Feeling a bit lost in Adelaide

Guest ange

Hi,

I'm Angela, not done anything like this before, and probably should have been in contact already.

I'm a community nurse who has been granted a two year work visa with my husband (David) and 5 year old son.

Looking to start work in the Salisbury area early next year. I am presently staying in Adelaide with David on a two week holiday / fact finding mission!

Finding it difficult to get a proper feel for the place whilst staying in the city centre.

Any sugestions on areas to live / schools in adjourning suburbs etc....

Thanks

Angela

:unsure:

Hi Ange, Welcome.

I work for the Royal District Nursing Service as a community nurse. We have only been in Adelaide since June and it does take a bit of getting use to. Don't know the north of the city at all as i live in the south and my round is in the south of the city. Can't help with the salisbury area but can if you want help on the community nursing front. Good Luck.:)

Guest pommyprincess

hiya,

im not a nurse or anything, but i would recommend the south or western suburbs, theyre a lot nicer as the north can be a bit industrial and quite rough also. feeling at home in the city is quite difficult, but if you get yourself out to glenelg or brighton or even down to henley square, theres much more of a homey feel to it. and a holiday feel too! its great being in the nice weather and nice beaches and being 20 mins from home... like a constant holiday. ive been here 2 years now, and wouldnt go back!

good luck to ya! :)

Guest salisbury massive

There are PLENTY of beautiful places to live in the North and North East. Now I wouldn't recommend Salisbury, South, North, Plain or Park as places to live but I'm assuming you don't want a 30 - 40 minute commute from the western suburbs or a 50 - 60 minute commute from the Southern suburbs.

Have a look on realestate.com.au in these areas Greenwith, Salisbury Heights, Salisbury East, Gulfview Heights, Golden Grove, Wynn Vale, Highbury, Athelstone, Rostrevor, Modbury Heights. If you want to be a bit further North try Craigmore and Gawler. All these suburbs have excellent schools and are within a 20 minute drive of Salisbury area. The only industrial part of the North East is around Elizabeth where the Holden factory is and Edinburgh where they are doing quite a lot of building. Driving up Main North Road from the city can be a bit of an eye opener, its full of car yards and some factories but so is South Road.

Our nearest proper beach is Semaphore which is about 40 minutes drive from the Salisbury area.

Please do not be put off the North East suburbs by sweeping statements saying the whole area is industrial and rough. It certainly isn't, we are only 15 minutes from the Adelaide Hills, 45 minutes from the Barossa Valley and Jacobs Creek wineries. Linear Creek offers beautiful walk and cycle tracks. You can get lost at Morialta Park for hours walking the trails and a trip to Waterfall Gully should not be missed. We have good public transport links to the City both train and bus. Lots of great shopping centres. The only down side to being in the north east is its over 1/2 an hour to the beach, however thats half an hour, whatever the weather, time of day and traffic.

Jo

Guest pommyprincess

as you can tell there is a big north south thing in adelaide. the northerners say the south is a hole and the southerners say the north is a hole.

gawler is nice i would have to agree. and if you really have to live in the north then i would go gawler.. the only thing is, its miles from the city, and the beach aswell.

on the plus side the north is cheap as to live in.

Hi and welcome to PIA this is a great site and there will always be someone on here who can answer your questions. We also arrive early next year, I think the best thing to do is wait until you get Adelaide and have a good look round, what is good for you may not be good for someone else as we all have our own views on what is more important when choosing where to live, ie. schools, work, social life etc. You can never do too much research, so good luck with all your plans and remember it is all part of the adventure.

Jo x

Hi

I second everything Jo has said about the North East and I (and she) certainly wouldn't dream of saying the South is a hole - nothing to do with any sort of north/south divide, just as Jo said, why spend hours commuting in a car every day when you could be home in a lovely suburb with a glass of wine in your hand 15 minutes after leaving work! As you know where you'll be working, you can focus your research on places within easy reach. Come have a drive around the Eastern side, from Golden Grove down to Athelstone (with a small loop to get round the river!), and see what you think of places like Fairview Park, Greenwith, Wynn Vale, Salisbury Heights, Hope Valley, Tea Tree Gully, Vista, Highbury, Dernancourt, Athelstone.. Stop off at Tea Tree Plaza shopping centre, or Golden Grove shopping centre for lunch!

