• Results 1 to 3 of 3
    1. #1

      Teaching in Adelaide

      Hi everyone! I've just stumbled upon this site, so forgive me if I'm starting a thread that has already been discussed -

      I am 23 and halfway through a PGCE in Primary Education. I'd love to move to Adelaide after I complete my first year of teaching here in the UK. I was wondering if anyone knew how the application process works in Adelaide for teaching jobs? And I heard that you have to do some sort of conversion course or extra qualification when you move from the UK to Aus if you want to teach, and that you have to do it in a remote area where they have difficulties attracting teachers? Is this right? I'm constantly hearing that they're desperate for teachers in Aus, but is this really the case?

      I've chosen Adelaide because I have family there, but I'm not sure they'd know about the application process for Brits.

      Thank you to anyone who can help me!

    2. #2
      Dave & Carole
      Hi - welcome to PIA. You need to go the following website: www.teachingaustralia.ed.au/ta/go/home/pid/469. That will give you overall rules. Then contact SA education authority if your plans are definite for Adelaide: Teacher Registration Board of South Australia. When we started this process I found they were really helpful & replied to emails well.

      I might be wrong, but I think you do have to do an element of retraining - due to the fact you have done a PGCE. They recognise a four year B. Ed as qualified teacher status but for a PGCE you have to do a bit more. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but check with them as I may have that wrong & may depend on what degree you have & where you did it!!!! Fickle.

      Good luck.


    3. #3

      Senior Member
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Adelaide Hills
      26 times

      No a PGCE will be fine and is accepted here it's the one done in schools that isn't - TTA I think. You may need more than one year post quals experience though, you would need to check that out. It is hard to get work here unless you are teaching a shortage subject e.g. maths/physics. There are plenty of primary teachers and those who can teach the other subjects.

      The only way of getting a permanent job in the state system is to teach in a remote place for at least two years - there is no way round this. You may be lucky and get a job in a private school, but I would imagine they pick the most experienced teachers first as they have to ensure value for money/quality of what they offer etc.. There really isn't a shortage at the moment and if you are happy to do temporary or supply teaching it will be fine, but a lot of people want more security than this when moving abroad - particularly if you come on a visa that offers no access to benefits of any kind.

      Make sure you keep all paperwork from your course, transcripts, hours of teaching practice etc.. as these are needed when you register here.


    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums