medicare + where to live?

Guest SteveR

Guest SteveR

Hello All

We've got our 175 visas and my wife shelley is due to start work as a midwife at The Burnside Memorial hospital on 1st Sept. We haven't managed to sell house so are going to rent hopefully and be out by 1st week in August.

Can anyone tell me if we're entitled to medicare under our visa, have heard conflicting reports??:wacko:

Where To live? Burnside is east of CBD but really wanted to be within 3 miles of beach.

Also we have 2 girls aged 13 and 11 who need a good public school.

Would be most grateful of any areas/schools to avoid. Does anyone commute from the south to the east?

Hope to see you all soon

Steve and Shelley Richardson :jiggy:

Burnside hospital is on the Eastern side of town. There are good high schools in this area, Norwood Morialta , Marryatville and Glenunga International. There is also Adelaide High school in town. You could look at the suburbs surrounding Unley High school which is to the south but 15 mins from the hospital and about 20 mins to the beach.

Guest Nicky&Andy

burnside is quite a nice area, great outdoor pool, with barbi's plus two smaller pools, parrots in the trees, just up the rd is clelands, where you feed the roos, hold koalas and lots of other aussi wild life, the beach isnt that far by car, not walking distance though, or get a train to adelaide then another to the coast, i love the coast but i quite liked burnside and wouldnt rule it out.(i found driving so easy in oz, so i realised more areas would be worth looking at.sorry cant help with the important stuff like schools as didnt get that far on our recci

good luck with your plans

I agree with Rachiegarlo about the good state schools - just worth bearing in mind though that you will need to show at least a twelve month rental agreement for a place within catchment area for most of the good High Schools - your 11 year old will still be in primary for another year I think. The East side of town is great - you could also look around to the South East suburbs - Belair, Blackwood, Hawthorndene, Glenalta - about 15 minutes from there to the beach. If you need short term furnished rental when you first arrive, we know of some good places not too far from Burnside - that might be a good way to start - rent near work then test out different drives in different directions at different times of day and see how you feel about distance and times. The Northeastern suburbs - anything from Norwood, to Athelstone, Paradise, Dernancourt, Highbury, and around Morialta are also not a bad drive to Burnside (15 mins) but a little further to the beaches. Beautiful areas though.

Guest calwezoe

Hi, I am starting my training to be a midwife in sept in england and have enquired with burnside hosp about working there nearer the tim.

Can i ask how long the whole process took to getting employed and the wages you can expect.

Thanks

Guest SteveR

Hi there,

I've been qualified for nearly 5 years but I think they're happy to employ 2 years post grad. It really depends on which visa you go for. I went for a 175 permanant residency which has taken about a year to organise from start to finish. There are other visas but if you want to migrate to Australia permanently it's probably your safest bet. With regards to money I'm not sure about public sector but private seems to pay a bit better than uk rates. Good luck with your training, it's hard work but well worth the rewards. Let me know if I can help with any other stuff...

Shelley

Guest calwezoe

Hi thanks for replying, i originally looked at training in aus but the fees are really expensive and wouldnt get anything like a bursary like in the uk.

You must be so excited, i am and its over 3 yrs away lol.

Good luck x