Adelaide Hills!!!!!!

Guest thecollinsbunch

Guest thecollinsbunch

Hi pia

Can anyone tell me how far it is to the beach from mount Barker?What are the best areas in the hills.Is property in the hills loads cheaper than the coast,if you could choose anywhere to live in Adelaide where would it be ??????

thanks

julie x:confused:

Guest teabag

I live in the hills, because the weather is much cooler, the scenery is nicer, the roads are bendier, and there is a more village style community spirit going on.

Anywhere along the Crafers, Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater, Verdun, Hahndorf, Mount Barker freeway corridor is convenient for commuting into the city, with prices highest (actually very high) in Crafers/Stirling and getting lower as you get further away from the city (Mount Barker). Travelling time to the city ranges from 15 to 25 minutes. Travelling time to the beach you can add another 20 minutes on.

The Hills villages on the roads going off at right angles to the freeway, like Woodside, Balhannah and Nairne get cheaper but the standard of the local facilities gradually decreases and the feralness gradually increases.

Then there are some very nice (possibly the nicest of all) but rather isolated villages in the Hills, like Uraidla, Summertown and Lobethal. Prices are moderate but the travelling time to the city is quite high.

teabag

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spannaelephant

Hi, we've been looking at properties to buy in the Crafers to Mount Barker corridor, and are currently renting at Glenelg beach, it takes 50 minutes to get up and down, obviously depending on traffic, signals and trains and trams!

You definately get more land moving towards the hills if it's space you want, and the Martindale estate and others surrounding it in mount barker seem to be up and coming with lots of new builds and plots available, and I'm sure would be a great community to live in..............

Guest SA Great

Yeah about 45 mins to the beach from Mount Barker and if I could live anywhere......Gold Coast! tee hee seriously probably Marino or Henley Beach/Tennison.

Guest sauvignon

Hi Julie

We have been in Adelaide 6 months now,we came out the year before last to do a recky and like yourselves fancied living in the hills. You do get more land there,and there are lots of different types of properties grand and basic. Is not as cheap as you would imagine though. We did buy or should say are building in the hills,but in the Blackwood area. We get the best of both worlds,lovely scenery with the views and wildlife, but also 20 minutes to the city and 15 minutes to the beach. So it is no drama to go anywhere. The only negative thought though now is with the fires. This area is heavy in gums,but not as bad as some. My husbands work colleague has a beautiful house and land in Stirling,but was quite scared of the threat when we just had the heatwave. We are about two degrees cooler than the city,which is nice in the summer,and not too bad in the winter. But it is colder here than you think in the winter,they have very big winds that blow over the gulleys. The houses here have only single glazing and they dont have central heating as we would have. They do have reverse cooling heating which works great. Still trying to work out if cost effective,but if you need it on,you need it on.Just another thing to get your head round. Its all opposites, I find. Another endearing thing about here.I am always looking at properties as looking to convert one at present. So if you need anymore help or advice in this area give me a shout.

Guest seayork2002

I hope you don't mind me jumping in but is the Hills really in commuter distance to Adelaide of about 20 mins?

It is just we would like to live there but thought it was much further

thanks

Hi Julie

We have been in Adelaide 6 months now,we came out the year before last to do a recky and like yourselves fancied living in the hills. You do get more land there,and there are lots of different types of properties grand and basic. Is not as cheap as you would imagine though. We did buy or should say are building in the hills,but in the Blackwood area. We get the best of both worlds,lovely scenery with the views and wildlife, but also 20 minutes to the city and 15 minutes to the beach. So it is no drama to go anywhere. The only negative thought though now is with the fires. This area is heavy in gums,but not as bad as some. My husbands work colleague has a beautiful house and land in Stirling,but was quite scared of the threat when we just had the heatwave. We are about two degrees cooler than the city,which is nice in the summer,and not too bad in the winter. But it is colder here than you think in the winter,they have very big winds that blow over the gulleys. The houses here have only single glazing and they dont have central heating as we would have. They do have reverse cooling heating which works great. Still trying to work out if cost effective,but if you need it on,you need it on.Just another thing to get your head round. Its all opposites, I find. Another endearing thing about here.I am always looking at properties as looking to convert one at present. So if you need anymore help or advice in this area give me a shout.

Yes people commute from Mt Barker and surrounds. It is quite a fast run to the bottom of the Freeway with speeds averaging 80-100Km/hr. The road is not too twisty. From the bottom of the freeway you are on city roads and speed drops to 60 on the main roads so about 15-30 mins to town from there depending on traffic. Lots of people do it even school kids on buses.