Temp residents and FHOG eligibility

Hi there.

I have finally had it in written confirmation from Revenue SA as to when the 12 months start for the First Home Owners Grants to be backdated for temporary residents.

Thanks to Shaun Wilson on here for pointing it out on new builds as there has been some conflicting information given out.

Below is my question and there answer:

If I am a temporary resident at the date of purchase of an established property or new build, what period of time do I have to obtain permanent residence to be eligible for the FHOG to be backdated?

If you purchase an established home, you must apply for the FHOG within 12 months of settlement. If you build, you must apply within 12 months of completion. In all cases you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of applying.

This could be great news for temporary residents building as effectively if it takes 12 months to build your home from purchasing land and then you have a further 12 months to apply after completion there is a period of 2 years from deciding to build a home to applying for the Grants and in some cases this fits in with how long you need to be on a temporary visa before applying for permanent residence.

It might help a few who have bought established but not a great deal I don't suppose seeing as the whole process for buying an established can take from only 3 - 6 weeks.

Regards

Andy

• 5 years later...
Hi there.

I have finally had it in written confirmation from Revenue SA as to when the 12 months start for the First Home Owners Grants to be backdated for temporary residents.

Thanks to Shaun Wilson on here for pointing it out on new builds as there has been some conflicting information given out.

Below is my question and there answer:

If I am a temporary resident at the date of purchase of an established property or new build, what period of time do I have to obtain permanent residence to be eligible for the FHOG to be backdated?

If you purchase an established home, you must apply for the FHOG within 12 months of settlement. If you build, you must apply within 12 months of completion. In all cases you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of applying.

This could be great news for temporary residents building as effectively if it takes 12 months to build your home from purchasing land and then you have a further 12 months to apply after completion there is a period of 2 years from deciding to build a home to applying for the Grants and in some cases this fits in with how long you need to be on a temporary visa before applying for permanent residence.

It might help a few who have bought established but not a great deal I don't suppose seeing as the whole process for buying an established can take from only 3 - 6 weeks.

hello ,

I bought new townhouse while I was in temp resident visa ,so I didn't receive any first home grant ,now I am in permanent visa ,so will I be eligible for FOHG ,btw its been only 6 months that I purchased the new property ,can you pls advise.

Hi Nep12,

I just called RevenueSA (spoke to Zac) to check and he advised that you have to be an Australian Resident at the time to apply for the FHOG and that you must apply within 12 months of the settlement date - so based on this you should be eligible as it's a new home. Of course FHOG for established dwellings was reduced to nil on 1 July 2014 but it's $15,000 for new homes (from 15 October 2012).

Hope this helps.

Kerry

I may be doing this all wrong-as I'm new to this!! My husband and 2 children are planning to move out in 2018. However, in the UK I don't have a great credit score, I'm wondering if this will effect my chances of buying a house once we are our there?

I may be doing this all wrong-as I'm new to this!! My husband and 2 children are planning to move out in 2018. However, in the UK I don't have a great credit score, I'm wondering if this will effect my chances of buying a house once we are our there?

Welcome to the forum. Just to let you know that your first few posts will not be visible until a moderator has checked it first. :-)

Your bad credit score in the UK won't make a difference here. But you will be starting from scratch which can be hard also.