Hiya all. New to the forum. Can't wait to be there!

Guest northernstar200

Guest northernstar200

Hi everyone, just wanted to write this post to introduce myself and my family.

I am Tracy (nurse), my husband Andy (delivery driver), and my two girls Beth and Jaz.

I am just wanting to write about my concerns about leaving my Mum and Dad.

They have made me totally aware of how horrendous it will be with regards to me thinking its going to be an ideal place to live. My mum thinks i have my head in the clouds and thinks its going to be happy ever after right from the beginning.

I know this isn't the case, and know there will be hard times ahead.

When i tell her about all the people who meet up for coffee and the get togethers that happen for everyone to get to know others who are in the same boat. I think she thinks this does not happen.

I really want to make it work, and want to tell her about all the positives about moving to oz. PLease help me convince her!!;);)

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hi Tracy, Welcome to PIA, Its a good site to ask questions . We are looking to move end of june after 2 1/2 years of planning . we have just come back from a reccie , and loved it . There are loads of jobs in your line of work , are you coming out on a sponsor visa? our friends have and they could not do enough for them, with housing ect , anyway ATB Paul

Guest northernstar200

Thanks for the quick relpy. Have applied for a permanent visa 175, so am not sponsered. With all the changes to the visa criteria, i don't know how long this is all going to take, but was hoping to be there this year.

I really do want to do something exciting and i definetly thing this is the thing to do! But when u r waiting doesn't it seem to take ages.

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Tracy,

We have a 175, check the signature below for our timeline.

The reason your mum is saying those things, is because she does not want you to go, I have had the same thing, my mum says things like 'Won't you miss your daughter?' (shes 23 this year and I see her once a month maybe). not sure what my mum expects me to say to statements like that! Of course I'll miss her, but she has her own life! nothing stopping her turning around and saying, cya dad i'm off to america etc... I think parents do it to wind your up!! lol

good luck

Barry

Hi Tracy. We are new to PIA too, although I have been using it for info for a while now!

I am currently having exactly the same problems with my mum, I can completely understand where she's coming from but would just love her support. I have even been told that when we get on the plane it'll be the last time I'll see my mum & dad alive etc. We've always been close and this is just tearing me apart. I just think it is giving my children the best possible opportunities.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever change her mind I think the best I can hope for is for her to eventually just accept it - I just hope that happens before we actually go!!

Don't think I've actually given you any advice lol! but it might help to know you're not alone in your dilema!!

Guest redfoxy
Hi Tracy. We are new to PIA too, although I have been using it for info for a while now!

I am currently having exactly the same problems with my mum, I can completely understand where she's coming from but would just love her support. I have even been told that when we get on the plane it'll be the last time I'll see my mum & dad alive etc. We've always been close and this is just tearing me apart. I just think it is giving my children the best possible opportunities.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever change her mind I think the best I can hope for is for her to eventually just accept it - I just hope that happens before we actually go!!

Don't think I've actually given you any advice lol! but it might help to know you're not alone in your dilema!!

Hi I think its called emotional blackmail !! Not I am sure never nastily meant to be !

My parents especially mother were exactly the same !! It does ease off and maybe sopmetime you have to tell them a few facts of life !!

Good Luck xx

Hi everyone, just wanted to write this post to introduce myself and my family.

I am Tracy (nurse), my husband Andy (delivery driver), and my two girls Beth and Jaz.

I am just wanting to write about my concerns about leaving my Mum and Dad.

They have made me totally aware of how horrendous it will be with regards to me thinking its going to be an ideal place to live. My mum thinks i have my head in the clouds and thinks its going to be happy ever after right from the beginning.

I know this isn't the case, and know there will be hard times ahead.

When i tell her about all the people who meet up for coffee and the get togethers that happen for everyone to get to know others who are in the same boat. I think she thinks this does not happen.

I really want to make it work, and want to tell her about all the positives about moving to oz. PLease help me convince her!!;);)

Hi there guys,

We have just done our first year here in Adelaide and we are loving it out here.

Sure there are bad times and trust me ask some of the guys on here we have had more than our fair share of bad times.

We have made some truly wonderful friends, whom we have shared our bad times with, but we have also shared and enjoyed the good times and there are lots.

