we arrive 1st april!!!

Guest angiestaff

Guest angiestaff

we (andy and angie) arrive in adelaide on 09.00 1st april!!...it has been nearly 2 years in the planning from start to finish...the longest part being selling the bloomin house!! but we got there in the end.

i'm due to start work in a hospital in elizabeth on 20th april,anyone on here work there or know anyone who does, if so what's it like?

anyone able to advise us on the best areas to look for rental properties? considering travel to and from elizabeth, i'd prefer not to have to travel through the city to and from work so i'm aware that this will cut the number of houses available to us, also we have to dogs that are due to join us in may (after quarantine) are there many dog friendly properties available?

also we aren't bringing furniture (as we sold it with the house to first time buyers) so can anyone recommend any reasonably priced places to get furniture, even second hand stuff to start with (not the bed though!! lol)

also if anyone can thing of any more handy advice/tips etc...please let me know

ang x

Hiya!

We are making the move next Saturday - its so exciting! Ours has also been about 2 yrs to get this far so it almost doesn't seem real after so long waiting.

We have been keeping an eye on Ebay and Gumtree for secondhand furniture etc. You can get some good buys. We are lucky in that my parents are out there so can collect things for us when I see something that's worth having, lol.

We have 3 kids in tow and have shipped a few items - mainly white goods and toys and sentimental things.

We also land about 9am - are you flying Singapore Air too? I have heard good things about them - I'm really dreading the flight with the kids (ages 5, 2 and 1).

Best of luck anyway and if you locate any more places to find a bargain then point us in the right direction!

Jo xx

Guest massive

Hi

Is it lyell mcewan??? hospital we live in Gawler our friends wife on here works there we are both building in hewett but she lives at andrewss farm . However theres loads of places up this way some are iffy others not bad gawler is great excellent schools and 10 minutes away .

if you want anymore info or help get in touch

debbie

Guest massive

Ang

forgot to say enjoy the time you have left with those who matter coz when you go its worse than you can imagine but we are nearly 6 months in and although I am still not settled it does get easier and things settle down after the initial heartbreak .

Guest kangomik

if you don't need to be near the sea then i agree Gawler and Hewitt are very nice, the pet friendly bit will be the hurdle.

Greenwith, golden grove, gulfview heights gives you a 10 min drive to Elizabeth, nice run to North road also.

We got a part furnished rental, so most of our gear is still wrapped in the garage!!! we didn't bring much either.

If you do need to be near the sea it's going to be a bit of a trek, semaphore, henly area would be the easiest drive, semaphore down the xpress way, past holdens and into elizabeth would take 30 mins. Further south and the time will add on quickly, i reckon seaford rise to elizabeth would tak over an hour, using tapleys hill road rather than battling through the city.

Cheap furniture, ebay and gumtree are a bit hit and miss, but it has got better lately. The Advertiser on a friday sells a lot of home stuff ( private adds).

The rest you can get from the side of the road. (not joking LOL)

Sounds like your comming in on singapore, wonderfull stress free experience.

Have a good trip, we will try to leave the light on (sun).

BedEBuys for the bed? or south to Lecornu and Ikea, But have a good look around there are shops hidden everywhere.

Guest angiestaff

i will be working the the lyell mcewan hospital anyone know what it's like?, am getting a bit nervous now!! lol

also getting a bit concerned about pet friendly properties now!!, how available are they?, don't really wanna be crating them over and have nowhere to live! lol

we'll have a look at the places mentioned, how-ever hubby has got a little keen on semaphore!, 30 min doesn't sound too bad a drive to elizabeth, is traffic congestion as bad as it is here in britain?, i def' will be avoiding driving through the city..can't be doing that every day!!

we have booked our flights with singapore airlines and we do the 1st leg on the new air bus!, still 'cattle' class (economy!lol) but hopefully it'll be nice, anyone been on it yet?

we had to start doing 'the rounds' saying goodbye and having family meals etc.. because we've been talking about it for quite a while now and hadn't got a leaving date until last sun i think we'd been putting off thinking about the goodbyes and everything and now it's here!!:arghh:

anymore advice/tips please send 'em our way

ang x

Guest Sue Kick

Semaphore is a beautiful, quiet spot. Semaphore Road (equivalent of your High Street) has a stretch of shops including grocery stores, clothing, gift shops, pubs. The beachfront has a few establishments but in the main it is underdeveloped (a good thing!) so that it remains, predominantly, a beach with a view to walk along and enjoy the vastness. Semaphore is an old historic town that's gaining popularity. It's actually included in one of my shopping tours which the traders are grateful for as the area really does deserve more attention than it's currently getting. Cost of housing is reasonable considering it's on the coast. You can get to the Lyell McEwin without going through the city - take Grand Junction Road - it stretches from the beach through to the northern suburbs avoiding the city. Traffic is Adelaide is NEVER comparable to traffic in Britain. When you become a local, you will be complaining when you reach the traffic lights and there are 15 cars in front of you. That is a traffic jam :)

