Lots of questions..Please could anyone help!!

Guest PAV

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any answers to the following as we have just started this whole process and have so much to ask.... Here goes

1. Is 18months a realistic target in order to obtain a 175 skilled independent visa?

2. We have a mitsibishi L200 which we owe some money on , is it worth saving to pay this off and ship it over cause I heard the price of vehicles are expensive!! Saul is in the building game so this would be ideal as it works as a van and a car. (We realise in his work he will have to travel about).

3. How much cash would be a resonable amount to take in order to get set up. We would rent 1st.

Would be very grateful for any feedback.

Thanks so much

Claire and family x

Guest ReadyPenny

oops sorry

1 18 months is realistic

2 Cars are expensive in Oz but they are also expensive to ship and are subject to stringent conditions at customs re cleanliness etc etc. YOu also need to consider whether you could get parts and a mechanic over there to repair it.

3 The question of set up costs is purely personal. If you are going to rent and have a job to go to then you wouldnt need that much. Some people on here have gone with around £5k and made it work. If you have no jobs however, then you would need a little more. It would also depend on whether you will ship your stuff from here or buy new??

You can ask anything you like on here and will get an answer to all your questions so keep on posting!

Best Wishes

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for your reply it was very useful. Lots of things to think about at the moment as you probably know... Well done for getting your visa, bet you are soo excited!!! We are nearly ready to submit my hubby's tra skills assessment so firstly fingers crossed we get it completed and two I so hope it gets passed...

Thanks again.

Claire and family x

Guest kfoley0681

hi yes 18 months is fine and realistic. with the car it depends on how much its worth there are lots of costs involved you will need to pay shipping costs import tax it has to have a roadworthy test and be payed for then it need plates road tax etc so it depends on what it will cost and how much you would spend here. i think you need to be realistic with money you cant come here on a shoe string to rent a house you need a few thousand to put down as a bond and rent in advance food etc with living costs it soon disapears! since aug i would say we have spend around £20k! so unless you can really budget be aware!!!

Thanks for that. We need to weigh up how much a car would be in Aus against the shipping of ours. Mandy also made a good point even if we did get it over would we get parts and a mechanic to fit them. We were just thinking that it would be one less thing to purchase once we were there and my husband could drive around looking for work. That whats this site is brilliant for it gives you points of view which you haven't thought of!!!

As for the money its save, save save!!!

Thanks again

Guest Martin and Val

I can only answer one question, and in my opinion it's not worth bringing your car over with you. Not that I tried it just what you learn from others.

Take a look at http://www.carsales.com.au/ for car sales which will give you a good idea of prices.

We sold our car in England and to buy the same here was probably double the price for the exact same model. That's life and you have to except it. Personally after we bought ours after being here for a week we realised that most dealers were offering damn good deals on new. If you have the funds that is the direction I would go as they don't lose the value as much or as quick as your used to in England.

Somebody may have a different opinion.

Good luck

Martin

Thanks for the reply Martin. We have had a look at that website and near enough the same truck is selling for £40k!! It would cost £1,500 to ship over but we will have to get through strict rules in customs, taxes, and register it. So just weighing it up amongst many other things at the moment!!!

Cheers

Claire and family

Hi there;

depends on the car; i wanted to bring my saab 93 aero;but the cost was extortionate, so sold he was, sob!

You can pick up a reasonable car, but it is a case of "buyer beware"..................you pays your money and all that jazz.

Hopefully, you will enjoy Adelaide, and SA as a whole; ive been here just over 2 months, and i love it.

good luck