Guest June Pixie

Could Thebarton be the area for us?

Guest June Pixie

After searching extensively through all suburbs and establishing what we want as a family he have narrowed our suburbs to: Thebarton, Torrensville, Mile End and possibly Hindmarch. What we have established we want is: closeness to City, parklands, older style character houses, café culture type scene and closeness to it.

Please would anyone be able to give an opinion if these suburbs can provide this? We are a family with 2 kids - 13 and 8. We wondered whether there are families living in these areas and if there are parks (swings, see-saw type parks) in these neighbourhoods.

Guest Kazzarazza
    After searching extensively through all suburbs and establishing what we want as a family he have narrowed our suburbs to: Thebarton, Torrensville, Mile End and possibly Hindmarch. What we have established we want is: closeness to City, parklands, older style character houses, café culture type scene and closeness to it.

Please would anyone be able to give an opinion if these suburbs can provide this? We are a family with 2 kids - 13 and 8. We wondered whether there are families living in these areas and if there are parks (swings, see-saw type parks) in these neighbourhoods.

Hi June Pixie.

Just replied to you on PIO. I must be honest, when I think of Thebarton, Torrensville and Hindmarsh, I don't think residential or kids. I think of businesses - lots of them. Shops, offices, warehouses and light industrial types. The residential areas in these suburbs are generally older. Mile End has been similar in the past but has undergone a lot of redevelopment. The State athletics tracks and netball courts are also here. Hindmarsh is the home of Adelaide United FC and the Entertainment Centre, by the way.

From your likes and dislikes, and with kids, I don't think you can go past Henley Beach or Grange - both close to the start of the cycle/walking track which starts at West Beach and goes all the way to the city off road. (Henley Square is one of the cafe centres of Adelaide in my opinion) The city is only a 15-20 minute drive from the western-most suburbs and you have the advantage of the beach as well for the kids. Shopping at West Lakes is fantastic, you have the beach, lake with cycle tracks and rowing, kayaking, plenty of parks, public tennis courts, BBQ's, the surf life saving clubs could be invaluable for your kids and your social life, cinema's, etc. West Lakes housing would also be more modern (up to 25-30 years old). Other character suburbs could also include Semaphore and Largs (beachside).

Happy hunting, Kazza. :)

Guest June Pixie

Ok Kazza, thanks for all your imput on this. I am drawn to the older style housing though and the proximity to the city - but you are ahead of me with all the sporting facilities, public parks etc that the Western suburbs have to offer. I do love the beach too and am split between that whole Grange through to Mile End area. It does offer food for thought because as long as we are within the radius of these areas I do think we would be very happy.

Guest Fancy a Beer
    Ok Kazza, thanks for all your imput on this. I am drawn to the older style housing though and the proximity to the city - but you are ahead of me with all the sporting facilities, public parks etc that the Western suburbs have to offer. I do love the beach too and am split between that whole Grange through to Mile End area. It does offer food for thought because as long as we are within the radius of these areas I do think we would be very happy.

I work in Thebarton, ok place but definatly not a place I would want to live and raise my kids! :err:

Guest Fly Away

We live in Nailsworth - which is about 5 minutes from North Adelaide for Parks and cafe culture, doesn't get much plane noise and has older housing. There are frequent buses into the CBD and driving in takes about 5 mins. We can walk to Woolies, Target, Coles and Foodland, there is a 24 hour garage and many local cafes. Adjacent to our house is a smal park. Aquatic centre is 5 mins drive. The area is very quiet and safe and yet just off the Main North Road.

Neighbouring areas you might like to look at are;

Collinswood, Sefton Park, Manningham, Medindie and Walkerville (later 2 are pricey) North Adelaide itself is wonderful but again pricey.

Hope this helps. We tried the commute in from Brighton as it was our ideal suburb and decided to live centrally!! We spent our lives commuting in the UK and wanted to avoid it at all costs here.

Guest jorose

Look around when you get here. We ended up in a place never even considered and have just bought land in area that was never considered. The place we had considered wasn't for us. Keep an open mind would be my advice.

Guest SA Great

I agree with all of the replies. I don't think the suburbs you mentioned are good for living. Nailsworth is defo worth a look as it has heaps of old charactor houses, also Prospect. The area between the city and the sea is worth a look too, Fulham, Lockleys etc but not as much in the way of character housing.