Hope you manage to find somewhere you like - all of the above places are maximum 30 minutes in the rush hour to Salisbury.

Diane

It all depends on what you want and how you perceive things. In the south you are closer to the beaches in the south but there is more to life than sand and salt water. We live in the south not because we think it is better than the north but because we believe Woodcroft Primary takes some beating and our location is perfect for shops, beach, city, expressway and everything else we need.

If you are working in the north then I would start your search there. I don't see it as a north/south thing at all. I love where I live. Just because it is in the south dosn't mean I couldn't find a similar location north of the city. Take any advice you hear on here and then check it out for yourself.

Good luck and happy suburb hunting

Pete

Guest katsmajic

Just to echo whats been said already - we looked round up north, cos its cheaper basically and although we did see some nice areas we were just drawn to the south - despite my oh's work primarily based in the north...as we love the beaches/life down here.

Pin where you'll be working, your lucky to know that in advance and then decide how much of a commute you are prepared to do everyday etc, then look round - there are some beauitful areas all over Adelaide.

There are some areas that are cheaper, both north and south, but generally if an area is very cheap, there is a good reason for it! Most of the areas that Jo and I mentioned in the North/North East are, I'm afraid, not amongst the "cheap" ones, unless you are comparing to UK prices! They are also within easy reach of the City and everything that has to offer, both adults and children. I have posted before on here about the advantages all round of being able to get into the City easily - for children, the best sports and arts clubs are centrally located, and for adults, the best choice for shows/sporting events/restaurants are City-based, in or close to. There are excellent schools, both private and state, in this area too.

There are PLENTY of beautiful places to live in the North and North East.

Please do not be put off the North East suburbs by sweeping statements saying the whole area is industrial and rough. It certainly isn't, we are only 15 minutes from the Adelaide Hills, 45 minutes from the Barossa Valley and Jacobs Creek wineries. Linear Creek offers beautiful walk and cycle tracks. You can get lost at Morialta Park for hours walking the trails and a trip to Waterfall Gully should not be missed. We have good public transport links to the City both train and bus. Lots of great shopping centres. The only down side to being in the north east is its over 1/2 an hour to the beach, however thats half an hour, whatever the weather, time of day and traffic.

Jo

Too true. We are in Ridgehaven and loving it...there is so much around the as Jo says, everything else is so easily accessible from this area.

Hi

We are in the North Eastern suburb of Redwood Park. It is a lovely place to live and has a great school. I personally think the North East is a great place to live and I will not comment on living in the South as I dont live there. There are great areas all over Adelaide, North, South, East and West. Try driving in each direction using your place of work as a starting point and driving for how long you want to commute, you are bound to see areas you like the look of and will give you more of an idea on where you want to live

Wendy

Guest Medindie Delight
Don't overlook the Western suburbs between the City and the sea.

Why do a lot of people moving over here always look to the south ?

I think it's the gorgeous scenery of Port Stanvac with the oil it still leaks into the sea and asbestos in the air.... Who wouldn't want to be near that....

Guest panther
I think it's the gorgeous scenery of Port Stanvac with the oil it still leaks into the sea and asbestos in the air.... Who wouldn't want to be near that....

If you believe that is the case then you would be best advised to contact the Enviromental Protection Authority immediately.:realmad: and report your sightings of the Oil and Asbestos.

Guest salisbury massive

I have no feelings regarding any north / south devide and I certainly wouldn't say the south is a hole!!!!!!

I came from the South Coast of England, 7 miles of golden sandy beaches and a beach hut I could access any time of year.

