Fishing

minty

Any fishermen/women out there.

Im a keep carp angler over here in the Uk and know they are classed as vermin over in Aus. Looking at moving over to sea/Beech fishing when we finally get there so will sell my tackle in the UK and buy new in Aus.

What are the licencing restrictions in Aus and what is the cost of the licence. Can you just set up on any beech or are there set areas you can fish. Also are there any second hand tackle shops or is it all new and what would be the cost for a half decent setup.

Many thanks for any info in advance.

Guest Zako999

Hey mate,

Once your over here give me a shout about the carp and ill get you on the right track. Im a keen carp angler to, i was match organizer for a big club in the UK. Like i said once your here send me a pm and i will arrange a carping session.

Frank

A good friend of mine has a forum for carp etc, any questions about this kind of stuff just ask on there. They are all poms and are more then happy to help. And they all will tell you about your gear BRING EVERYTHING! http://anglers.proboards.com/

hope this helps,

Frank

Thanks for your help Frank, Had a look on the website. Now the gear will be coming aswell.:)

Hi there, I was led to belive that if Carp were caught in Aus they had to be destroyed as they are classed as vermin. Is this not correct as if not my gear will be coming with me.

Carp are classed as vermin, but why should that stop you from fishing for carp, they are after all to be had in abundance. Bring your fishing tackle with you, as you will need it. Plenty of places to fish for carp. There's the Torrens in Adelaide, Then the Murray, an hours drive out of Adelaide, then there are plenty of little lakes in and around Adelaide (infact we are just off to one in Coromandel Valley to do some Redfin(perch), Brown Trout, and Carp fishing). Yes you are supposed to kill the carp (redfin as well actually), but don't let that deter you from fishing. Also up the Murray, you have callop and the magnificent Murray Cod, which will make carp fishing like fishing for sticklebacks:huh: Yeah, they get really big.

As for sea fishing, to get really decent fish, you need a boat, as there is not that much off the shoreline. Mullet, Whiting, Tommys, Bream(pronounced Brim), Salmon trout, and the occasional stingray. But nothing really big unless you get lucky and catch a good sized Mulloway. And of course there is the ever popular Squid. There is also a variety of Reef fish, to numerous to name, but most are pretty inedible, but all the same interesting to catch.

Hope this helps, we fish both fresh and sea water regularly, and have fun with both. Good luck with your move, and makes sure you bring all your tackle.

Rick, wizzywozza's Husband.

PS, to answer your original question, no licence needed for either fresh or sea fishing.

Carp are classed as vermin, but why should that stop you from fishing for carp, they are after all to be had in abundance. Bring your fishing tackle with you, as you will need it. Plenty of places to fish for carp. There's the Torrens in Adelaide, Then the Murray, an hours drive out of Adelaide, then there are plenty of little lakes in and around Adelaide (infact we are just off to one in Coromandel Valley to do some Redfin(perch), Brown Trout, and Carp fishing). Yes you are supposed to kill the carp (redfin as well actually), but don't let that deter you from fishing. Also up the Murray, you have callop and the magnificent Murray Cod, which will make carp fishing like fishing for sticklebacks:huh: Yeah, they get really big.

As for sea fishing, to get really decent fish, you need a boat, as there is not that much off the shoreline. Mullet, Whiting, Tommys, Bream(pronounced Brim), Salmon trout, and the occasional stingray. But nothing really big unless you get lucky and catch a good sized Mulloway. And of course there is the ever popular Squid. There is also a variety of Reef fish, to numerous to name, but most are pretty inedible, but all the same interesting to catch.

Hope this helps, we fish both fresh and sea water regularly, and have fun with both. Good luck with your move, and makes sure you bring all your tackle.

Rick, wizzywozza's Husband.

Hi thanks for the reply, Ive had a nice surprise about the carp fishing. Was going to sell the tackle but it will definetly be coming with me now. Must admit this is the only part of my UK life i will be sad to let go as im a huge carp angler here. Just got my carpark ticket for those of you that know what that is so despratly trying to bag a couple before its all over and i say goodby to Yateley for good.

Guest Guest75

There are a few big Carp in a pond by the side of the Onkaparinga River - sure I heard of people chucking em' back in there because it's landlocked - but yes it is illegal to return them.

They destroying a lot of the habitat in the rivers now.

For a local forum on all things South Australian fishing look st this forum - very friendly and helpful......

http://www.strikehook.com/

Here is some footage of the Onkastompa - a charity fishing day organised by a mate of mine to give you an idea of river fishing here.

Hi Tyke, Nice to see that the fishing scene is like the Uks. Ive done a few charity fish ins over here and would love to get involved in this in Aus. Great video aswell. At least i know that if i cant find any work i can fish to pass the time away. How big do the carp go over there, 50+?.

