Secure a rental before leaving the UK??

Guest Lynette

Guest Lynette

Hi we are moving to adelaide in may and was wondering if anyone can offer any advise on how to secure a rental proerty before we move? we were planning on using the meet and great services to gain some accomadation on arrival but have found that our sub class of visa dosn't allow us to do this, we're not eligible. So we'd like to rent a 4 bed house to come out to. Is this possible without any australian background? help!!! :o)

Guest Janine3979

Hi,

The problems with securing a rental before you go are you have to sign the contract before you see the property unless you have someone in Adelaide willing to view for you. Also you need to prove your income so you'd have to have a job secured.

Also they need rental referances, or if you own your house here you could pay an estate agent to view your property and write a letter stating if the house is well maintained etc.

Also many agents see it as a risk and it would be up to the landlord if they would be happy with it.

It depends where your looking, if there is a lot of competition then it's unlikley they will agree. It would be best to find a property you like on realestate.com.au that stays on for eg. a month then stay up late to phone the agent to explain the situation and they will tell you if it is possible.

They would be more likley to accept if you were willing to pay in advance and start the contract before you arrive.

Good luck

Ps. Though it is difficult and involves a lot form filling it is possible as we did it last year. Unfortunatley had to return to the UK due to a visa delay.

Hi Lynette,

I have seen a property that I really like on real estate, It's been on the site for ages. I contacted the estate agent several times and they would not let me secure the rental. I even said I would be prepared to pay 6 months rent up front, and it was still a no go.

I even have a good friend in Adelaide that can view on our behalf, and still this was not accepted.

We have been told to wait until we get to Adelaide. Landlords want you to be there for actual viewings. We have booked into temp short stay accommodation for 1 month. Then during this time we hope to view lots of property's and hopefully secure something.

We have references ready to go as well, so that there are no delays.

Hope everything works our for you

Prema

Guest Lynette

Hi ya prema

Thanks for your reply.... we thought of booking temp accomadation originally anyway, but some friends of ours in adelaide said why not look at renting before you come, so though we'd give it a whirl. Sounds like it will be too much trouble, what accomadition have you booked, did you find anything reasonable? thanks again, and good luck, lynette xx

Hi ya prema

Thanks for your reply.... we thought of booking temp accomadation originally anyway, but some friends of ours in adelaide said why not look at renting before you come, so though we'd give it a whirl. Sounds like it will be too much trouble, what accomadition have you booked, did you find anything reasonable? thanks again, and good luck, lynette xx

Hi Lynette,

Sorry for the late reply, it's been hectic with the kids finishing school for the last time.

Were staying in Quest on Wakefield they call it apartments but it's a town house with internal garage, located in Adelaide cbd. We opted for a 3 bedroom and rates are cheaper for longer stays.

Apartment Acommodation Adelaide - Quest on Sturt - Quest on Sturt - Quest Wakefield Serviced Apartments Adelaide

PM me if you need to know anything else.

Prema

Hi we are moving to adelaide in may and was wondering if anyone can offer any advise on how to secure a rental proerty before we move? we were planning on using the meet and great services to gain some accomadation on arrival but have found that our sub class of visa dosn't allow us to do this, we're not eligible. So we'd like to rent a 4 bed house to come out to. Is this possible without any australian background? help!!! :o)

Hi Lynette

This is possible as we did it. I did email around 25 estate agents until I found 2 that would do it, you still have to supply the usual references and ID but you do not need a job offer just need to pay 3months rent in advance. The two agents were Ray White in Hallet Cove, a lady called Jo Buckler, so helpful although we ended up using Ray White at Flagstaff Hill just because the right house came up for us. The Manager there, Wendy Cawte arranged this no problem for us but we did have to get a friend to view the property for us.

Good luck with it, it made the process so much easier and stress free knowing we had somewhere to go when we landed.

Denise

Nothing is impossible,as they say,but it would be very difficult i think.The landlord or Agent would want to know and see who is going to move in.Also they would say 'what if i do not like the Tenants' or'What if they do not like my Rental'Best wait till you get here i think.All the best ,Sue.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest janmoo

Hi guys we got back from Adelaide last nite after another reccie!!! Spent 5 weeks looking around and talkin to agents. The common policy is that you need to view a property to rent before they will let you rent it. Try googling adelaide shores resort which is an excellent campsite with cabins villas and bungalows some even have a spa and heaps of facilities for kids. it is 10 mins from airport and close to everything. We're goin permanently in Sept 2010. Good luck