Coming over next week - 3 Questions.

Guest Bristol_Matt

Guest Bristol_Matt

Hi all.

Carol (the missus) and I are on a reccie from April 5th to the 17th . We have got an itinerary of places to visit, people to visit and things to do and cannot wait!

Everything seems to be in hand, but we have 3 'simple' questions for you all...

1) What kind of weather can we expect in the next couple of weeks? We always travel light as I hate packing clothes that aren't needed!

2) Has anybody used Cathay Pacific and had to change planes in Hong Kong? We are there for 6 hours (doing a plane change) and wondered if we would be able to use a cashpoint there, or if it is worth bringing a few Yen? with us?

3) Can anybody reccomend a good Car Hire company? If they aren't based at the airport how do I organise a booking?

Thanking you in advance.

M&C

Hi all.

Carol (the missus) and I are on a reccie from April 5th to the 17th . We have got an itinerary of places to visit, people to visit and things to do and cannot wait!

Everything seems to be in hand, but we have 3 'simple' questions for you all...

1) What kind of weather can we expect in the next couple of weeks? We always travel light as I hate packing clothes that aren't needed!

2) Has anybody used Cathay Pacific and had to change planes in Hong Kong? We are there for 6 hours (doing a plane change) and wondered if we would be able to use a cashpoint there, or if it is worth bringing a few Yen? with us?

3) Can anybody reccomend a good Car Hire company? If they aren't based at the airport how do I organise a booking?

Thanking you in advance.

M&C

Weather at moment is mid 20's to odd day in 30's over the next week, nights down to 13-16 deg.

Sorry dont know about Cathay or Hong Kong but would assume you would be able to either cash machine or alternative currency (Singapore did)

As for car hire we used Thrifty based at airport and booked on line. No complaints from us

Have a great time

Guest jorose
Hi all.

Thanking you in advance.

M&C

2) Cathay Pacific yes - there is a currency exchange desk in Hong Kong, not sure what times they are open, perhpas check on website. Not sure about a cash machine. Quite expensive at HK airport, or we found it to be anyway.

3)We used Thrifty who are based at the airport and also on Hindley St, in case you decide to get settled at hotel first (presuming you are staying in city).

HTH :cute:

From experience, Hong Kong airport is quite large, but has very few retail outlets compared to Singapore. You will probably wander and sit for quite a lot of those 6 hours, look at the shops that are there, and possibly want something to eat & drink.

We have always found that when in an international airport, that most places will accept English or Australian money and convert it into Hong Kong Dollars, but not at the best exchange rate.

There are also shops to convert your money (bureau de change) or you can use a credit card for major purchases. It is probably best to purchase in local currency, and let the credit company do the exchange rate, as this is usually better than the local exchange rate.

Be aware that anything purchased on most Credit Cards will be subject to a, 2.75% currency conversion charge, unless you have one with Nationwide, who have been free but are now about to charge 1%

Guest Bristol_Matt

I was planning on using my Nationwide account.

I thought charges were going to be introduced in June, is this correct?

I wasn't too sure what we might expect in Hong Kong. I was basing my question on my previous experience of changing planes in Boston, America. We were kept in a room that was selling food and drink but without acess to a cashpoint or Exchange. We were only there an hour or so, but couldn't buy anything as we had no US$ (we were heading to Jamaica).

Guest Guest75
Best car hire place in Adelaide is Aussie Car Rentals - run by a great guy called Brian - their website is www.aussiecargroup.com.au or give him a ring. He'll come and meet you at the airport and look after you.

Diane

Seconded.

Brian has looked after loads f people we know:D

Best car hire place in Adelaide is Aussie Car Rentals - run by a great guy called Brian - their website is www.aussiecargroup.com.au or give him a ring. He'll come and meet you at the airport and look after you.

Diane

Great guy and service.....he really looks after his customers.....when you arrive after a long journey, it's so nice to have that personal touch..

Guest Trakki

Diane

Thirded (if thats a word!!!) We used Aussie Car rentals and Brian and his wife could not have been more helpful and they had to put up with us and 4 tired children.

You will probably be able to use the cash machine at the airport, we did in Singapore.

Can't help with the other questions