives in nov. probably best to contact the airline your thinking of going with before you book as each has different requirements.

you can get the allowance with emirates as well but you cant stop over more than 24 hours anywhere and you cant go via dubai or singapore or you lose the allowance as we found out at the very last minute and ended up with one case each and had to get our shipping company to come collect some more cases. still living out of one suit case till our stuff arrives in nov. probably best to contact the airline your thinking of going with before you book as each has different requirements.

I think that Emirates actually stopped there double luggage allowance last week (there is a thread about it on BE - the majority of contributors were saying that Singapore was the only airline that flies in this direction that offer it, price of fuel etc)

We flew with singapore airlines and got the 40kgallowance. didn't have an email but had phoned them about 3 times to check this. When we got to check in the woman didn't even mention it and just checked our 9 suitcases in.. Joe being under 2 years old only got 10kg allowance, as he didn't have a seat. We only had a 9.5 hour stop over so didn't see our bags from when weleft heathrow to when we got to adelaide.

Singapore airlines were also fab with the children and the childrens meals are good but you have to book them online or they will get the adult ones. They got chocolats and sweets and yummy puddings, loads of stuff that they couldn't possibly eat so 'fell' into my bag on the floor!!!!

HTH

Guest The Hadleys

Thanks everyone for your advice. Glad to say we have now sorted it, we have got the double allowance and its with Singapore airlines. All booked for the 2nd November, can't believe its all happening.

Dawn

• 1 month later...
Guest rockpool crab
We flew with singapore airlines and got the 40kgallowance. didn't have an email but had phoned them about 3 times to check this. When we got to check in the woman didn't even mention it and just checked our 9 suitcases in.. Joe being under 2 years old only got 10kg allowance, as he didn't have a seat. We only had a 9.5 hour stop over so didn't see our bags from when weleft heathrow to when we got to adelaide.

Singapore airlines were also fab with the children and the childrens meals are good but you have to book them online or they will get the adult ones. They got chocolats and sweets and yummy puddings, loads of stuff that they couldn't possibly eat so 'fell' into my bag on the floor!!!!

HTH

Hiya..this might seem like a daft question..but I noticed you put "9 suitcases"..I wasn't sure if you were allowed to do this :biglaugh: I had a vision of each of us (4) carrying four 40 kg suitcases...so i take it you are allowed to take as many cases as you like as long at the total doesn't exceed 160Kg? Does that sound ok?

It's a mad question eh..lol

Cheers..Carol Ann

hey guys be careful how heavy each individual bag is, I used to checkin for BA and Singapore and we weren't allowed to accept anything heavier than 23kg. So spread your 40kg allowance over a few bags! Of course things do change but as far as I am aware that is still the case!!

(Millitant baggage boys won't move heavier bags even if most of them have arms like popeye!! ) xxxx

Guest happy feet

hi all

i have just rang singapore airlines to see what baggage allowance i am allowed. If visa has not been validated and perm visa you can have the 40kg but as i on 457 visa with a date of finish i can onl have 20kg.. bo ho

cara

We flew Singapore and got the double allowance even though we had validated. Had the original email saying 40kg and the lady was kind in Heathrow and let us through. Was a hairy few inutes though!