Guest angiestaff

thanks for your info', husband is very keen on semaphore now!! lol let;s hope we can get a rented house that accepts 2 dogs, also been looking at mawson lakes as there appears to be more rented properties there, can anyone tell us about there?

glad to hear that traffic isn't as bad as here, at the moment i have to drive through birmingham city centre at rush hour times, which i can tell you is not fun!!...ah well only 7 more days at work and then i leave!!:jiggy:...will be sad to leave some of the people(but not all of them! lol)

am i right in assuming that we have to get a dog license? where would we get that from? and i think i remember someone saying on here that you may get it cheaper if your dogs have done doggie training, how far back does that have to have been done?, my 2 are nearly 8 now and we did training when they were 1-2 yrs, is that too long ago?

anyone on here took staffie's over to adelaide with them? if so how did they handle the flights/quarantine etc...?we're getting more concerned about them than us! lol

2 weeks and 6 days till flights!!:arghh: lol

ang x

Guest kangomik

hey breathe..... stop panicking, your comming to relax!!!!!! theres a few nice staffies at Semaphore on the weekends, theres a gorgeous choclate one.

I think its called petrentals.com or summat like that they claim to have thousands of pet friendly rentals. I will keep an eye out in the paper this week.

Semaphore area is nice, i think port adelaide may keep the property prices down for Semaphore, which is a good thing.... the sunsets are stunning.

I would still use the new road out of port adelaide on to parafield gardens rather than grand junction and onto North etc.

30 mins is a doddle, and nothing like the UK. It will take a while to get used to, if you leave a gap they are usually in it. Take your time and keep a space and your fine.

We don't have a dog, but yes you pay, cheaper if micrchipped and de sexed. Don't know about the training, they may need Aussie Quals. They do train well though despite peoples ignorance.

Mawson lakes or Mozzie lakes ( don't worry its an affectionate term) is a nice area, midway from semaphore and Elizabeth. You can get "buzzed" by Parafield airport, the small prop planes seem to be more annoying than mile end in the city and the big passenger jets. It's a new "complex" has a huge Uni and lots and lots of houses.

My reccomendation is drive when you arrive, have a look around and see what feels right for you. Taking other peoples advice gets a little blurry, and trying to view too many suburbs at once makes them all blend into one, we are all guilty of doing it. I reckon your hubby's going to win though, but hey what would i know afterall we live nowhere near the beach !!!!!

To get your dog license you just go into your local council offices - licenses run from August to August whenever you get them. There is a discount if your dog is desexed, another if your dog is microchipped, and another if your dog is trained. I took ours to training for ages and although she progressed up through the stages, I never bothered with the "trained" discount as it was only about $5 difference. Think we pay something like $15 a year, and the dogs get to wear a little disk on their collar in that year's colour - very tasteful! Many councils run their own training classes if you wanted to take yours and get them "signed off" as far as training goes. Our local council (Tea Tree Gully) for instance charges something like $15 for a years training.

On Semaphore Beach you would need to keep them on leads during the main part of the day during the summer - I think they can be off-leash after about 8pm and probably before about 8am (possibly 7am) - they are very strict about this, and the wardens often get tip-offs about unleashed dogs and will come and give you a warning (if you're lucky) or a steep fine! In the winter months (outside of daylight saving time) these rules are relaxed.

Mawson Lakes is very conveniently located for access to the northern suburbs, and is a very cosmopolitan, well-designed suburb - I like it there, very "lifestyle"! But as Mik says, Semaphore is great too. Whichever you choose, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Diane

Guest angiestaff

thanks for your reply.....

i agree i think hubby may get his own way, esp' if we do find a pet friendly rental in semaphore!, not that fussed about living too close to the sea as anywhere in adleaide is far closer to the sea than where we are now in birmingham,england! lol

both dogs are microchipped and desexed so hopefully that'll make a difference in the cost of getting 2 dog permits, hubby asked about pet insurance....anyone have any good recommendations for getting my 2 insured?

as for breathing/relaxing!!!! HOW!! :arghh::shocked::( LOL, we seem to have times that not a lot needs doing and then other times you end up running around like a lunatic! lol i think that the only relaxing time will be when we're sitting on the plane!...even with all the stresses and worry etc...we still can't wait to come over and call adelaide our home

oh well better get back to doing some work! lol

ang x

Hi Diane.

There's no way that dog is trained !!!!! it's a tree hugger and sock fetcher. Did i forget to mention its bonkers too!

Rubbish - she understands every word we say!! Very intelligent dogs, border collies, it's the owners you have to watch out for!!! Compared to my kids, the dog is brilliantly trained....

"Giving a border collie a ball is like giving red cordial to a child..."

Guest michelle mcg

Hi guys. We're actually moving back to the UK on April 3rd and so we're getting rid of lots of furniture - tables/ chairs/ shelves / desk etc etc. We could do you a good deal if you want to take some of it off our hands. Let me know if there's anything you're interested in and I can email you some photos.

Life here is great. You guys will love it!!

