Hi, I've been here almost 6 years but only just found this forum

Guest Jo&Phil

Guest Jo&Phil

.........and it would have been very useful to have discovered it before I arrived!

I'm Jo and I'm from Hampshire and I'm married to an Aussie (Adelaide born and bred) so I now call Australia home too. :D

And I LOVE it !!!

Guest Jo&Phil

Thank you for the kind welcomes.

I met Phil here and he's very much an Adelaidian!

We're in Flagstaff Hill .... apparantly the Onkaparinga council area has the highest amount of UK immigrants .... Phil thinks I've sent out a homing beacon to attract other Poms.

We're in Flagstaff Hill .... apparantly the Onkaparinga council area has the highest amount of UK immigrants .... Phil thinks I've sent out a homing beacon to attract other Poms.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:I think he might be right!!!

Welcome to PIA Jo and Phil, nice to have you on board

Judi x

Hi, I've been out here 6 years too. At the time I arrived in Australia there were no forums set up apart from BE but I only discovered that one by chance being bored at work one day! I was one of the original members on the yellow screen and this forum. It's a great way to meet friends and share your experiences. Welcome. :wubclub:

I was just wondering today how many English spouses we had on here married to Australians, and currently in Adelaide... so now I know there is at least!

Weird for me settling here because it feels like home in so many ways cos I first came here 10 years ago. But coming back after 10 years in the UK is difficult for DH in some ways too. Particularly slotting back into family life and finding some friends are not as we expected, despite having stayed in touch all this time.

I was just wondering today how many English spouses we had on here married to Australians, and currently in Adelaide... so now I know there is at least!

Hi,

I am an English spouse but still in England! We are hoping to move back to Adelaide but the credit crunch has made us think twice. We will put the house on the market in the spring and see what happens. I met my Adelaide born and bred husband nearly 17 years ago (!) and we got married in 1994 in Adelaide. The internet didn't even exist then and the only 'poms' I knew were a couple of blokes where I worked. You guys are lucky to have PIA and the internet and a network of other 'poms' to meet up with. I wonder how easy we will find it settling back into Adelaide life after so long in the UK. All our friends have got kids now (like us) and moved on in their lives.

It would be interesting to find out how we all met our Australian other halves. I met mine, whilst I was backpacking around Oz, at a remote place in the Flinders Ranges called Arkaroola. I know a few other couples who met there too.

Anne

HI Anne!

I met mine in a tiny little place called the King of Hearts in Norwich... he was backpacking and stayed with a friend of mine for a weekend - we met, got on ok, I showed him round Norwich for a day, and then he got on a plane to Germany to trace some family heritage and then came back to Australia... eventually we wrote, emailed (after getting internet access about 6 mths after we first met) and then emailed, phoned, airmailed... then we decided he had to come back and he got a working holiday visa... we were engaged a year later, and married 6 mths after that...

Be really happy to chat to you via message or whatever about our experience of moving back... its great having family this end to help with all the practicalities that are otherwise difficult without someone on the ground. OUrs did such a good job all we had to do was unpack our suitcases when we got here. Was amazing. We just thought that coming back was more important than the credit crisis, so have embraced it despite the circs. Good luck...

HI Anne!

I met mine in a tiny little place called the King of Hearts in Norwich... he was backpacking and stayed with a friend of mine for a weekend - we met, got on ok, I showed him round Norwich for a day, and then he got on a plane to Germany to trace some family heritage and then came back to Australia... eventually we wrote, emailed (after getting internet access about 6 mths after we first met) and then emailed, phoned, airmailed... then we decided he had to come back and he got a working holiday visa... we were engaged a year later, and married 6 mths after that...

OMG, your story is nearly a mirror image of mine yet mine is where my hubby came over on holidays to the UK to trace his family tree. We were inseparable for 2 weeks whilst he was in the UK. After nightly phone calls and daily emails, I followed my heart to be with him on a WHV. We got married just over a year after we met in Belair National Park.

Michelle

Guest Jo&Phil

We met at a dinner party ... not nearly as posh as it sounds ...... despite my preference being for picking chaps up in bars !!!!!!

He was sat on a kitchen stool swigging champagne and doing nothing towards prep for dinner and ......... he's be doing that ever since!

wow moosh thats really interesting! Bet you spent a lot on the phone... we did... I think my bill was about GBP200 a month and I was only earning 10K!! We kept all our letters and sent a whole load of copies of the better ones to the immigration people for the visa which was nice getting the 'pool room' out again and going through all the treasures. Kept all the emails too - my boss used to let me use his computer and he printed the emails out for me every morning for when I got to work!! So I gave them a few of those too!

We married in the UK and then went straight to Australia 2 days later for our honeymoon, flew to Sydney, got a bus to Canberra, went to the British high commision (or whatever its called) the next day and took a ticket like at the deli counter in tescos, and were seen together for about 20 mins, and DH got his UK residency visa there and then. Was like going to the post office....

Isnt it odd to think how each of you grew up on the other side of the world (and DH and I have so many parallels, we are only 3 mths apart in age) totally oblivious to each other, in my case never thinking I would even visit Australia - then in one foul swoop you meet and the rest is history - ordained in my view!!! We really love talking about it, still...

Hello, I'm on a spouse visa too! I met my boyfriend in a club in London called Turnmills. Not really the sort of place to meet anyone decent. I still can't believe its happened, that was over 5 years ago now. We're due to move to Adelaide in March 2009 but we're coming over for a holiday in just under 3 weeks, I can't wait.

Guest wiljenni

Hi All,

I'm an English spouse too with an Aussie OH , we met in bar in London when he was on a working holiday visa.When his two years came up we went to OZ for a year and got married in Sydney and returned to the UK.We now have a little boy and are living in Newcastke Uk and hoping to move to Adelaide ASAP. I have my permenant residency but due to this stupid credit crunch can't sell house and could not afford to rent it out either so we really feel stuck in limbo at the moment.

jennifer