Hello, may I introduce myself

ThunderRoad

Hi,

Have been a interested reader of these forums for a while now (months), however, due to recent events things have got a little more serious so I thought i'd register and ' get involved'.

My wife has recently had a telephone interview and has been offered a job in Adelaide as a Mental Health Nurse. Therefore, I thought i'd say Hello.

Don't really know where to start.............house, what suburb, leaving family, right move for the children ???????:arghh:

Anyway, Hello !!!:v_SPIN:

Guest majortom

Hi ThunderRoad and welcome to this great site. Got some wonderful people on here that will put you right.

I suppose your coming out on an employer sponsorship ???........we did the same in late 2006, and never regretted it since. The visa (RSMS) took about 6 months from start to finish.

The right Suburbs is always a great debate amongst us poms,usually tin helmet time !!!:biglaugh:

We chose the North East, rented for a year, liked the area then bought property. You'll find a great deal of us Uk people will live "down South", and I hear its quite nice in most parts.

We had a problem with my then 17 year old boy settling down (he never wanted to come in the first place). But he joined the Australian Air force last year and is having a ball in Melbourne. My 7 year old daughter is now a true aussie, she goes around the house reciting Australia Fair in a twangy aussie accent. It was the best move we have made with regards our children.

Just want to wish you all the best in your quest.....

Jim

Guest mayjess

Hi, just like to say, I know how overwhelming it must feel at the moment, best thing to do is keep a list of questions that pop into your head through the day and ask away on these forums, there is always someone to advise & help, no matter how silly your questions feel at the time-just ask!

I dont think you will know which suburb you`l settle in until you go to Adelaide & see for yourself although nearer work helps!

Good Luck

Mayjess

Guest Django

Welcome to PIA

Where to start?????

I'd start the ball rolling in the direction of either a 176 or a 175 visa. PR is very important especially if you have children. Does your wife qualify? Have a look at the immi site. http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/ All your options are on there. As a nurse you shouldn't need an agent as the process is very straight forward.

As for where to live???

Where is the job located? This will be your pin in the map and then draw a circle around it the size according to how long a commute your wife is happy doing.

Pete

Guest kangomik

Hello and welcome. You have to make your own choice where to settle, there are poms everywhere mate. Where you first base is where you tend to settle. UNless you know you really have to be near a beach.

We live in the North East and like it, it suits us, each to their own.

A friendly place, relaxed and deffinately good fun for kids.

Guest Kevin Quinn

Welcome.You'll find this the best site for grwt advice & friendly folks.Good luck & when you settle in the suburb that's right for you let us know where & why & it'll help those coming behind you :-)

Thank you all for your best wishes.

We will be going to Adelaide on employer sponsorship ( 475 Visa ). We have been given a timeframe of approx 12 months from interview to start date. Does this sound reasonable ?

It works in our favour for the visa to take this long for many reasons

* I graduate in March / april next year ( Mental Health Nursing )

* The house needs to be made ready ( ready to rent )

* Organise finances

* Povide time to research ( even a cheeky recce if possible )

Our thoughts are firmly on PR after 2 years because of the children. However while we are on temp visa and renting we would like to somewhere a little isolated and with a ' country feel '. OH's job is in Glenside. Can anyone suggest areas/towns/suburbs that would be candidates ?

We have heard someone mention Mount barker ?

Interested in your post, as I to was looking at the mental health posts in Glenside. I made some enquiries but feel a permanent visa would be the best option for me and my family. Would love to know more about mental health nursing in South Australia, so will read all your posts avidly. Have got a bit of cold feet of late due to the "global credit crunch" !

Wish you all the best!

We will be going to Adelaide on employer sponsorship ( 475 Visa ). We have been given a timeframe of approx 12 months from interview to start date. Does this sound reasonable ?

It works in our favour for the visa to take this long for many reasons

* I graduate in March / april next year ( Mental Health Nursing )

* The house needs to be made ready ( ready to rent )

* Organise finances

* Povide time to research ( even a cheeky recce if possible )

Our thoughts are firmly on PR after 2 years because of the children. However while we are on temp visa and renting we would like to somewhere a little isolated and with a ' country feel '. OH's job is in Glenside. Can anyone suggest areas/towns/suburbs that would be candidates ?

Check out Realestate.com.au they have lots of rentals all over the place what I did was then use google.com.au maps its a good place to start.

Julie

Guest Mrs PHH

If you are thinking about locating yourselves in Mount Barker, there should be some useful information on this website.

http://www.dcmtbarker.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm

(It's not usually as green as the pictures on this website suggest)

We currently live in Strathalbyn which is a small country town about 20 mins from Mount Barker and 50 mins from Adelaide CBD and we use some of the amenities at Mount Barker.

