Newbie.......Nurse......Oz here we come!

Guest NickAlEllaHolly

Guest NickAlEllaHolly

Hello everyone,

Just joined about 20 mins ago. I am a psychiatric nurse looking into the possibility of emigrating to Australia, Adelaide sounds wonderful. Just now got to convince the wife, who's parents live 2 miles away !!! Anyone one else with parents who were that close ??? Before the move....How have you got on ???

Anyway......a big hello from a rainy Wales, soon hopefully a sunny Australia......

Nick ;)

Hi! there, welcome to PIA. I am also an RMN in South Wales. Just starting the process of applying for registration in Oz. We also fancy Adelaide but have the same dilemma as you, family only around the corner. It's the distance really but still we have our own family and their future to think of. The other unknown is how different work might be, but then again thats also a positive challenge I suppose. I noticed they are recruiting in Adelaide for mental health nurses as there have been major changes and money put into services there. Looks interesting. I think O'Grady Peyton are recruiting for this. All the best, will look out for your posts. If you check out Poms in Oz they have a nurses link with loads of good info on it!

Hi Nick,

Welcome to PIA

I would say that moving here it is only going to work if you both want to do it. If she is only going to do it because you want it so bad it won't work once you get here. The fact that her parents only live round the corner so to speak will only make matters work. I would mention it a few times and then ask her what she thinks of doing it.

Life here can be good. It can also be hell if you are extremely close to friends and relations back home.

Think hard and make sure your wife really wants to come out before you start the process.

Pete

Guest maxxangel

Hi and welcome to the site.

I have to agree with Pete, that you both have to be committed to this move. I was the driving force behind this move for us and I still REALLY struggled with homesickness and missing my family. I lived about 5 miles from my parents and we're close. I still hope they will join us. My mum's a nurse and is looking at sponsorship.

My husband was never particularly close to his family (lived same distance away), but they took it very badly and his dad hasn't spoken to him for over a year, but that's another story.

Sorry, that sounds all doom and gloom, but you have asked the hardest question first. Homesickness and parting from family, friends and familiararity is arguably the hardest part of emigrating. Having said that, if you are both committed to the move then the bright side is that you can get over it. It is often hardest for women (more emotional anyway aren't we?;)) or the person staying at home as they don't get the company of others at work.

Hope I haven't completely put you off! We're still here!:D

Cara

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Nick

Welcome! My parents live 200yds away and I am close to them but my 11 year old daughter is attached to them permenantly!! She goes there every Friday after school and does not return until Sunday evening! Now, whilst most people would think Wooohoooo a weekend you yourself, it's no joking matter - really. Sean's parents live 1.5 miles away and we do not see them as often, so it's not as difficult. My parents and my family (the 3 of us) live in each other's pockets, so to speak and they know everything that happens in our lives. It will be difficult and at the moment Amber is a bit opposed to the move, but then again, she is 11 and this changes by the hour! The most important thing is both Sean and I are in this together, we totally agree that it is the best thing for our family and we also agree that 2 years is our deadline. If we are not happy at the 2 year anniversary we will board a plane and start again in the UK, with nothing but the help of our family and friends.

Good luck with your plans

Mandy

Guest ReadyPenny

Parko

Not sure what you mean, it's a bit late for me, but if you mean the visa and stuff yes we got everything and we fly out on Sunday to live in Adelaide!

Mandy

Guest NickAlEllaHolly

Dear All,

Thanks to everyone that has posted so quickly, I have joined forums in the past and sometimes waited about week for a response.

Many thanks for all your advice and information and I will keep you updated, like I said we are really just at the start of the long processes, not even applied for visa's or anything yet.

The one good thing about both working for the NHS, is that we both can take one year out of our jobs.......and come back to them if we want. Maybe go down that route, one year should be enough to decied ?

Regards Nick, Thanks agian. :D