Statistics - time it's taking to find a job in Australia

Taken from the Career One job supplement in The Advertiser (Adelaide), but the figures will be for Australia wide.

Jobseekers should leave at least 3 months for their job search and be prepared for it to take even longer to get into work or find a better position.

That is the median length of time it is taking unemployed jobseekers to be hired as well as a rough guide for those already employed and applying for work elsewhere.

Time spent looking for work...

1 to 4 weeks - 16%

4 to 13 weeks - 38%

13 to 26 weeks - 18%

26 - 52 weeks - 20%

Whole year - 8%

The time it takes people to get jobs of course varies depending on many factors. This is a guide for people coming over as to how long it may take to secure work. People start panicking when they have been here just for a couple of weeks and don't have a job, but the process of securing work can take time.

In our own circumstances our first jobs back when we arrived in 2007 (and jobs were definitely more plentiful than now in my opinion), my OH gained a temp position with 1 week of arriving and a perm position within 3 weeks of us arriving. I gained a perm position 10 weeks of arriving.

We were both lucky securing perm jobs for our first jobs. I feel if we were arriving now it would be more likely that we would secure temporary contract roles to start with.

Edited by Jessica Berry

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest75

Is this all a service you are charging for Jessica??? Ithought self promotion and advertising were not allowed in this forum?????

If charging - perhaps you might want to make it more clear???:wideeyed:

Guest Kennymclachlan
I gave the thread a bump in case people had missed it, as there has been a few posts recently about finding work and people being frustrated at the time it was taking.

I agree Jessica, it can be a bit of a shock to discover just how long it can take to secure work. Particularly since many of the big recruiters within the Adelaide area will not even consider you until you have your feet on the ground in South Australia - those wanting to try and find potential employers and grease the wheels prior to arrival (which is just about everyone coming out here) end up starting from scratch the day after the plane lands and the jetlag wears off.

The lack of information I had access to whilst waiting to get here was frustrating and any of us that are able to ease that a little should do so.

Is this all a service you are charging for Jessica??? Ithought self promotion and advertising were not allowed in this forum?????

If charging - perhaps you might want to make it more clear???:wideeyed:

:rolleyes: Really, you think that's advertising :sad: Its an article that Rob was going to post as was in the news a few weeks back, would you have accused him of advertising? The same thread as been running on pio for a few weeks and guess what... No complaints or reports at all.

Anyway any more accusations will be deleted.

Thank you Jessica for posting the information it is very useful and helps in a number of ways mainly it shows people struggling that its not them but the job market full stop

Guest BurgessFamily

Worried about the Slashing Sword of Cost Saving from the liberals. They are going to make huge savings, they have to find the money to fill all the holes.