Why Adelaide

Guest henrid01

Guest henrid01

Hi Folks, I'm new to this form but maybe shouldn't be here....as I'm an ex-Adelaidian living in Surrey (for the last 3 years). But will be moving back..... (in a few years).

I stumbled onto this forum as I'm about to head back to Adelaide to visit family and was looking for info about shipping.

Anyway, just as a matter of curiosity, I was wondering why any of you chose Adelaide over the "more popular" states of say Victoria or NSW? Has the SA govt been doing a push for immigration or something? Was it job prospects? The beaches?

Don't get wrong, I think Adelaide's a fantastic place, but always felt it took a back seat to other places in Australia.

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Dave

Welcome to PIA. From our point of view it seemed like our best bet - I know that doesn't sound very complimentary, but believe me it's not meant in any other way. We needed the extra points that State Sponsorship gives you and as hubby is a Painter & Decorator it would mean that in Western Australia and Victoria we would have to live not only outside the city but WAY out of it and nowhere near the beach! New South Wales didn't want us at all and we didnt' fancy the Northern Territory. In South Australia you are not restricted to just the outlaying areas - Adelaide is an option for us settling in too, so South Australia it was for us.

Yes, the SA govt. seems very welcoming with on-arrival accommodation, meet and greet services, migrant employment consultancy service and monthy information services.

Don't know how others came by their decisions, but that's ours.

How have you enjoyed your three years in Surrey?

Wendy

Guest henrid01

Hi Wendy! Thanks for your reply. Nice to know the SA govt is good for something other than taking taxes! Having said that, I did work for them for 16 years and it gave me enough money to comfortably setup in the UK so I'm not complaining! Like I said Adelaide's a great place and I think second to none in terms of lifestyle and safety in Australia. UK/Surrey's been a great experience for us. Coming from Adelaide it's really been an eye opener, as there's so much opportunity workwise in UK and also it really is the centre of the travel universe [(for all but Australia and NZ ;-)]. It's fair to say we're both looking forward to getting back to SA after we have our UK passports. That way we really will have the best of both worlds travel and workwise.

Nice to talk to you, take care.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to PIA. Don't feel like you shouldn't be here.:)

We chose Adelaide after researching all the cities in all the states.It was the only one that ticked all the boxes so to speak. I must say since arriving here I don't think we could have made a better choice.

Perth and WA appeared too 'cut off' from the rest of the country and also seemed more expensive.

Darwin and Cairns, too tropical, stormy. Wet season - Hot season - wet season - hot season. Really no appeal to us.

Brisbane ticked most boxes but the humidity put us off.

Sydney, too big, too expensive.

Melbourne too big. I'm from London and have so had enough of the big city lifestyle. I do have friends in Melbourne but that was the only thing (in my opinion) it had going for it.

It amuses me when it is reffered to as 'sleepy little Adelaide' or made the butt of a few jokes. I love it here and can't imagine living anywhere else in the country.

Pete

Hi Dave,

Welcome to PIA. I came to Adelaide because my husband has lived in Adelaide for the past 19 years and loved it. Too long a story to tell about us personally but because Bill has children here, then Adelaide was the obvious choice. We went to Queensland on holiday in December; I really liked it and would definitely consider moving there - it had a great vibe and fabulous beaches - much cleaner than Adelaide (no dogs allowed!). But overall, I really like the pace here; it is laidback and the city itself is easy to get around. Good luck.

Guest seayork2002

I am from Sydney living in the UK and chose Adelaide (which I used to visit a lot as a kid) as we want to live near a "biggish" city but I think Sydney and melbourne are too big and I can't explain it but I didn't want to live in the others (please don't take offense if you come from the others as i seem to be offending people without meaning too...not on here...yet!!!:))

Guest seayork2002

Are dogs allowed everywhere????? I am sorry if anyone on here loves dogs. But I am terrified of the thing (well at least I don't like them)

Hi Dave,

Welcome to PIA. I came to Adelaide because my husband has lived in Adelaide for the past 19 years and loved it. Too long a story to tell about us personally but because Bill has children here, then Adelaide was the obvious choice. We went to Queensland on holiday in December; I really liked it and would definitely consider moving there - it had a great vibe and fabulous beaches - much cleaner than Adelaide (no dogs allowed!). But overall, I really like the pace here; it is laidback and the city itself is easy to get around. Good luck.

Are dogs allowed everywhere????? I am sorry if anyone on here loves dogs. But I am terrified of the thing (well at least I don't like them)

Not sure of the rules, but Seacliff beach is awash with dogs every evening, which is OK if you like them, and not if you don't (as in my case!). They are meant to be on a leash during the most popular beach hours, but when we were there at 7pm the other day, there were dogs running all over the place. I've never seen a council inspector, so how they expect dog owners to comply is beyond me.

Of course, lots of people will disagree with me (dog owners!) but I would like to see certain beaches designated as dog beaches, and no dogs on other beaches. I know where I'd be!

Guest seayork2002

Away from all the dog muck like me:)

Please before anyone has a go I know some people clean it up but the stuff that is left around must come from somewhere

Not sure of the rules, but Seacliff beach is awash with dogs every evening, which is OK if you like them, and not if you don't (as in my case!). They are meant to be on a leash during the most popular beach hours, but when we were there at 7pm the other day, there were dogs running all over the place. I've never seen a council inspector, so how they expect dog owners to comply is beyond me.

Of course, lots of people will disagree with me (dog owners!) but I would like to see certain beaches designated as dog beaches, and no dogs on other beaches. I know where I'd be!

Guest tooeasy

as long as you dog is friendly and you clean up his or hers poop then I dont see a problem with dogs on the beach

more worrying is the people that drive their cars on the beach and think its ok to drive at 30-40kmph which is crazy :huh: