Pros and cons of Adelaide

Guest jabaspurs

Guest jabaspurs

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been posted before or something similar. But i'm torn between going to Brisbane or Adelaide.

Please could anyone give me any pros and cons about Adelaide.

All info would be helpful

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I have just come back form Brisbane and although I didnt see much of it, waht I did see was very green, and it was humid and rained for the three days I was there:mad:. Not that it made much difference to me, I was inside on a training course.

i always say Adelaide is not hot enough for long enough for me! I love the 40+ days! I am not sure the sky is blue enough for long enough in Brissy for me!

Climate wise I dont think you can go far wrong in Adelaide. plus the airport and everything is never too far.

Hope that helps in some way!

sarah

I live here have done so for many years and think it's just great. It depends what you are l;ooking for and only you will know that so try short listing what you want from the place you would choose to live.

My pros for Adelaide include

definite seasons with just enough coldness to enjoy fires and winter warming hot food etc

long light evenings in summer

gets dark at 5.30 mid winter.

easy to get around

easy and quick to get out of

really really good early childhood ed, some of the other states treat it as not so important.

kids can start school at 5 not 6

it is not the east coast with it's brasher way of life.

it is great for families.

Guest Chelseadownunder

I hope I can help with this question. We read all the good and bad before we came and to be honest we were worried that we may be doing the wrong thing. But we are here, its great. It really is. Beaches, house prices, easy getting around, wine, friendly, sun/climate, Schools, attitude of the people is generally positive I could go on....

Negs not many, White tail in our bedroom and red backs in our gas meter, but they really arent a major issue, you get use to the fact they are about and take precautions No Worries!! With so many places just a cheap flight away Like Bris-vagas Sydney & Melbourne just about 45 bucks. If you need anymore reasons just drop us a line

Scott UK

IFA in UK Financial Adviser in Adelaide

Guest SA Great

For me in summer there is quite possibly no better place in the world than Adelaide. Clear blue skies day after day, great beaches, heaps to do especially around Feb/March. However, once May comes I actually find it cold and a bit boring!! Once you leave the suburbs of Adelaide there isn't a huge amount of things to do. OK I know we have KI and Yorkes but once you have been there once or are into fishing then they can be a bit dull.

So IMO Adelaide good points are

• Great beaches
  • Easy to get around
  • Spacious
  • Great summer weather
  • Festivals, Clipsal 500 etc in March
  • Cheap housing if you stay away from the city centre

Bad points

• Cold winters
  • A bit boring once you have lived here a long time
  • Not much to do when you leave the city
  • Generally poorer than the other states so not as much infrastructure gets built eg new sports stadium
  • tends to miss out on some touring music artists eg Coldplay

Hope this helps

Guest ReadyPenny

I have never been to Brissy, but here is what I like about Adelaide and why we chose to live there.

Four definite seasons

Small City, big enough to have everything you need but small enough not to overwhelm

You can get almost anywhere in 30 mins (excluding rush hour of course!)

Beautiful beaches

Warm, friendly and accepting people

A laid back "no worries" attitude to most things

Beautiful views of the coast and the city from the hills.

I agree with SA Great, I feel that once we have been there a few years we may get a little bored, particularly as Amber reaches 16-18. However that is 5/6 years away so I will deal with that when it happens. For now Adelaide has everything I am looking for.

Mandy

Guest SA Great
I have never been to Brissy, but here is what I like about Adelaide and why we chose to live there.

Four definite seasons

Small City, big enough to have everything you need but small enough not to overwhelm

You can get almost anywhere in 30 mins (excluding rush hour of course!)

Beautiful beaches

Warm, friendly and accepting people

A laid back "no worries" attitude to most things

Beautiful views of the coast and the city from the hills.

I agree with SA Great, I feel that once we have been there a few years we may get a little bored, particularly as Amber reaches 16-18. However that is 5/6 years away so I will deal with that when it happens. For now Adelaide has everything I am looking for.

Mandy

good post Mandy. are you still in Manchester or are you here now?

With so many places just a cheap flight away Like Bris-vagas Sydney & Melbourne just about 45 bucks. Scott UK

IFA in UK Financial Adviser in Adelaide

Hi Scott - where are you finding 45 bucks? the cheapest we've found in 3 years to Sydney has been 89 there and 149 back, however normally much more than that. When we went we spent 528 for two return flights. Melbourne is slightly cheaper but I've never seen these bargains - please can you point us in right direction - would love to go there again before we leave so not being funny in this post just want to know the website you've found and we missed.

Thank you

C

Guest SA Great
Hi Scott - where are you finding 45 bucks? the cheapest we've found in 3 years to Sydney has been 89 there and 149 back, however normally much more than that. When we went we spent 528 for two return flights. Melbourne is slightly cheaper but I've never seen these bargains - please can you point us in right direction - would love to go there again before we leave so not being funny in this post just want to know the website you've found and we missed.

Thank you

C

When they have specials you can get really cheap flights. Check out Tiger Airways. They have fares to Melbourne from $35 at the moment. Don't think they go to Sydney from here though. I usually check out Tiger, Virgin Blue, Jetstar and Qantas.

