Hi there new family looking for advice

Guest taffs

Hi there, I`m Gail and new to this . I was hoping for some advice ? .

Me, my husband and little boy Alfie are in the process of gaining our state sponsored 475 visa . We are hoping you could share any of your experiences with us.

I have 10 years experience in medical HR working for Swansea NHS Trust. My Husband is a Operations Supervisor, 10 years experience with numerous qualifications in Occupational Health & Safety (NEBOSH) at Aleris INT who are a major aluminium manufacturing/recycling world wide company .

We would appreciate any information on where you would recommend living and working what sort of job opportunities we are likely to get with our experience: wheather it be Adelaide Hills, Beach location, North or South ? all your advice would be so helpfull

Many thanks Gail, Jason & Alfie

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Gail

Welcome to PIA! Where to live is simply a personal preference. Before I visited Adelaide I was determined to live near the beach, once I got there on my reccie I preferred the Hills and this is where we plan to live in March when we emigrate. Look at some websites for jobs, seek.com.au is a good one and there are others, which I'm sure other members will be along to fill you in on, shortly.

Good luck with the process, keep posting your questions, you'll get loads of help on here!

Mandy

Hi Gail,

I agree with Mandy; good grief, a scouser agreeing with a mancunian!.....:shocked:; the hills are really lovely, but it all comes down to preference.

You might also try careerone.com.au; or maybe even the Adelaide Advertiser website for jobs.

I get there next month, so if you stay on the forum.....perhaps i can offer some help; i know i've asked loads, and got some really great advice from just about everyone on here!

Good Luck

Jane

Hi, thanks Mandy & Jane.

Its great to talk to people who are on the same road as us, Thanks for the info and good luck to you both. It will be nice to keep in touch to see what s ahead for us all.

Keep well Taffs

Hi Jane it will be great to keep in touch, thanks, it will be nice to know what you think and how you are getting on. Do you have a job for when you get there or a place to live

Gail

Hi just wanted to welcome you to PIA, the best advise I can give is research, research, research. When you have an idea of where you will be working it will be much easier to look at schools, property etc. Good luck with your future plans, just keep asking the questions and someone on this site will be able to help I'm sure.

Jo x

Hi there, I`m Gail and new to this . I was hoping for some advice ? .

Me, my husband and little boy Alfie are in the process of gaining our state sponsored 475 visa . We are hoping you could share any of your experiences with us.

I have 10 years experience in medical HR working for Swansea NHS Trust. My Husband is a Operations Supervisor, 10 years experience with numerous qualifications in Occupational Health & Safety (NEBOSH) at Aleris INT who are a major aluminium manufacturing/recycling world wide company .

We would appreciate any information on where you would recommend living and working what sort of job opportunities we are likely to get with our experience: wheather it be Adelaide Hills, Beach location, North or South ? all your advice would be so helpfull

Many thanks Gail, Jason & Alfie

Hi Gail

Just wanted to say hi really and that I've found this site just brilliant for everything. We've been planning our move for a long time and have flights booked for June 2009, I really dont think I could have done it without this forum (I know we haven't done it yet!!), we feel so prepared and have met some great friends already.

Any question you can think of will get replies or already be answered deep in the forum archives, cannot speak highly enough of this.

We have decided to live in the hills, we were kind of set on Hallet Cove at first but after speaking to lots of people and looking at schools and nurseries thats where we will rent to start with, maybe we will totally change our minds once we are there.

We dont have jobs yet but have just started to Aussie style my CV! with the help of this forum!

I could waffle on all day but you have made a good start by getting on PIA.

No doubt will speak soon on some other thread

Guest Cadenzrime

Some of my findings, I have just got PR having been here 5 months

To live I would recommend you look around Golden Grove, Gulfview Heights, Greenwith, Teatree there are plenty facilities in these slightly northern suburbs but there are especially some excellent schools for the kids. Depends what you are looking for though. It;s an affordable area.

I found my rental property through LJHooker estate agents and they are good because you can give them a spec and they will try and find you something with no hassle. Some Realtors here are 'difficult' and wont let you look at a property until it suits them which we found frustrating. Also the website www.realestate.com.au was very good.

Dont go anywhere near Elizabeth or Salisbury towards the west, including west of Bridge road into Brahma Lodge. These can be problematic and troubled areas and schools have poor ratings.

The 'Suburb' of North Adelaide itself is a great place to start off. We stayed in an apartment there for a month and theres loads of cafes leafy streets , bars etc and very close to the city.

You will find when you get here that things that would be major endurance tests in the UK are so simple and laid back here with very helpful and friendly people. For example getting your reciprocal medicare card (remember to bring your UK nhs numbers and cards) visiting the visa office (in and out in 5 minutes) etc etc. So easy.

Onething to note second hand cars are mucho expensive here. You will be gutted when you compare what you sold your UK car for. In hindsite I would have shipped our car because it would have been worth 3x more here which if you put aside 4/5 k for shipping I would still have been better off.

Another point bring all your electrical stuff, it all works over here with a cheap adaptor from the shop 'Cheap as Chips'. Our television works fine.

If you are going to work make sure you apply for A tAX file number TFN asap otherwise get hammered for 48% tax for a while. Its done on line if you have the appropriate visa.

Best of Luck.