My primary reason for moving to the North/East suburbs was quite simple, my brother lived in Oakden and I could see no possible reason why I would want to move my whole family 12,000 miles and still be over an hours drive from him, beach or no beach. As I said sweeping statements that the whole Northern Suburbs are nasty, cheap and rough are not true. People say the same about Hackam & places along the southern suburbs. Not everywhere is a bed of roses, as with the UK. I lived in a house worth 1/2 a million quid, ten minutes down the road was the dodgiest council estate on the South Coast, bus drivers were afraid to take the buses down there after dark.

Since Salisbury was mentioned as the work place, it would seem obvious to start looking nearby and I have good local knowledge of the area. If they are desperate to live near a beach then Semaphore down would be natural choices. Just don't be put off some very lovely areas by the reputation of another. People say the North is cheap to buy but last week in the paper Holden Hill had the highest property price moves by 46% and Salisbury Heights 36.6%. The further north they build, the closer you become to the city. There are good transport links from Gawler to town but I guess it all depends on what you are looking for as a family.

Jo :cute:

Guest salisbury massive

Now I wouldn't recommend Salisbury, South, North, Plain or Park as places to live. Chavvy?? Far worse than that.

I mentioned those parts in a previous post.

Guest Alipally

The Hills The Hills!!! You really need to look at the hills:p

I don't live there, but if you have to work in the North and as has already been mentioned Salisbury is 'special' then you might want to live somewhere away from your patients.... (supermarket shopping can be a mare iykwim!)

It's close enough to the north and the city, it's got a village feel to it, and it's cooler in the summer! (I'm told that you'll be grateful for the lower temps in the summer)

Minus: it is EXPENSIVE! Although not compared to the UK! Head up to Stirling, Have a look at Mount Barker and Hahndorf.... this time of year it feels very European.

www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au

Both give you a feel for the places. We also invested in a book called where to live in Adelaide, it has been useful so far.

The Hills The Hills!!! You really need to look at the hills:p

I don't live there, but if you have to work in the North and as has already been mentioned Salisbury is 'special' then you might want to live somewhere away from your patients.... (supermarket shopping can be a mare iykwim!)

It's close enough to the north and the city, it's got a village feel to it, and it's cooler in the summer! (I'm told that you'll be grateful for the lower temps in the summer)

Minus: it is EXPENSIVE! Although not compared to the UK! Head up to Stirling, Have a look at Mount Barker and Hahndorf.... this time of year it feels very European.

www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au

Both give you a feel for the places. We also invested in a book called where to live in Adelaide, it has been useful so far.

Its also a lot colder and wetter in the winter;). As already said , there are areas to suit peoples needs north and south, east and west .......depends what you want and more importantly WHAT YOUR BUDGET IS:wacko:.Some places will probably out of reach ... unless youve got a fair pot! You can like trees and live in trees, nice in summer , dismal in winter.....IMO.Live on the flats , if you dont mind doing anyhing other than looking up for your views but you will be nearer the city. Live on a hill , and have views, but be a little further out.. Live near beaches ,live in the hills? Live near life,restaurants,cafes, bars............these areas do seem to be more expensive though.Why............cos a lot of people also want to live there.;)

Look at your budget, look where your working, but for me the best advice I can give IMO, is to live on a good transport route that can get you into the city...........whether that be train, bus, tram or O Bahn...............it gives easy access to what Adelaide has to offer....................that is if you want it.

Guest brandyslad

Good info on this, can anyone give the web address for Adelaide's public transport links? Does the tram only go round the city centre? That is one of my main 'wants' to be near a public transport route. We live in rural Ireland and public transport is non existent so want to be able to make the most of it when we go to the city.

tram does not go round the city centre but right through it and round to the station. This however passes RundleMall, a lot of businesses and the centralmarket. Most of the banks etc are clustered around the Mall anyway. the tram is free between South Tce and NthTce. FromSoth Tce toGlenelg you Have topay.

www.adelaidemetro.com.au is the site for your needs.