Architect Jobs?

Guest Davemsy

Guest Davemsy

Hi All

I am looking to relocate to Adelaide this year with my family but am struggling to get any feedback from Australian agencies regarding work as an Architect. I know Australia has been hit by the world wide recession, but does anybody have any hints or tips on how best to go about being noticed by the agencies? I am possibly looking to fly out to Aus in the next few weeks to register personally, but only if it seems like there is work available. Having looked at the websites it does appear that there is work there, but I just can't seem to get any further than that.:unsure:

Any help will be gratefully received!

D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sauvignon

Hi

We have been in Adelaide now for 6 months now,and did a recky the year before last. My husband owned a Tour business in the UK then which we have now sold. He went round lots of agencies and told his story etc when here. When we got back he did the same thing. Like yourself it was al lot of hard work for nothing. It seems could be wrong,but the impression we were getting was unless you live here and have your visa,they are not very interested. My husband Dean,made contact with companies thant he would like to work for before the recky and he made appointments with them. He kept in contact with one that he had met and liked and told them now and again about his progress with selling his company and when he was expecting to arrive in Adelaide. Nothing to heavy just keeping them informed and letting them know that if anything came up within their company he would love to work for them. Anyhow to cut a long story short. When we arrived he went round a lot of agencies and went for quite a few interviews. He went back to see the company he wanted to see,and after 3 months and different meetings(due to people not being available)they offered my husband (Dean) a job. Basically a created position. So don`t loose heart it might take a little work and they are not always advertised but there are jobs here. There are a lot of house building companies here. (We are building ourselves) who must use architects?

If you want to talk to Dean on skype great way to do it from a distance. No problem, it may help to discuss your thoughts.

Guest soggy
Hi All

I am looking to relocate to Adelaide this year with my family but am struggling to get any feedback from Australian agencies regarding work as an Architect. I know Australia has been hit by the world wide recession, but does anybody have any hints or tips on how best to go about being noticed by the agencies? I am possibly looking to fly out to Aus in the next few weeks to register personally, but only if it seems like there is work available. Having looked at the websites it does appear that there is work there, but I just can't seem to get any further than that.:unsure:

Any help will be gratefully received!

D

Hi,

have you tried contacting construction companies directly, you may be able to get an idea about the work situation from them even if they are not interested in employing you until you get a visa.

I won't say constuction in Adelaide is not effected by the world wide reccesion but it is doing far better most other places in the world.

Simon:D

Simon

Guest Davemsy

Thanks all.

Having looked into it more, I think we need to get our visa progressed, which isn't going to be particularly straight forward as trying to transfer to the Australian Architects Assoc is very involving. I am being advised to apply under another similar profession, but visa numbers are being reduced slightly, so we'll see what happens. I think we need to be on the ground in Aus to have a better chance of getting anywhere on the job front.

We'll keep you posted on our success, and utilise your knowledge once we know we can get our visa.

D