Hi everyone, another newbie here :)

Guest jaxcooper

Guest jaxcooper

Hi! I'm Jacqui and I'm married to Ed. We have 2 young children and I have my sights set on Adelaide.

I've never been but I'm strangely confident about the place. My husband has finally agreed to us coming over for a holiday with a view to looking at the place as our future home and I'm thrilled to bits.

So, as of yet it's all in the future but I've already listed a bunch of clutter for sale as I want to be ready when he says Yes ;)

I hope to chat to everyone lots on the way :)

We are also going, never having been to Australia - let alone Adelaide. Also hope to get out this year for a reccie. Would be nice to have visa in hand so that we can get it stamped, but not too sure that is going to happen with the way things are going with visas - we are on the SOL list only. Plan to be in Oz by mid-2010.

Good luck with everything...

E

x

Guest Dave & Carole

Hi Jacqui

As you can see you are in good company - lots of people planning on going there despite never having been. We (me, husband & 2 children 5 & 3) are hoping to be out some time this year - and we haven't been to Australia before either.

Good luck with your reccie visit - we've got some friends who have just come back and thoght it was fantasic, so hopefully you'll husband will be won over.

Carole

Guest Guest75

Welcome Jacqui & Ed.

Good luck with winning your hubbie over.

It kind of happened to me.

Mrs Tyke had lived in Melbourne for a few years and fell in love with Oz.

Then A friend of ours married an Ozzie.

I was not too keen on even visiting Aus as I was scared I'd like it and fall into a "rosy coloured glasses trap"

Well I'm here now and after 9 years think I love this country even more than Mrs Tyke:D

Let hubbie make his own mind up though - don't "railroad" him - I hugely respect Mrs Tyke for not pushing me.

Welcome Jacqui & Ed.

Good luck with winning your hubbie over.

It kind of happened to me.

Mrs Tyke had lived in Melbourne for a few years and fell in love with Oz.

Then A friend of ours married an Ozzie.

I was not too keen on even visiting Aus as I was scared I'd like it and fall into a "rosy coloured glasses trap"

Well I'm here now and after 9 years think I love this country even more than Mrs Tyke:D

Let hubbie make his own mind up though - don't "railroad" him - I hugely respect Mrs Tyke for not pushing me.

You love Australia even more than you love Mrs Tyke???:shocked: You're in soooo much trouble my friend!:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
You love Australia even more than you love Mrs Tyke???:shocked: You're in soooo much trouble my friend!:biglaugh:

Ya Pickfault!!!!

You know what I mean.

I know my place exactly in the pecking order here.

Guest Django

Hi Jacqui,

Welcome to PIA. We had never been before we moved here and have to say it was a gamble well worth taking. Then is no way we would ever consider moving back. I hope the trip over goes well for you.

Good luck

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jaxcooper

Thanks everyone - good to meet you all :)

I actually have some relatives in Adelaide, although they are 2nd and 3rd cousins and I look forward to catching up with them hopefully. I haven't seen them for a couple of years and my husband barely knows any of them but ti'll be nice to have someone to visit perhaps.

My great Aunt lives in Brighton and one of my cousins lives in an area/place called Oaklands Park? I'm not sure where the other two cousins live but they're in Adelaide too.

I definately won't push hubby as I know it'll make him run the opposite way BUT the other day I nearly fell off the sofa when he blurted out that if there was a way we could move out of this country now he would! Yay- a huge leap in the right direction:jiggy:

SO now all we have to do is budget for the reccie and we'll be there- next question is whether to bring the children for the 1st trip or at 2 and 3 years old would it be wiser to leave them to get spoiled here by grandparents?

Guest kangomik

Hi there.

Sorry just got to LOL at the husband part..... does he have a choice once your mind is made up?

We had never been to Aus, and knew no one who had. Telling everyone at our leaving doo that we did not know where we were going and did not know where we were staying, and knew not a soul brought some very weird looks.

A year in and 2 visits from relies, we know find we have loads of relations here..... distant but it's funny how you suddenly find a bond!

A great place to come, i am sure you will love, as most others do too.

Guest jaxcooper

:jiggy:Yay Ed said we can aim to come over for 10 days in October/November :)

We're going to leave the children here as it's a lot of money for them to fly and they'll not appreciate it yet so just gotta get the ball rolling .....WOOOO HOOOOO !!!!!!!!

Guest The Pottertons

Definitely leave the kids here- We were over last May and left the kids...... Was a really tough decision as ny little one was 10 months old.......but taking a baby all that way felt wrong too! Especially for only 2 weeks. It meant most days we drove for around 6+ hours.....looking at all the suburbs and checking prices of vehicles, tools (for the fella) and schools. We were exhausted when we got home but i cant tell you how worthwhile it was!!!! We met some of the PIA ers who were fabulous and soooo welcoming. We really miss the place which is so strange as we were there such a short time! Now cant wait to show the children! welcome to PIA and i dont think you'll even need to railroad your hubby.......Ozzy will speak for itself!!! Good Luck!

Guest The Pickles

We've never been to Australia either but my best friend lives in Sydney and says we'll love it. I've never met anyone who hasn't loved the country so I think we'll all be okay! x

Guest mayjess

Hi & welcome, not long just joined myself!

Personally if your going to do a reccie, Id try & leave the kids, only because you can get a lot more done,like in the way of sight seeing and getting familiar with areas you may choose to live, Adelaide is pretty spread out and you will be doing your fair bit of driving.

Good Luck

Mayjess

Guest Hansonhouse

We had never been to Australia but like you, knew based on everyone else's feedback that it would be good. We arrived 6 months ago and absolutely love it, it far exceeded our expectations and continues to do so.

At 2 and 3, yes I would definately leave them at home with their doting grandparents

Guest Niki & Nige

Hi to All coming over if coming over, Hope you find what your looking for, But it is Not All what it seems, jobs are hard to come by, pay not great, you have to relicence for everything.

Takes time to settle here, very slow way of life, and restaurants close by 9pm

Guest mayjess
Hi to All coming over if coming over, Hope you find what your looking for, But it is Not All what it seems, jobs are hard to come by, pay not great, you have to relicence for everything.

It is hard, was a big culture shock when I 1st went over,lol but you get used to it,, work wise- best to do your research 1st.

Mayjess

Guest jaxcooper

Hi everyone, thank you for all of your comments and friendly chat - it's a nice forum and it's good to have balanced comments as no-where is perfect ( just nearly perfect judging by most comments ;) )

I used to live in Tenerife- now that's shockingly slow and as for paperwork, well you practically had to have a number to be allowed to sneeze lol

We sometimes had such little money that we'd eat tinned tomatoes for 3 days in a row but somehow it was all so much easier to bear when it wasn't grey day in day out.

Here, I am lucky to have a husband that is able to earn enough money to support me whilst our children are so young and I don't really go without anything but this country stinks. I fear that my children will grow up in a repressed environment- too afraid to go out and spending their days in front of games consoles. I want them to have a sense of freedom that I had of being to wake up and go for a swim, walk, skate- to havea good education but mostly to have a quality of life that I don't think they'll get here.

I want my husband to feel that all the hard work and commuting he does is not just to pay for a big tv, a mortgage and tax but that he will get more of the life that he deserves.

That is the dream that I'm after for my family and fingers crossed, Oz holds the key - we've just got to work bloody hard to get it :)

:chatterbox: