Nursing interview

Guest Trakki

Guest Trakki

HI all, was hoping that you nurses already there will be able to give my some tips on interviews. I have a telephone interview on Wednesday for a post on the childrens medical ward at the women and childrens hospital. What sort of things are they likely to ask. Any tips of things I can look up will be gratefully received

Thanks in advance :wubclub:

I cant imagine Tracey that it will be too taxing - the basic tell me about yourself, where do you see yourself in 5 years, probably a few scenario's. I dont think it will be anything about recent research - They basically want to know that you are safe. When Andy had his interview for his job (phone) it was about 7am in the morning and I was late home from a night shift, our two started fighting and there was no one there to seperate them other than Andy and he ended up saying half way through, sorry I'll have to put the phone down and went to sort them out......... they laughed, he got the job!

Good Luck

Lindsey

Guest jackieh

Hi Tracey

I would suggest you prepare as you would for any interview, try not to think of it as any different. If you have completed a selection criteria they might ask you questions based on this or your CV.

Just try and relax and be honest. They really just want to hear about the real you!

I know that this might sound silly but make sure you smile a lot, although they can't see you this will come through in you voice over the phone!!!

Good luck!

kind regards

Jackie

Guest macu68

Hi Tracey

I had a telephone interview for a midwifery post with a hospital in Melbourne last year if that is any help!! I was asked mostly questions about me. I was asked what my present role involves and my skills and competencies and how the wards worked. I was asked in what area I would like to work. I was told what was expected of me, I asked about salaries and benefits as some employers will deduct utilities and other bills from your pay directly before you are taxed. I was given a job description over the phone, I also asked for the name of someone I could use as a point of contact and their e-mail address. It wasn't a taxing interview more a fact finding exercise. I read up on the hospital I was interested in via the website pre interview. It was one of the most enjoyable interviews I have ever had!!!

We are no longer considering Melbourne though, prefer the Adelaide climate/lifestyle etc.

Good luck, you won't need it.

Mary xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

i can remember having my interview, i had spent all day looking up neonatal illnesses and swatting up on the hospital itself including when it was built etc, I too had my interview with the womens and childrens hospital. It was midnight when they called. They didnt ask me anything about the hospital, they told me. Basically they asked me why I wanted to move to south Australia? what the set up was like at my current hospital ie how many beds etc , What i did basically on daily basis, they asked me about the makes of equipment we used. Mentioned my family, mentioned training. The interview went really well i didnt need any of my scraps of paper, they were really nice i think there was four of them. The only thing with me was that i felt silly when it came to asking them questions because i didnt have any because they had already answered them. I asked them (you wont believe this) what is the uniform and do you provide it. One of the panel said to me "course we do"

Anyway, im certain you will be fine, just like me, I was offered the position the next day. You cant go wrong, you know what you do on a daily basis and thats all they want to know.

Good luck

let me know how you get on, you never know we might meet some day.

Lisa:)

Well done Tracey, I had my interview in Manchester for the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. I had read up on the hospital and gone over everything I thought I might be asked if I was having interview here. But no need to worry it was more of an informal chat wanting to know about me, how long I'd been nursing where I saw myself in 5 years and also why I had chosen Adelaide. Could not believe it when after the interview I was offered a job. I signed there and then. I didn't have many questions to ask just salary, promotion prospects.

Good luck Tracey I'm sure you will be great. Keep us all informed.

Jo x

Hi my husband has done quite a few shifts at QEH and he really likes it there (its his favourite - after the hospital where he works - of course). Congratulations to all those who have jobs - I have some good new of my own. I have just got a part time midwifery job too, looking forward to getting back in - will probably only do the odd agency shift now!

Congratulations again

Lindsey