Which bank is good in Adelaide?

Guest bentkitty

Guest bentkitty

Hi, we are leaving for Adelaide shortly and want to open up a bank account in Australia before we go. I have read through all the other posts on banks, and so far sounds like Commonwealth gets the best reviews, but I am confused by the fact that you have to pay for banking in Australia, and there are lots of other hidden costs, e.g. to cash in cheques, to use other banks' ATMs etc etc. It's all very confusing!

Commonwealth sounds great but sounds like you have to pay for banking unless you have a $50,000 relationship. Does that mean in savings or loans? Or either/both?? We are bringing over significant savings with us though we will use that to purchase a house once we are settled, hopefully mortgage free.

My questions:

- I heard some Commonwealth branches are open on Saturdays, is that the case in Adelaide?

- Do Commonwealth, Westpac, ANZ etc have sufficient number of branches in Adelaide. Heard HSBC don't but we currently bank with them so will probably open up an Aussie account with them just in case.

- i do most of my banking online so if anyone has any views on how good the online banking services are with these banks?

- who offers the best savings rates?

Tx all in advance!

Guest Jon T

Can't help with the saving rates or when they waive the fees for banking but the Commonwealth are a great bank.They have loads of branches everywhere. None of their Adelaide branches are open on a Sunday but this link will help you find one open on a Saturday - http://www.commbank.com.au/weekend/.

Their online banking is great. I've used Bank SA and Westpac in the past and Commonwealths is much better than both of these.

Guest ReadyPenny

Have only used Commonwealth myself, can't recommend them enough. Very helpful upon arrival and afterwards. Some branches open on Saturdays but not all, varies from suburb to suburb. Marion branch is open on Saturdays but ours in Blackwood isn't.

Online banking service is great, simple to use etc.

Mandy

Guest kangomik

See Morag in the city's commonwealth bank, she is great.

We have had no problems with them.

Internet banking is easy.

I don't know what impressions you have of Adelaide, but once you know the area you will usually find a bank or two, if not then there should be an ATM.

NOW shops closing on Public holidays is a real shocker till you get used to them.

Good luck with the travel, your very lucky to arrive mortgage free. But most of all enjoy.

Guest cafehag

Forgot to say, if you're an HSBC Premier customer in the UK, you will automatically be a Premier customer in Australia, and with that comes free banking - I've paid no charges in the year I've been here.

Guest guest569
Forgot to say, if you're an HSBC Premier customer in the UK, you will automatically be a Premier customer in Australia, and with that comes free banking - I've paid no charges in the year I've been here.

That all must be new as i have been a HSBC customer in the UK for years ( and still am ) and have some bad experiences with HSBC here in Adelaide. ( sent all my credit cards to my previouse address which was obviously in the UK and is now owned by someone else !!!!:biglaugh:)

So have now gone with West pac and Common wealth banks.:notworthy:

Guest UzinOz

Westpac have an account that can be fee free if you use it properly, pay in at least $2000 per month and use Westpac or Bank SA ATMs and there is no charge, I opened my account from the Uk and went to Glenelg branch on arrival, telephone banking and Internet banking is easy to use, very happy customer!

Jackie

Guest katsmajic

Im with Adelaide bank, now Bendigo bank, theyre great - 1st name terms in the branch etc, pay $5 a month in fees, do most banking online etc - they dont have loads of ATM's though unfortunately.

However look at where you plan on living/working - and who has ATM's nearest to you.

Most banks will charge you for using other banks ATM's so try to get an account with a bank with alot of them.

Guest countdown1975

Hi,

I have just opened an account with the COmmonwealth bank - - streamline account $6 per month for unlimited transactions. I get charged currently in Ireland per month so am used to the fees and the fact that banks arent open on Sats (which I found very weird after the UK)

:-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cipfluop

Hi, I dont know which is the best bank. Im still in UK, will be over in May, and have just opened an account with Westpac. You can do it online was straight forward, didnt need a tax file number. I havent done any transfers yet, so cant comment on thet part.

Guest The Pickles

I've been with HSBC in the UK for years but Commonwealth Bank were highly recommended. We've had no problems with the set up of the account (in London) and now we're in Adelaide, we've met with Morag (who is great), she also gave us lots of advice (not just banking)! Their online banking is easy and they have loads of ATM's. The $4 a month bank charge is waived if you pay in a certain amount every month, think it's $2000.

Guest Rob and Clare

We opened a HSBC account from the UK, and found them very helpful, but in the end only having 1 branch in Adelaide meant it was always difficult to go and see them.

The first bank that opened at Mawson Lakes was a credit union, CPS, so we switched to them and had a mortgage with them too. They work the same as old fashioned building societies where they are run as a mutual, as such you can get better rates of interest than many high street banks, as mortgage holders too we don't pay any bank fees no matter which cash point we use, cheques we cash or write, EPOS transactions or using on-line facilities, they are open saturday mornings and they are always very helpful. I don't know if they are the best, I don't know enough about banking, but they are certainly up there with the best.

There are credit unions all over the city, Savings and Loans, Police Union etc... I'm not sure if you can open an account from the UK though.

Bank SA supposed to be good too, with more branches in Adelaide than anyone else.

I think that banks are definately better here though, we had an ANZ credit card and the ANZ branches are so organised compared to Lloyds.

Guest pushbutton

Obviously with banking it all depends on what exactly you're looking for, but having said that, most of them offer much the same selection of services anyway so it's really about shopping around for the best possible interest on your savings, the lowest fees, and the lowest possible interest on any credit cards you may open.

Personally I hate all the major banks as they generally tend to get very greedy in charging lots of fees. I much prefer the credit unions, all of which provide a full range of banking services but usually with better personal service and lower fees.

For savings accounts I would use online banking, which is available from a number of sources and offers a pretty good interest rate on your savings, free unlimited transactions, quick access to your money, and absolutely no fees ever!

I am also with westpac, no problems, courtsey call to make sure we were happy, also opened it from the uk, transfered money over, do internet banking, got a credit card, can view both online with the same login, bank account free for the first year at least I think.