Valuable information for new migrants

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Following on from another thread, what is the most valuable info us migrants can give new ones????

Mine would be............

Make your own mind up about where to live/work/go to school.

Dont think that once you have sold your house/got visa your troubles are over,and everything after is a walk in the park!

Dont come with high expectations.

Also dont just think because your job is on the most in demand list they are dying to give you work.

I am sure I will think of some more later. and hopefully others can come on and add a few!

sarah

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Do not under estimate the power of the sun wear cream and hats, ignore and you will get burnt quickly.

Try to think only in dollars and don't keep converting to pounds (not easy).

Call Oz home and the the place you left behind the UK (in most cases).

Be prepared that you will not be able to buy your favourite foods and clothes.

Realise that you are in a foreign land and things are done differently.

Most importantly enjoy your new life and hit the ground running with loads of positive and "can do" attitude.

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest graandjac

:)Have to agree with Sarah and Guzzlers comments 100% , big one is dont think that the hard bit is getting here, the hard work starts when you arrive. Give it 110% put yourself out and others will put themselves out for you, then after maybe 5 months you might just have settled it takes time but ........its bloody worth it :P.

Guest Libby1971

Valuable information...????

Don't go looking for equivalents in terms of shops. Accept what is there and deal with it.

As SSP says, just because your job is on the skills wanted list or state sponsored list, don't assume that work is available. You have no work history in Aus and believe me, it makes a huge difference. Be prepared to go two or three steps back in terms of career progression in order to get on the ladder.

Be forward when buying things using cash, ask for a discount and be completely unreasonable. You never know, they might say yes!!!

When things get tough, take the time to think about why YOU came, not the kids, the dog, the OH or the pet goldfish. Why YOU came...a very wise and kind lady asked me this question when I was struggling.

And other than that, take the time pref each day, to take a deep breath and enjoy the moment of peace of calm that you have found. It is going to be chaos tomorrow most likely but take the time to do something simple...go to the park with the kids, eat a packed lunch by the beach, lie on the grass watching the clouds go past.

If your coming with older teens then come with a plan as to what they are going to do. Your asking for trouble otherwise.

Everyone comes here thinking there do what it takes!!!!...........Be prepared ............for some its 100 times more dificult than youd imagined!.........................for others though..............not to bad. Be prepared for the worse.

Just get a foot in the door by

buying, renting where you can afford(in a few years you may be able to move)

don't get sucked into buying gas guzzling cars, buy something economical.

have a really good budget worked out to tide you over( this may help lessen the stress of watching your savings dwindle)

Bring everything you can, otherwise you'll spend up replacing old items with brand new.

Get out of the city and take in rural SA, it's so different, but enjoyable.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Just thought of another one.........

Dont rely on OAA, although it is mega cheap you dont always get it and they are normally not very nice. What $600 ish for a weeks fully furnished accomodation in the grand scheme of things when you have put so much effort into emigrating. You might as well stay somewhere nice when you arrive, at least after a stressful day you can go home and relax.

sarah

Just thought of another one.........

Dont rely on OAA, although it is mega cheap you dont always get it and they are normally not very nice. What $600 ish for a weeks fully furnished accomodation in the grand scheme of things when you have put so much effort into emigrating. You might as well stay somewhere nice when you arrive, at least after a stressful day you can go home and relax.

sarah

Sarah. I completely agree with you. For our first week, we stayed in a luxury, fully furnished apartment in Kingston Park with a huge balcony and views to die for. I recommend that anyone moving here starts off in the best accommodation that they can afford.

During two different job interviews i had i was asked "would i be like a lot of Poms that move here and only want to work 30 odd hours and spend my time on a beach? If so job interview stops here"

Unless you are very lucky and be coming here with loads of money be prepared to work the hours and travel the distances, which in most cases are long.

You have to work hard but at least the time you have off is great with the weather:)

Think SSP and Guzzler have covered it :jiggy:

Another thing don't think something is less expensive than UK remember you will be earning Aussie wages - although probably covered by Guzzler in don't convert back to GBP

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Great thread SSP ....

Really feel the need to chip in ....

Don't expect a red carpet rolled out at the airport when you arrive ... hahaha!

No seriously, things are done differently in the working world - do your research about how to write a professional CV - you are capable of doing it. There are lots of places online in Aus who give tips and advice. My biggest word of advice is

DON'T THINK EMPLOYERS HERE KNOW COMPANIES FROM THE UK - write a small bit of info about the companies you have worked for. The same as we didn't know who Origin, Telstra, Santos etc were!

Prepare yourself for interviews and how things are done differently here - don't get down if you don't get the first job you go for .... keep positive and be willing to prove yourself.

Bring open references for work, housing, banks, insurance, credit cards - whatever you can to start a new life here.

Expect the unexpected but

DON'T FORGET TO ENJOY THE RIDE.

:jiggy:

Sas

xxx