Hello, we're new!

Guest PeteandDavina

Guest PeteandDavina

Hi everyone

We have been regularly reading the posts on this site over the past 6 months and thought it about time we introduce ourselves. We are Pete and Davina, married with 2 young boys (ages 2yrs and 8 months). We have just started the process for our visa application for skilled migration visa (my husband being a plumber). At the moment we are sending off docs to vetassess. We are hoping to get our visa within 12 months as we want to coincide validating it with a family wedding which is taking place next Feb in Melbourne. We will spend a couple of months on a reccie. We will then return home and do some serious saving with a view to moving out beginning of 2012.

We are doing the visa application ourselves as we need to save as much money as possible and let’s face it those agents are extortionate! We have both been to Australia before, myself twice, once for 9 months and second time for 6 months. I absolutely love it and have wanted to live there permanently from my first visit. My husband had a whirlwind tour a few years ago and loved it also. We will more than likely be settling in Adelaide as I think it offers us everything we need and is especially good for families. Also of course the fact that it is probably the most affordable city in Australia really appeals to us! I have visited Adelaide about 6 years ago, my husband has never been. My husband has a sister who lives in Melbourne and of course she is trying to put us off of moving to Adelaide and trying to persuade us heavily to consider Melbourne! Unfortunately even if we wanted to move to Melbourne I just don’t think we would be able to get the house we would like for the budget we have.

Anyway, we are both really excited about our future and all it has to offer us in Australia. We are under no illusion as to how hard it may be for the first couple of years or so and are also well aware that the pound no longer stretches as far as it used to but still, the lifestyle far surpasses anything we can experience here in the UK and our children should be very happy.

Hope to hear from some of you soon and we will continue to read posts regularly.

Thanks

Davina and Pete

HI there Peter and Davina,

Firstly welcome to the site , and good luck on your quest.

We have just returned from a 5 week trip , validating our visas. We love adelaide so much and have best friends living there, we have been twice now.

You have definately chosen well .

You will also find this site so hopeful , people sharing ther experiences.

Good luck again.

Louise n Wayne

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

Welcome to the site!! Good luck with all your plans and dont forget to post as well as read!! Keep us nosey beggars informed about where you are in the process

Mandy

Hi Davina and Pete

We have a few things in common, my children are 2 and 8months and I too have spent a lot of time in Australia and wanted to live there FOR EVER!! (Maybe you are not as obsessed as I was)

My hubby Nathan is a trady too, he has his own plastering business.

Just wanted to say hi and good luck with everything, look forward to seeing you on here.

Denise

Guest PeteandDavina

Hi Louise and Wayne

Thanks for your reply. So you've just come back from having your visas validated. When are you looking at moving out there? Or does that depend on selling your house? It's such a tough time at the moment - if you haven't sold it yet good luck and hope it sells soon.

Davina and Peter

Guest PeteandDavina

Hi Denise

Thanks for your reply. Yes a few things in common! I bet you can't wait to get over there now, June will come around before you know it. Good luck with all the preparation and packing. Will keep you informed of our progress.

Davina and Peter

Guest Guest75

Welcome Davina and Pete.

Good luck with your plans.

Good for you recognising that the money side may never be the same.

It's funny seeing you say "By 2012".

My aim was to be here for New Years Eve 2000 - missed it by 4 months and ended up in May 2000.Seems so long ago.:)

Always nice to read a post from people who having obviously got their head screwed on right

Strange I haven't posted on here yet.:unsure::biglaugh:

Welcome to PIA. D&P Adelaide isn't going anywhere so there is no reason not to take your time and do things properly. I admire your patience. Good luck with everything and look forward to seeing you progress.

Pete

Guest The Pottertons

I have to agree with Pete, i also admire your patience and we are hoping also to take our time and arrive with some savings to stabilise us initially. My hubby is also a plumber but going through vetassess as a carpenter as he's done that for longer. We have our practical this month and so are just ahead of you in the process. Good luck with everything and im sure if you have any questions one of the numerous wise owls on here will have the answer- its great!!!! Yvonne and Mark.