Heading to Adelaide, little bit scared :)

Guest georgiepies

Guest georgiepies

Hi everyone,

I'm a 28 year old nanny and I am moving to Adelaide in April with the family that I work for over here. It was a tough decision as I'm very settled where I am here in Brighton UK but I figured these opportunities don't come along very often.

I will be staying with them initially but want to go into a house/flat share. My biggest fear is not knowing ANYONE, I have a brother in Melbourne but that is still quite a way away.

Would love some more info about Adelaide from people who live there. I'm getting the impression that it's a very family orientated coupley place....will I be the only single person around??? :) I'm a very social person, love getting to know new people and doing new things. Feeling apprehensive about the whole thing at the mo but i'm sure that's normal. Also want to know about any toddler groups or other nannyies around?? I'm hoping to look into doing a course or two as well. So much to think about!!!

Any advice/words of wisdom are most welcome.

Hope to chat to some of you soon.

Georgina

Guest ReadyPenny

At least you will know the family you are moving with! Some dont know anybody at all. Dont worry, you will soon make friends, there is a big community on here that have loads of meet ups etc and the aussies are very friendly. There are load of playgroups etc, depends where you will be living. One of the guys who is already there will tell you where they are, if you tell us which area you will be living in initially.

Welcome to the site and dont worry most people on here are in the same boat!

Mandy

Guest The Pottertons

Hi Georgina, congrats on your exciting decision! I dont think making friends will be an issue if you have get up and go as you say you have! You just need to accept all invites and put yourself out there. We went out last year for a reccie and met so many lovely PIA ers who were so welcoming that it put my mind at rest!!! I like you am now looking at what couses i can do when i arrive! When will you be going? Good Luck with it all, Yvonne xx

hi hun and welcome to pia. Do you know which area you will be moving to yet? Theres lots of social groups you could become involved in for people your age. Many are posted on the internet, just takes courage to join up. check out gumtree in adelaide http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/ for things like flatshares, obviously dont go checking them out alone!!

hope this helps x