best suburbs (just at the researching stage)

Guest phoesmummy

Guest phoesmummy

hello :smile:

i was wondering if anyone could tell me which are the nicest suburbs in Adelaide with good schools? I dont mean million row or anything like that, just average cost. ive been looking at aberfoyle park because thats where my friend is heading but wanted to know others too. i guess they would have to be commutable to the city : ) x

thanks you x :wink:

Define nicest and good. It's a bit of an emotive subject to be honest, what makes a nice suburb for one person does nothing for another. There are however lots of nice suburbs in Adelaide but it really depends on what you are after - do you want to be near the beach, near the CBD, near a different area for work, somewhere with lots of life, somewhere quiet or something else altogether?

As far as good schools go are you looking for primary or senior schools, state or private? The best state schools (or the ones that get the best results anyway) are generally considered to be Adelaide High, Glenunga International and Marryatville. However these schools have zones that take in some of the most expensive areas of Adelaide and therefore may be a product of the people that go there as much as strong teaching. For a bit more info on schools check out myschool.edu.au. This will give access to school zones, Naplan results and the schools own websites, which can give quite a feel for the school.

I'd recommend starting with where you are likely to be working and consider how far would be an acceptable commute from there. Then consider what kind of area you want to be in and see which areas near your work meet these criteria. Then look at the schools in those areas and see what you think of them and maybe refine your original thoughts. Then come over here and have a look round and decide to live somewhere completely different. Seriously, anyone who decides where to live without seeing it first needs their head read. Have some areas in mind, rule out others because of schools, commute to work, cost or other practical reasons but wait until you get here before making any decisions. And have a good look round at all suburbs that meet your 'must have' criteria. It also doesn't hurt to look at other areas as well but if you have your heart set on living near the beach there's probably not much point in spending loads of time checking out the suburbs on the east of the city, even if they are the nicest :wink:.

Guest phoesmummy

thanks for all the info, yes i wasn't really very clear was i!!! Of course i wouldn't buy before looking round but when we come over we will have to rent and i just wanted opinions on different areas. I have been looking at Aberfoyle Park a lot. my hubby is on IT so im assuming he would have to commute to the city which looks no worse than his journey now. my girls are 2 and 5 so primary schools is my main focus.

thanks in advance for all the advice : )

hey, I bought a house that I hadnt seen in an area I hadnt been to before we came - and it all worked out good. Sometimes, calculated risks pay off! :smile:

Check out Southern Suburbs as well - all are very family friendly, next to the coast and housing is less expensive. Yes, there is a commute to the city (and it will be even easier once the train line is re-opened later in the year) My husband commutes into the city everyday. Will only take 30 min on the express train. Check out realestate.com and see what your money can buy in different areas. We like MOana, Port Noarlunga, Seaford, Seaford Rise, Port Noarlunga South.....amongst others.

Good luck with the rest of your journey

Sarahx

This website may be helpful.

I typed in my suburb and got some useful information that matches reasons we like living here.

http://www.streetadvisor.com.au/highbury-tea-tree-gully-adelaide-greater-south-australia

I've had a look at this website and the info on each suburb may be useful but the rankings are pretty meaningless. Don't know what the basis of these is. Some really nice suburbs are low on the list - Burnside 150th, Glenelg 137th, Somerton Park 99th, Hallett Cove 89th, Henley Beach 72nd etc so take the rankings with a piece of salt.

I've had a look at this website and the info on each suburb may be useful but the rankings are pretty meaningless. Don't know what the basis of these is. Some really nice suburbs are low on the list - Burnside 150th, Glenelg 137th, Somerton Park 99th, Hallett Cove 89th, Henley Beach 72nd etc so take the rankings with a piece of salt.

Agreed, and some of the comments are simply bizarre (e.g. a few respondents moved away from towns in the Adelaide Hills because of traffic congestion ...) Just shows how some people see life!

Guest Guest12727
Agreed, and some of the comments are simply bizarre (e.g. a few respondents moved away from towns in the Adelaide Hills because of traffic congestion ...) Just shows how some people see life!

they could of corse be referring to getting into the city for work as i believe the journey, especially glen osmond rd is extremely congested in peak hour.

Of course this link only takes into account what people have written, a bit like on PIA, For me, a decent house in Burnside, Glenelg and Henley Beach are pretty unaffordable - although I love the areas, so I would agree with the rankings based on where I could live. If I won the lottery - a different story.

You may find the more recent link I have posted under Shellbell1979's thread, Places near Calvary, to be more informative.

It is a good idea to come up with your needs first, have a good look on Google maps and maybe come back and ask people who live in those suburbs what they think......and do research the price of houses - our first year has been spent renting in Lockleys, near Henley which is very nice indeed but comes with a nice price tag too. End result is we have decided to move the kiddies from school again so that we can buy, a bit regrettable really as they have started to form quite good friendships.

Guest Adelaide_bound

IMHO this thread shows that's its very *very* much down to personal views on places - we like the burbs that others don't seem to (or the rental prices are telling us that lol), which rocks for us as it means we pay less for far far more home, whereas some of the places that others think are really nice we really really don't like for one reason or another.

I completely put foot in mouth today with an estate agent when she suggested a place in Seaton - I did a few weeks charity door to dooring in various places around Adelaide (a different area each day, so got few quite a few), and Seaton was one of the very worst places we went (dead cat in front garden; swastika on signpost; broken furniture and tvs in front gardens and so on) so I recoiled in horror - turns out I was probably in a marginal bit of Seaton that is horrid, whereas the rest of it is lovely (and where the estate agent lives - oopps!)

Its hard to wait until you are here I know, but driving around places really is the best thing and gives you the best feel etc for where you want to be, as well as thinking about what you need in terms of access to different things, and features of a home (some places are mainly brand spanking new townhouses, others older places, others places due for renos, others old but nice places and others modern type places )- whilst there is always a mix where ever you go, there does tend to be a dominance of certain things we are finding from our carpet bombing approach to house hunting :) Obviously if you have a job to go to or know roughly where you will be working that helps narrow things down as well :)

Good luck ~)

they could of corse be referring to getting into the city for work as i believe the journey, especially glen osmond rd is extremely congested in peak hour.

Not the comments I read, they were referring to traffic in those particular hills suburbs (I could understand any reference to getting into the cbd from the hills and wouldn't have bothered mentioning it if that's what they were on about - I do that journey every day!)