Guest sauvignon

Hi

Good luck with the move. Most properties don`t allow animals,but some say negotiable. What we did was moved in and proved we were good tenants. We then wrote a long soppy letter to the agent,who then passed on to the owner. They then gave us premission to have a dog. Did not mention that we were getting a large labradoodle.(did not know at the time,what we were getting). Anyway all fine and they have no problems.As rentals can be difficult to get, don`t mention the dogs straight away,and just avoid rentals that you know are STRICTLY no dogs.

Guest angiestaff

hiya,

ur dog looks soooo sweet!! lol, my 2 are a handful, you'd never believe that they are both nearly 8!, i think that we need to mention the dogs before we sign anything as we don't wanna risk them saying no and then the dogs arrive middle of may! lol. we may try and offer a larger bond or pay 4-6 months rent up front maybe that'll work?

ang

Guest Humphreys
i will be working the the lyell mcewan hospital anyone know what it's like?, am getting a bit nervous now!! lol

also getting a bit concerned about pet friendly properties now!!, how available are they?, don't really wanna be crating them over and have nowhere to live! lol

we'll have a look at the places mentioned, how-ever hubby has got a little keen on semaphore!, 30 min doesn't sound too bad a drive to elizabeth, is traffic congestion as bad as it is here in britain?, i def' will be avoiding driving through the city..can't be doing that every day!!

we have booked our flights with singapore airlines and we do the 1st leg on the new air bus!, still 'cattle' class (economy!lol) but hopefully it'll be nice, anyone been on it yet?

we had to start doing 'the rounds' saying goodbye and having family meals etc.. because we've been talking about it for quite a while now and hadn't got a leaving date until last sun i think we'd been putting off thinking about the goodbyes and everything and now it's here!!:arghh:

anymore advice/tips please send 'em our way

ang x

I work at Elizabeth (just outside near the RAAF base) and I drive from Semaphore Park, its about 30 minutes drive, and its always really clear, there was an accident on Friday on the highway and it took 10 minutes to get through - when I was in England I travelled a lot and spent many times sitting on the M40 for hours on end, so 10 minutes is alright by me!! We brought two cats with us and it was a bit harder to find rental properties, but there was still choice, seemed to be older properties more than brand new ones. A colleague here also has a dog and got somewhere in Mawson Lakes which he is very happy with (there are some other posts about Mawson Lakes so you need to look at it and decide for yourself, but it would be near work) and yes in Semaphore the sunsets are amazing!!

Guest sauvignon

Hi

Probably correct about mentioning the dogs. Lots of people keep there dogs outside in SA due to the mild weather. You could say this is what you are planning and they would not be in the house.(cough cough!!)

Guest angiestaff

hiya,

sorry for delay in replying haven't been on the 'puter for a few days......

we used to live in sheldon, moved back to my parents house near halesowen for a few weeks until we fly on the 30th march!!:)

angie

we (andy and angie) arrive in adelaide on 09.00 1st april!!...it has been nearly 2 years in the planning from start to finish...the longest part being selling the bloomin house!! but we got there in the end.

i'm due to start work in a hospital in elizabeth on 20th april,anyone on here work there or know anyone who does, if so what's it like?

anyone able to advise us on the best areas to look for rental properties? considering travel to and from elizabeth, i'd prefer not to have to travel through the city to and from work so i'm aware that this will cut the number of houses available to us, also we have to dogs that are due to join us in may (after quarantine) are there many dog friendly properties available?

also we aren't bringing furniture (as we sold it with the house to first time buyers) so can anyone recommend any reasonably priced places to get furniture, even second hand stuff to start with (not the bed though!! lol)

also if anyone can thing of any more handy advice/tips etc...please let me know

ang x

Hi ange....

We currently live in Golden Grove which must be ten minutes from Elizabeth (our property is currently up for rental on realestate.com as my OH is having to transfer areas with work) but i must say I have really enjoyed living here it is so convenient....shops, schools, short drive to the hills, 30 mins to the city and 30 mins to the beach where i spend alot of time trying to wear the kids out!!! I can sit in my back garden when the kids are finally in bed looking at the hills as the sun sets!!

We arrived in Sep 08 and also didn't bring much with us so i spent the first couple of months on Gumtree.com.au and got myself some bargins... sofas, dining tables etc....We also went to Good guys to buy everything electrical and got a good deal!!! oh but we got a new bed from Le Cornu...cheap but new!!

We also said we wanted to live on the coast before we arrived but OH worked Golden grove/Elizabeth and he said it would be too much of a pain for him to do the travelling when working shifts....but i have enjoyed it here and when im in my garden it is so peaceful compared to where i lived in the uk!!

Good luck with the flights !!

Guest angiestaff

hi,

what area you moving to now, is it still in adelaide?,

we have 1 week and 1 day till we fly !!:D, oh my!! am panicking that we haven't done everything, wonder when i'll be able to relax! lol

thanks for all the tips on where to get furniture cheap-ish, would be nice if we could get some furniture in the rental place however our main issue is for the house to allow 2 dogs!, would be happy to sit on garden furniture as long as our furry friends can live with us, after all it will have cost us almost $4000 to get them over there!! lol

ang x