Guest Guest75
Hi Tyke, Nice to see that the fishing scene is like the Uks. Ive done a few charity fish ins over here and would love to get involved in this in Aus. Great video aswell. At least i know that if i cant find any work i can fish to pass the time away. How big do the carp go over there, 50+?.

Good community spirit with the fishing here deffo!

Dunno how big the Carp grow to but flipping big.

Google Murray Cod for another big fish in the rivers:):)

• 1 month later...
Guest Zako999
There are a few big Carp in a pond by the side of the Onkaparinga River - sure I heard of people chucking em' back in there because it's landlocked - but yes it is illegal to return them.

They destroying a lot of the habitat in the rivers now.

just to let you know, Carp do nothing wrong. These aussies dont know anything about carp its just the way they are brought up.

Carp do not destroy the habitat in the rivers there is no evidence to prove this. They are a introduced species to Australia just like they was to the UK, once the floods happend in NSW years back and carp spilled into SA the Australians wanted to know more about the fish. So they sent some researchers to the USA to ask about carp etc..... (as you know the yanks hate them)

So the researchers came back saying all this crap about carp now everyone hates them.

And yes it is 'Illegal' to throw carp back but lots and lots of people do and how many people have been fined or got done? none of them.

I went up to Mildura for a Carp fishing nationals the other month and the water quality is much better then SA, there are a mixture of fish and its legal to put the carp back. So thats another reason they need to do research, because the water quality is so bad down this end of the murray because of all the farmers dumping all their poisons etc into it and tking all the water out. Which then turns the river quality appalling. But the government wont admit blaming the farmers because then they would get done so then the other option is to blame the Carp :biglaugh: :biglaugh: which is in my eyes ridiculous.

Frank

(Carp Representer & Match organiser for South Australia)

Guest Guest75
just to let you know, Carp do nothing wrong. These aussies dont know anything about carp its just the way they are brought up.

Carp do not destroy the habitat in the rivers there is no evidence to prove this. They are a introduced species to Australia just like they was to the UK, once the floods happend in NSW years back and carp spilled into SA the Australians wanted to know more about the fish. So they sent some researchers to the USA to ask about carp etc..... (as you know the yanks hate them)

So the researchers came back saying all this crap about carp now everyone hates them.

And yes it is 'Illegal' to throw carp back but lots and lots of people do and how many people have been fined or got done? none of them.

I went up to Mildura for a Carp fishing nationals the other month and the water quality is much better then SA, there are a mixture of fish and its legal to put the carp back. So thats another reason they need to do research, because the water quality is so bad down this end of the murray because of all the farmers dumping all their poisons etc into it and tking all the water out. Which then turns the river quality appalling. But the government wont admit blaming the farmers because then they would get done so then the other option is to blame the Carp :biglaugh: :biglaugh: which is in my eyes ridiculous.

Frank

(Carp Representer & Match organiser for South Australia)

Looks like you are the expert............. I'll just keep fishing the sea............ where there are no Carp ;);)

Guest Guest75
You will have to show us how to catch some bloody sea fish! CANNOT seem to catch them :biglaugh:

Plenty of Trevally from Pt Noarlunga jetty at the moment ( they like small strips of Tommy Ruff)

You might be free one day when I've a spare slot on the boat - do shout me if I mention one here.

BTW -I'm doing another "first" tomorrow.

My first long/early trip on my own boat with me actually in charge.

3.30 am start - might clock up 120k's :wacko:

Worth it if we get onto the big Reds though;)

Guest DanandJanna

Howdy Chris, I'd definetely agree with bringing all of your gear. I'm not a carp fisherman but am counting the days til my sea fishing gear gets here! I picked up 2 rods and a few other bits of tackle at a car boot for $20 so you could maybe look there for stuff to tide you over while your gear gets sent, and some of the big stores like one called Big W and K Mart sell cheap reels etc.

Like the lads say your best chance of some decent sea fishing is from a boat, don't know if youv got any experience with boats but you can get a small tinny with outboard and trailer that would get you out around the coast without breaking the bank, obviously youl need safety gear as well, we'v only been here a few weeks so I've been 'encouraged' to prioritise, for the time being!

If you just want to wet a line and have a bit of fun, especially with the kids, the piers at places like brighton and glenelg are quite popular for things like squid, crabs, tommy ruff (australian herring) and snook, a type of small barracuda, you'l soon see how to go about it, ive found the tackle shops and other anglers pretty helpul as well (apart from the bloke who got out of his boat but could harldy speak he was so drunk).

I'm just messing around off the shore at the minute, its good fun and the beaches arn't a bad place to be anyway, a tad different to mid winter codding in the north sea! If you still fancy a cast when you get here drop me a line and we'l sort something out, but yeah, defo bring any gear you have! Dan