When we landed here in Oz, we thought right this is it, were going to think australian and be Australian aint no use in moaning as things aint going to change, we are the ones who have to adapt and change things.

The guys on here are a lovely bunch, some outspoken, some quiet, some funny, some have an astounding wealth og knowledge.

but in general everyone is here to help each through the tought times.

You will be fine if you make the effort, we were amazed at just how friendly the Aussies are out here ( as long as you make the effort that is ).

You will be fine i am sure, you will have wobbles and thoughts of bloody hell were really doing it then, these are all normal.

I describe the way we fit in as if we were waiting on a slip road waiting to join the cars speeding along, then we saw a gap, we jumped into the gap and let it take us on our merry way....

and the rest is history as they say, sure we miss friends anf family.....but our lives are so much better out here.

Hope this helps in some way....

HG

Guest Django

You can tell her that it does happen. ;) There is a great support network through this site. We would not have settled so easily and so quickly without it. People here have all been there, done that. They have all had help and in return are more than happy to help other others. This is the way it works.

You will find that people that don't want you to go will fall into two groups. The first will support you all the way. Even though they know they will miss you they understand the reasons for your move. The second group will try every method to put you off. Emotional blackmail is the biggest weapon in their armoury but will say anything to make you 'come round to your senses'.

You have to do what you have to do for your family. No one will say its going to easy because its not. However the internet is a great form of communication as is the telephone.

Good luck

Pete

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

Welcome to PIA. Families do this all the time and we have a few members on here, including me, who have been through the exact same thing. In fact, most of the experiences you will have throughout the visa process, will have been experienced many times before by the folks on here. That's why the site is so great, we all help each other out and the same kinds of stuff crops up all the time.

The only advice I would give you, because it took a while for me to reconcile with it in my own head is, you do not have to convice your mum or anyone else for that matter. As long as you and the people coming with you are all convinced that it is the right thing for you to do, then don't look for approval from others, because you may well end up very disappointed and feeling somewhat guilty.

Mandy

Guest sandar1

You think you've got problems when I left here it was to take my 3 and 4 year old adored grandchild of my parents and parents in law to India. I was so stubborn when they said I had lost my mind that made me even more determined I was going. Best damn thing we ever did, travel is amazing for both you and your kids and broadens everyones life. Phone cards these days are so amazing you can call for as little as 2 cents per minute, I call everyone all over the world at the most bizar of times here, so its just like being there. My kids are so close to their grandparents because when they came to visit or when we visited back here in Oz it was quality time. It is your life and you go girl and have a real good one, they will come for a visit and love it. My one son has moved now back to America (where we lived for 18 years after India) of course I miss him and my grandchildren but I keep in touch talking at least once a week, I'm off for a visit in August can hardly wait.

All the best, and I hope we get to meet you.

Sandra

Guest northernstar200

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. Its just so nice to here all the optimism on here, i really am so excited about it all. I really did think that there was only me with a mum, who has tried every tactic to make me change my mind about moving, but i feel i am not alone.

I really do hope i get to meet up with others who have made the big step, one day,. hopefully it won't be too much longer now.

Tracy xxx

Guest Woody and Jane

Hi Tracy, we are new to PIA too, I am a nurse applying on the 175 as well, going with my Hubby and 2 Doggies ... yep its a hard decision but you have to go for these things lots of pro's only a few cons .. if you don't try you will always think what if..... UK will still be here if you want to come home.

Think 175 taking 10 years at the moment ... no ha ha ha .. hope not xx

Guest Stella and Dave

Hi Barry and Daff,

We have just got our 175 visa, and plan to go this summer, I also have a 23 year old daughter and fully understand where you're coming from, excitement and guilt feature in equal measures, I just wish she would come with us, but can't convince her yet. We will still go and try to tempt, I will miss her massively, but at 45 I'm not willing to forego my dreams quite yet.

Stella (nurse) and Dave (transport manager)

Guest rowy

Well it sounds like we all have the same mother!! LOL. Mine says they cant believe we are taking their grandchild away, and that we will never see them and that they will never visit!! Its so hard because you just wish you could bundle your whole family up and bring them too. There is no easy answer and I am just crossing my fingers I wont regret it, but we will give it our best shot for our little girl. Good luck, Penny