Guest June Pixie

Nailsworth was one of our areas originally as was Unley, Prospect and North Adelaide but they were too pricey for us. Excellent stuff to think about - thanks for all your replies and help.

I lived on Henley Beach Road, just one suburb down from Torrensville for 2 years. I hated it! I didn't feel very safe at all. The unit below us had numerous attempted break-ins. As soon as it was possible we moved to a suburb far far away and haven't regretted it. One plus side was that it was very handy for the City but the City isn't the hub of everything apart from working and Henley Beach is beautiful.

I work in Thebarton too, the plane noise is not too disruptive for me although my office is right under the flight path but then I don't live there. It would be very convenient for the city but is a very industrial area in parts.

once again the opinions of places to live will differ from everyone. Everyone will live in an area that does not suit someone. I work with people that live in the areas and they love it there. Best to Ignore opinions and actually wait till you arrive and then judge a place by your own eyes and not by others

Guest Django

I would say that Lower Mitcham/Torrens Park area would tick most of your boxes. You would have a choice of cafes, some nice houses, fairly close to the city and not too far from Belair Park.

once again the opinions of places to live will differ from everyone. Everyone will live in an area that does not suit someone. I work with people that live in the areas and they love it there. Best to Ignore opinions and actually wait till you arrive and then judge a place by your own eyes and not by others

Best advice i reckon!

Guest June Pixie

All good information in my eyes, the good and the bad. Personally, I prefer to live in those type of areas (near to city) and not knocking anyone elses choices but the specially built suburbs just doesn't appeal to me at all. I have avoided them in the UK so didn't really want to live in them in Oz. I find it a little bland so a little light industry, planes etc won't bother me too much. However I wanted to get the balance between safe city living with what the kids need - a local park, green space etc, basically those areas tend to be more interesting (for me anyway).

Going the complete other way the other option is to go East towards Blackwood and still be on the outskirts of city. Can I ask is Blackwood quite elevated in position near the base of the hills?

I have my little suburb table all up to date and add bits and bobs as I go. Like some say, when we get there and 'really' look we may end up living in Aldinga!! Who knows!!

Again thanks and I appreciate your comments.

actually the flight path over Adelaide is fairly high until quite near the airport.Most days planes take off over the sea and then bank to whichever flight path they are on. So it is usually only incoming and as I said unless you live in a suburb surrounding the airport you wont notice it. After all I've never been bothered by noise when I'm at IKEA which is just next door, but you do get a whiff of jet fuel. Have a look at Nailsworth, a much overlooked suburb 6 kms out of town, also Goodwood, Parkside, Frewville, in fact just draw a ring around the city how far you want to live out and research those. Most suburbs have parks and ovals. Some of the older ones have bigger back gardens.

Guest kangomik

Rach thats a little like living in the centre of a railway station.

To the OP. If you really want to live in that area then it would be fine, and yes there are green areas dotted around.

It baffles me as to why you would move so far and intentionally target an area like this, but thats just me.

There are afterall many areas around that would tick all the box's without being so industrial or on a flight path for both major jets and small props. I have to add i only see air traffic increasing over years to come.

If it's a money thing then whatever suits, i just think there is better areas out there.

Arrive and decide.

Guest Pies

Been here a week and this is when the rubber hits the road: have driven around 200kms so far, checking stuff out, looking at burbs and sussing out amenities vs lifestyle.

A map isn't a substitute for having a good look at the reality - traffic levels, noise, amenities, schools, who lives there etc etc.

Aim to spend a good while sussing out the lie of the land and you will feel much more sure about what you want..personally, for my family, signing a longer term rental or entering into something more permanent before we arrived would have been a major mistake: as it is, there will be a fair debate between us around what will be best for the family, short and longer term.

Soon as you land, make a beeline for your preferred areas. Hope you find exactly what you are looking for!

Pies

It baffles me as to why you would move so far and intentionally target an area like this.

Because they do

Respect your opinion but everyone wants different things. If everyone wanted the same thing we would be sheep!

Guest Emu
    I lived on Henley Beach Road, just one suburb down from Torrensville for 2 years. I hated it! I didn't feel very safe at all.

Hi, we have considered Henley beach, Grange or Semaphore. Is there parts of Henley that are safer then others?