checklist on arrival

SwanseaJack

HI

The time is getting closer for out arrival and trying to get everything done at home ready for the big move and trying to make a list of all the things we need to do when we get there like pick up bank cards find a bulk billing doctor ands so on. So here comes my question and I know its a little lazy but has anyone got a checklist of things to do when you arrive in Adelaide?

Thank you Kathy:eek:

I don't have a list but here are the things I/we did.

Medicare - find your nearest office and nip in on a Saturday morning. Very quiet as the other stuff isn't open so the offices are ghostlike. At least for us using the Marion one.

Bank - we had an appointment in the city to meet our account person, collect cards and discuss stuff and that is where our office is but we can use any branch.

Drivers licence - got there as soon as they opened to best the queue at our local centre. Check what ID you have to bring. Iirc I showed passport and Medicare card.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,%20travel%20and%20motoring/Motoring/Vehicles%20and%20registration/Customer%20service%20centres/Locations%20and%20opening%20hours

Tax file number -

Mobile - Our contracts link up with our broadband (which we had already set up fir when we arrived). Took about 10 days for them to go live.

Doctors - I found a bulk billing one easy enough but also looked round for a local practice. My only experience of bulk billing has been the wait time can be very long.

Car - we had a loaner but bought one quickly. Bought from a dealer and got a really good motor.

Metrocard - we live on the tramline so it's handy for us.

School - we had already registered our son at a school and stopped in the first day of term, met the principal, got the tour and son started 2 days later.

Edited by snifter

Guest Claire-n-tel

my suggestion for day one would be,

1. nice shower

2. go buy the local newspaper

3. pop out somewhere local for a long breakfast

4. relax, wander, visit the beach, eat fish and chips, have a beer at sunset

5. get an early night, all that 'other stuff' can start tomorrow

:jiggy:

my suggestion for day one would be,

1. nice shower

2. go buy the local newspaper

3. pop out somewhere local for a long breakfast

4. relax, wander, visit the beach, eat fish and chips, have a beer at sunset

5. get an early night, all that 'other stuff' can start tomorrow

:jiggy:

Our first day was along similar lines. We chilled, went to the store, got some bits and pieces including iced coffee for hubby, had a wander down Jetty road, vegged. In fact, we carried that on over to the weekend and really got started on the Monday.

Unless you need to see a doctor straight away you don't need to worry about finding a doctor to start with. You don't register with a dr here, you just make an appointment where ever you feel like and if you don't like one surgery you can go try another instead. It's handy to keep going back to the same one, but you can try a few to find somewhere you are happy with.

The main things for us were Medicare, tax file number, bank, driving license and buying a car.

Unless you need to see a doctor straight away you don't need to worry about finding a doctor to start with. You don't register with a dr here, you just make an appointment where ever you feel like and if you don't like one surgery you can go try another instead. It's handy to keep going back to the same one, but you can try a few to find somewhere you are happy with

We see several doctors at more than one medical practice. It is our choice to see whomever we wish. But mainly this has happened because of the wait to see Doctors.

I prefer not to wait a week or more, unless it is really not urgent, so I find out who can see me within a day or so. My husband prefers to see one doctor and can wait up to three weeks for an appointment.

So I looked into this alot before arriving last month as I had 1 week between arriving and starting a full-time job. I arrived at 9am Monday and checked into my hotel at about 11.30am by the time I'd cleared customs and got a taxi. Make sure you get a stamp in your passport at customs if its your validation trip as the banks want to see it to complete bank account opening - this bit took the longest at the airport. I then put my head down for a quick nap and proceeded to fall asleep for 9 hours!! I second the concept of chilling out that first day, maybe not quite as chilled as mine but I felt pretty good day 2 and got loads done.

Here's what I ended up doing (in order) over my first 6 days;

- Applied for TFN online (pretty much the only thing I did on day 1 and it arrived after only 7 days at my work address)

- Went to both banks to collect cards and open savings accounts (booked appointments before leaving, for the morning of my 2nd day)

- Got a prepaid SIM card for my phone and a topup and credited it to my card

- Got a normal metrocard ($5) and a 2-section metrocard ($5) as I use both to get the best possible deal for using public transport. Set up autotop up's on both.

- Found a rental property and signed the paperwork

- Updated both address's held with bank - got them to print statements as proof of address

- Medicare card

- Updated my 457 medical insurance with new address and medicare number, able to downgrade insurance to lowest category by doing this

- Sorted electricity for property, switched within 3 days

- Sorted 'naked ADSL' for property, installed 10 days later

- SA Drivers Licence - 4 years cost approx $180

- Found a tax accountant that I will use come next July

- (In my 2nd week) Updated my banks with my TFN

I have to say that I'm very glad I opened 2 bank accounts, as my employer is struggling to credit my "main" account with my salary as they couldnt find the BSB number on their system (not a problem at my end) and as i had another account they credited it to that one for the time being.

