Hello to all - We're on Our way at last!!!

Guest bennyboyuk

Guest bennyboyuk

Hi there all,

Hope everyone is okay - Finally, we are on our way out - my partner at the beginning of April, and myself a bit later. Is it true that all of a sudden there is no jobs for Brits in Adelaide at the moment??? I'm hearing a lot of sad stories about people coming back, or is this just a minority of cases??

Thanks

Ben + Christine

:notworthy:

Guest cazzie

That's great news. I don't think you should let any news put you off - you are on your way to living your dream and whatever happens will be a great experience. Adelaide is lovely and the lifestyle much more relaxing and laidback. About jobs, it is worth remembering that this year there are 52 per cent less jobs being advertised than this time last year which speaks volumes. The recession is possibly around the corner here but is not yet official. The Holden car company is putting people on short time and people are being laid off elsewhere. Not the best time for jobs exactly, but yes, it is still a minority of people who are going back, for lots of reasons.

As you will have read many times, you need to be flexible about the kind of work you are prepared to do and hopefully have enough money behind you to survive for a fair while.

I wish you lots of luck in your last weeks in England and a safe flight.

Guest Nick11

Some of it is down to luck, some of it is down to who you know and some of it depends on what sort of job you are willing to do in the short term til something better comes along.

We don't know anybody who is without a job. Most started casual - a day here , a day there - got their face know and were given permanent jobs.

My hubby used to be a sparky then retrained as a print finisher. Initially had to do unskilled work casually on a very poor rate. Then got offered half a dozen skilled jobs on good money from the contacts he'd made.

I'm a teacher who can't get work, but work in a child care centre. My boss values me so lets me work my hours around my hubbies shifts so they don't need childcare. Initially I was horrrified by my job - but its okay money, the girls I work with are lovely and more importantly it pays the bills.

It very much depends on you and what you're prepared to do.

Guest bennyboyuk

Thanks for your replies guys....

Quite simply I am willing to do anything (just about) so I hope to find something. I am on a working VISA at the moment, but am engaged to my partner so will be eligable for a full VISA which we will sort out when I am there if we get on. That does restrict me with the work though, but bar jobs, or anything will get us by. Fingers crossed we will be fine and enjoy. Dam bad timing for a global economic crisis if you ask me!! lol

Guest graandjac

:)Please DONT be put off, its down to attitude and hard work, it is the hardest part , the whole TRA, meds and visa application were a breeze compared to the last move, but hit the ground running ask lots questions, dont be afraid to ask for help and yes a bit of luck comming your way(or PMA) .Good luck and remember be positive.:)

Guest tooeasy

hi and congratulations the job situation is not as good as this time last year nowhere near as many jobs in the paper but there is still jobs about :)

a lot of the people that have or are returning to the uk are ones that still have ties to the uk eg still have a house in the uk so its relativley easy for them to return and slip back into their old lives we are loving it here adelaide has so much to offer i cant see us ever returning to the uk :):)

Guest bennyboyuk

thanks again for the messages guys. We are very excited. We stayed in brighton for a month last year and loved it! It was amazing how much adelaide is geared up for kids, so much more to offer than the uk!

Guest kangomik

Alas it's true, there are fewer jobs at the moment, and its going to get a little worse. There doom and gloom over with.

There are still jobs here, and it is a case of getting yourself out there and meeting people.

The wife works stacking shelfs on a casual basis, supposed to work a couple of half shifts a week, she ended up doing 5 this week!!!! She does it to get out and meet people, but at 20 bux and hour i don't think it's bad pay for whats involved.

Guest bennyboyuk

sue, that would be fantastic. At the moment i'm an intelligence analyst and operations manager for the highways agency traffic officer service. But as i'm on a working visa at the moment, i would take pretty much anything as i can only do it for 6 months until i'm on a perninant visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all - Well we've gone and bloody well got our Visa granted - I'm so excited.

I promised my wife that if we got our Visa I would meet her outside of her work holding a bunch of flowers - that way she would know and I would not have to say anything! All we have to do now is sell the house and book flights - we are thinking of having a 4 day sojourn in Singapore before we fly into Oz - gotta see how the money holds up!