Guest mightyBouch

Bad points

• Cold winters
  • Generally poorer than the other states so not as much infrastructure gets built eg new sports stadium

Hope this helps

Could you define "Cold winters"?

Guest ReadyPenny

We were there in the middle of last winter, so can only speak for one year. It was generally between 14 and 18 during the day, but dropped to freezing at night. I didnt believe this until I experienced it but believe me it happens

Mandy

Guest sarahsmartiepants
When they have specials you can get really cheap flights. Check out Tiger Airways. They have fares to Melbourne from $35 at the moment. Don't think they go to Sydney from here though. I usually check out Tiger, Virgin Blue, Jetstar and Qantas.

You might find cheap prices but then there are the add ons, ie seat, luggage airprot tax etc . they are still reasonably priced though

yes we arrived in winter and it does get very cold. Half of the problem is the houses just arent heated the same and single glazing. Bring all your winter duvets. im actually looking forward to a bit of cold weather so we can try the gas fire out in our new home. couldnt believe how cold it did get and im sure we will feel it worse this time after a hotsummer :idea:

Guest mightyBouch
yes we arrived in winter and it does get very cold. Half of the problem is the houses just arent heated the same and single glazing. Bring all your winter duvets. im actually looking forward to a bit of cold weather so we can try the gas fire out in our new home. couldnt believe how cold it did get and im sure we will feel it worse this time after a hotsummer :idea:

Thanks Clare and Mandy

I guess you have to have a balance , ying and yang and all that!!

We were out in Portugal a few years ago and it was cold at nights so I guess it is similar to the Mediterranean climate.

Mike

Guest SA Great
No we are still in UK. We fly out next Sunday 01 March and arrive on 3rd. Done a reccie last year and that's how I know what it's like there.

That's amazing!!! We left on March 1st and also got here on March 3rd but that was in 1991!!!! Same dates!!

Guest SA Great

Yes the average winter max temp in say July is 15C but overnight we get quite a few temps around the 1C mark(especially in the hills). Mount Lofty occasionally gets a sprinkling of snow! Hard to believe it will ever get like that when you are in the middle of summer! The coldest max we have had is 10C, but because of the low overnight temps quite a bit of the day can be very cold.

Hope this makes sense!!

Guest ReadyPenny
That's amazing!!! We left on March 1st and also got here on March 3rd but that was in 1991!!!! Same dates!!

How mad is that? We must be destined to meet up - ha ha!

Guest Thongs Rule

I can think of more reasons to live in Brisbane than Adelaide, this is why even with all this migration to Adelaide the popluation doesn't grow very much, almost as many leave as arrive.

That said Adelaide is a great little city and if you work within some industries you have to come to Adelaide or Melbourne as they don't exist in other cities.

Bad points

• Cold winters

Cold Winters How soon you forget the UK, I admit once you get aclimatised you can feel the cold but only for a few days in July. Not much to do, a good excuse to go to the east coast for a long weekend and theres not much to do there if you leave the city. Well we are a bit poorer but that was Tim Marcus Clarkes fault, The State Bank lets hope that never happens again but we are getting things done now and Coldplay, a trip to the east.

Mind you every weekend you can here me say theres nothing to do !!!!!!!

Brisbane was my first choice. Now I have experienced Adelaide and watched the weather channel most days to compare the two places I can't imagine why I ever wanted to live there.:err:

Pete

Guest SA Great
Bad points

• Cold winters

Cold Winters How soon you forget the UK, I admit once you get aclimatised you can feel the cold but only for a few days in July. Not much to do, a good excuse to go to the east coast for a long weekend and theres not much to do there if you leave the city. Well we are a bit poorer but that was Tim Marcus Clarkes fault, The State Bank lets hope that never happens again but we are getting things done now and Coldplay, a trip to the east.

Mind you every weekend you can here me say theres nothing to do !!!!!!!

There seems to be a lot of trips to the East on that post Marty!!!! lol

Adeladie can be very appealing if you have a young family. It also has seasons which is an advantage.

But the disadvantage is its very cold in winter and the houses are poorly built with little insulation. Job opportunities are also limited.

There is also not alot to do. (People do get fed up of the beach)

If you have older childen than Adelaide is not so appealing. Older children are more likely to go off to uni in Melbourne, Syndey etc.

I know of a family who moved to Brisbrane 12 years ago. They had a 4 bedroomed modern house in UK. In Brisbrane they have a lovely bungalow with large gardens and pool. They also have a boat. One of there sons works at the famous Aus zoo. This family is very happy.

I know of another family that moved to Brisbrane 3 months ago. They had family there. The family gave them a lovely house to live in, with pool. But 3 months later they have returned to the UK because they were not happy. Some people would question they did not give themselves long enough. But they have returned to the UK, kids in the same school and doing the same activities. The husband has been given his job back. These people are much happier in the UK. All they need to do now is look for a house.

There are lots of people who live in Adelaide, France, Spain etc who made the decision to leave England and are not happy where there are. However, the sad part is if these people sell there house it still would not give them enough funds to move back to England and start up again.