It was a mad first week, but nothing majorly went wrong and I have loved it ever since.

Nat

Edited by Natalie Ainscough

Guest Claire-n-tel
Hi

thank you all for your help really usefully. I understand that once registered for Medicare you pay for it automatically but is medical insurance something different and how do I go about it. also do I need a family ambulance card ?

Again thank you all again.

Kathy

Hi Kathy!

Private medical insurance is down to personal choice, i would say you definatly need ambulance cover tho, its only a couple of hundred for the year if you need an ambulance, or if someone calls one for you you will be charged about 800 bucks!

Yes, you do indeed need ambulance cover, preferably asap, as you never know what will happen. We prefer to use SA Ambulance http://www.saambulance.com.au/ProductsServices/AmbulanceCover.aspx

as they provide full cover and although you can get cover through your Health Fund it is often emergency cover only.

Health Insurance is available from several Funds and they cover hospitalisation in a private Hospital and any extras you choose to be covered for. They do not cover any Outpatient visits to doctors or procedures, whether in a public or private hospital.

So I looked into this alot before arriving last month as I had 1 week between arriving and starting a full-time job. I arrived at 9am Monday and checked into my hotel at about 11.30am by the time I'd cleared customs and got a taxi. Make sure you get a stamp in your passport at customs if its your validation trip as the banks want to see it to complete bank account opening - this bit took the longest at the airport. I then put my head down for a quick nap and proceeded to fall asleep for 9 hours!! I second the concept of chilling out that first day, maybe not quite as chilled as mine but I felt pretty good day 2 and got loads done.

Here's what I ended up doing (in order) over my first 6 days;

- Applied for TFN online (pretty much the only thing I did on day 1 and it arrived after only 7 days at my work address)

- Went to both banks to collect cards and open savings accounts (booked appointments before leaving, for the morning of my 2nd day)

- Got a prepaid SIM card for my phone and a topup and credited it to my card

- Got a normal metrocard ($5) and a 2-section metrocard ($5) as I use both to get the best possible deal for using public transport. Set up autotop up's on both.

- Found a rental property and signed the paperwork

- Updated both address's held with bank - got them to print statements as proof of address

- Medicare card

- Updated my 457 medical insurance with new address and medicare number, able to downgrade insurance to lowest category by doing this

- Sorted electricity for property, switched within 3 days

- Sorted 'naked ADSL' for property, installed 10 days later

- SA Drivers Licence - 4 years cost approx $180

- Found a tax accountant that I will use come next July

- (In my 2nd week) Updated my banks with my TFN

I have to say that I'm very glad I opened 2 bank accounts, as my employer is struggling to credit my "main" account with my salary as they couldnt find the BSB number on their system (not a problem at my end) and as i had another account they credited it to that one for the time being.

It was a mad first week, but nothing majorly went wrong and I have loved it ever since.

Nat

Hi NAT

Can i qsk you how you got your pre paid sim tyink that would be usefu

Thanks kathy

Can i qsk you how you got your pre paid sim tyink that would be usefu

You can get a prepaid sim at almost any supermarket, (Coles or Woolies) newsagents or appropriate brand Phone shop. Just check on line first that the Co. you want to use has coverage in the area you intend to live. Some areas in SA do not have full coverage.

And if you've a locked iPhone, make sure you get it unlocked. Either while in UK or ASAP after you arrive.

Hubby and I both have them, his was unlocked, mine locked. Easiest thing for me was call my network, ask for unlock and have the £20 fee added to my final bill. Meant I didn't have to faff once here.

Is it possible to get a mobile phone pay monthly contract on arrival, or is it impossible without credit?

Not sure. I presumed I wouldnt and therefore I didnt try until this past weekend (almost exactly 1 month since I arrived and a couple of paydays under my belt), and got one without problems. Applied online and even transferred over my mobile number from my pre-pay SIM, so I dont have to learn another number.

• 2 weeks later...

DL points are Driving Licence points - almost everything here needs a hundred point score (or something along those lines) which is just a way of proving who you are - so for applying for a lease, or a police check to work in a school, and your driver's licence all need this and different items are given a different numerical score - so once you have your licence things get easier because that would be something like 50, your passport is quite high, a bill with your address on, your UK licence I think might count etc... so the longer you've been here the easier it is but (in short!) that's what the DL points are.