Kangaroo meat!!

Guest thekings

Guest thekings

Was just wondering what kangaroo meat was like?? Is it similar to venison??? I hope not as I'm not that keen on venison and it would be nice to try something different.:biglaugh:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I dont think I have tried venison, but kangaroo is scrumptious. It has to be cooked right though, best not over done on the barbi with a bit of pink left other wise it gets a bit chewy.

Guest panther

Kangaroo meat is very healthy to eat and you only need to cook it for a couple of minutes and tastes great

try some you will love it

Panther

Short Term Accomodation at Marino

kangeroo is lovely but i admit i cant cook it without it going a bit gamey tasting. Its nice cooked in a restaurant though x

I fry it in lots of butter (yeah, I know!), over a very low heat for 30-40 minutes, and find that it's not too gamey done that way. You have to do a 3-hour walk in preparation for all that butter though :) Oh, and chuck some sliced mushrooms in the pan for the last 10 minutes - they absorb all the flavour. Yummy

Guest nishman

I like it - OH won't touch it on principle...

As others have said - don't overcook. And be selective with your choice from the chiller section - some of the "fillets" are a bit stringy.

I had it in a 'nice' restaurant, like a seared carpaccio of wafer thin slices. I have to say it was worth the expense, even if the Emu that came on the platter tasted like feet.

There's a great stall in the Central Market - Wild Foods or something like that - that sells lovely 'roo meat, marinated as well. I find it's like a very tender steak and it's extremely healthy as low in cholesterol. I used to work on a venison farm in the UK, but I don't think skippy is anywhere near as strong as bambi! Give it a try, order it in a good restaurant first so you know what it should taste like before trying it at home! Tea Tree Gully hotel does a lovely 'roo kebab on a bed of roasted pumpkin and macadamia nuts with a plum sauce .... yummmmmm

Guest thekings

Thanks guys that sound positive, I found venison to be very gamey and reminded me of grass lol I'm glad roo meat is not that strong. Looking forward to my first roo steak now. All this talk has made me hungary now....

Guest Vickilee

From Vicki the Ausie..

Only way to have" Skippy" is marinated overnight and cooked on the hotplate of the BBQ , not the grill don't over cook and buy from good butcher, (Market is great) enjoy with good red wine from Mclaren Vale region.....cheers

Guest Vickilee

flavour to your taste.... honey & soy sauce,/ chilli ginger garlic, / even HP sauce if you like, with a bit of Tomato sauce mixed in HA HA...

Vik :0)