Advice for planning the move

Guest Obedoh

Guest Obedoh

Hi,

We've finally got the visas and have gone into the expected blind panic about what we need to do! To that end, it would be great if we can get some general advice from those that have made the move already. I'm sure this will be the first of many posts in the near future!

Visas - We got the email telling us when we need to arrive, but we can't work out if it means everyone or just the principle visa holder.

Electricals - What's the general advice on what to bring and what not to?

Checklist - Has anyone got a checklist that they have used to help with making sure everything is done that we we need to before we move?

Thanks in advance

Duncan

Guest stufi1997

Hi Duncan,

Congratulations on your visa, I don't have a checklist but I do know that everyone on the application has to come over to activate the visa, so it's worth just getting ready to go, it would cost too much with 6 of you to have a holiday i imagine.

We brought Aaron's Wii and PSP but other than that left everything electrical, I guess it depends if you're shipping your stuff or travelling light. We chose to leave everything and start again (our furniture was mostly from argos anyway) and have found that we hardly miss anything, it's amazing how much crap you accumulate that you don't really need!! After a year the only thing that I miss and I wish we'd shipped is my pictures and photos in frames, but we'll probably send for them yet oh and my pans I wish I'd brought my pans, they're so expensive here for good ones.

Good luck with it all......there really isn't that much to organise haha Fiona xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,well we brought tons of stuff 8 months ago,and most of it is still in the boxes in the garage!Strangely enough,most items like kettles, Beds,Tellys,Furniture etc,are about the same price as at home,but bedding,pots n pans,quality cutlery ,cosmetics and everyday decent quality items are noticeably more expensive,so i would stock up on these things.And dont forget,dont end up with a garage full of stuff you dont really need.Best Wishes,Billy.

Guest Mrs PHH

Your UK TV will work if you buy a HD box when you get here, it's the Australian equivalent of a UK freeview box. It's a cheaper option than buying a new TV.

Also one of my regrets is not bringing my cooker from the UK, most houses come with cookers but if you like cooking and want a double oven they are very expensive, the cheapest I can find here is a Belling for $4000, I could get the same model for 800 sterling.

Guest The Pickles

I presume our UK TV will also work if we get Foxtel?

Thanks, Marilyn

Your UK TV will work if you buy a HD box when you get here, it's the Australian equivalent of a UK freeview box. It's a cheaper option than buying a new TV.

Also one of my regrets is not bringing my cooker from the UK, most houses come with cookers but if you like cooking and want a double oven they are very expensive, the cheapest I can find here is a Belling for $4000, I could get the same model for 800 sterling.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Obedoh
Check out the web site Expat Exchange---they have a new section on making the move and steps, etc.

Thanks. I'll give it a go!

Duncan

Guest Obedoh
Hiya,well we brought tons of stuff 8 months ago,and most of it is still in the boxes in the garage!Strangely enough,most items like kettles, Beds,Tellys,Furniture etc,are about the same price as at home,but bedding,pots n pans,quality cutlery ,cosmetics and everyday decent quality items are noticeably more expensive,so i would stock up on these things.And dont forget,dont end up with a garage full of stuff you dont really need.Best Wishes,Billy.

Thanks for the great advice! We need to have a look at these things and stock up definitely.

Duncan

Guest Obedoh
Hi Duncan,

Congratulations on your visa, I don't have a checklist but I do know that everyone on the application has to come over to activate the visa, so it's worth just getting ready to go, it would cost too much with 6 of you to have a holiday i imagine.

We brought Aaron's Wii and PSP but other than that left everything electrical, I guess it depends if you're shipping your stuff or travelling light. We chose to leave everything and start again (our furniture was mostly from argos anyway) and have found that we hardly miss anything, it's amazing how much crap you accumulate that you don't really need!! After a year the only thing that I miss and I wish we'd shipped is my pictures and photos in frames, but we'll probably send for them yet oh and my pans I wish I'd brought my pans, they're so expensive here for good ones.

Good luck with it all......there really isn't that much to organise haha Fiona xx

Thanks. I've heard te bit about pots and pans so I definitely think we need to invest before we leave!

Thanks for the advice

Duncan