Mount Barker has outdoor and indoor swimming pools, a cinema complex, hospital and a variety of shops large and small, there is a high street and a shopping mall with Coles, Kmart and Woolies. The DIY stores and big pet shops, garden centres etc are on the out skirts of the town in industrial units. They are building a Bunnings - which is like B&Q just out of the town. There is a direct bus link to Adelaide and it has access to the freeway that goes straight into Adelaide, it has everything you'd expect from a town. There are new housing estates and older established houses. It's not like an English country village, it's definately a town - I don't know Birmingham well so can't compare it to anything. The population is about 29,000.

There are other small hills towns such as Nairne, Meadows, Littlehampton, Lobethal, Bridgewater, Macclesfield that may be worth exploring if you want somewhere smaller.

Also keep in mind that the population of the whole of South Australia is about 1.6 million, and the population of the UK is over 61 million. So you don't have to go too far from adelaide for it to feel isolated.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application.

:):)

Guest angiestaff

helloooo,

where is your wife going to work? i am now in my 2nd week working as a mental health nurse at the lyell mcewin hospital. we made the move 5 weeks ago from sheldon,birmingham, which part of brum are you from?

if you have any questions just ask us or anyone on here

angie and andy

Guest kangomik

MT barker, Nairne, Hahndorf, Macclesfield, Lobethal, Onkaparinga hills are, all a country feel. Mt Barker being the ,most populated.

Research research research time for you.

angiestaff, i've pm'd you.

thanks for the heads up regarding suburbs.

:err: OH has just received confirmation that Visa will take under 6 months ( Spot on Majortom ). Due to the reasons in my earlier post we feel that may be too soon for us to realistically go for it. My Nurse training would not finish until March 2010, house, finances etc.

I know it may sound silly to some but would we be able to delay this process at all ? How flexible are these things ????? We had no idea things would move so quickly.

Have any of you had experience of you or your OH ( The wife going to Adelaide- alone ) and the husband following with children etc once everything sorted out? What a prospect !!!!:unsure:

Guest catielou

Hi ThunderRoad, I'm very interested to know what the interview is like that your wife had. I'm a MH nurse and with a recruitment agent that are in the process of forwarding my CV to prospective employers, probably Glenside hospital!

We're in the same position as you guys, never been to Adelaide or Australia but it looks great. I've been told that we can be there by Oct/Nov 09, trouble is we've still got to sell the house!

Guest dawnie
helloooo,

where is your wife going to work? i am now in my 2nd week working as a mental health nurse at the lyell mcewin hospital. we made the move 5 weeks ago from sheldon,birmingham, which part of brum are you from?

if you have any questions just ask us or anyone on here

angie and andy

Hi my names Dawn im a mental health nurse working in dementia hopefully relocating with bupa who i work for in uk, how was the registration proccess with south au nursing board?

would love to hear your expieriances in oz

thanks

Dawn x:)

Hi, congratulations. In my opinion, if I were to start at the begining again. I would apply for Permanent Residence in the UK, which takes just the same time to get as a 457 Visa. Your wife can then come here to work at any Hospital she wants to as they are all so short. She is not tied into any contract or immigration rules. Also you do not have to pay more money than you have to, as it costs more money to get a permanent visa. My husband and I came here six years ago on a 457 visa, I was sponsored with NASANSB a nursing agency,not a good idea. So much politics involved.

However I am now with the agency on a casual basis which is fantastic,you can work when it suits and the rates of pay are good. I also work for Drug and Alcohol on a casual basis. I am a RN and RMN. My husband is a RN. Plenty of work if you want it. Life here is fantastic,such quality. i hope this helps you.

As for the area it depends what you are looking for we live in the South,we love the cafe lifestyle and the beaches. Also plenty of land to build on at Aldinga if you so wish. All the best.

Thunder, mate.....................

dont discount the foothills suburbs;

consider Highbury, Golden Grove, Rostrevor, Dernancourt.

All nice, all within 30 mins drive of QEH,; i am 15-20 mins from North Adelaide................and i am in Wattle park, a straight drive in really.

Well done on the job offer, tho' its a nice hospital, i hear!

Guest Jo&Phil

Glenside is the major mental health facility in Adelaide .... and it sits on a prime slice of land in a good (expensive ish) suburb so there are site redevelopment plans, but these are long term. See www.health.sa.gov.au

Glenside is on the south east side of town - nearby suburbs = Fullerton, Mitcham, Glenunga, Beaumont- it's easy access from the Adelaide Hills (via freeway - approx 30 mins max) which have already been suggested to you - ie: Mount Barker, Nairne, Littlehampton etc.

If you're renting initially any changes to the Glenside site will be easier to cope with if your particular area moves location.

Renting in the northern suburbs or western suburbs would involve a longer and more traffic ridden car journey.