Carpentry work in Adelaide

Guest Lou1978

Guest Lou1978

Hi, we are coming to adelaide on the skilled state nomination visa, my husband is a carpenter and we would appreciate any information regarding this career. Is there many jobs available and is it in much demand as they say it is? Is property and new builds picking up like wa? Any information would be great thanks xx

Guest Loveoz

Hi Lou,

How exciting for you and nerve wrecking at the same time. We have been here 18 months and came over on my hubby's carpentry trade also. I can only speak for our own personal experience and advise you... My hubby started applying for work in the first week we arrived via Seek and also looking up local carpentry firms. He secured a casual position by week 3 after a lot of hard work contacting various companies.

There is a heap of building happening down south with new housing going up. I can't say whether he will have trouble finding work but can say it is worth it. The lifestyle out here is absolutely amazing. We came out with 3 children and we don't regret one thing. There are things that are harder and more expensive (schooling to name one) but everything else is truly amazing here.

When are you making the move? Any children? Which area are you moving to?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest75
He will only need a license if he is a sub contractor working for himself . If he is working for someone he will only need to get himself a white card.

Cheers Ian, I was not sure of the intricacies of the licensing.

I just reminded me of some guests a few years ago. Until I told the bloke he did not realise he had to have a license.

He was a self employed cabinet maker and wanted to continue here.

He was in shock and would not go for his license ( "going back to school and "paying for it" were mentioned) .

After a two week stay they went back to the UK, kid you not.