Guest cunnah10

Confusion over reciprocal health care on 475 temp (sir) visa

Guest cunnah10

Hi Guys

I am (and always have been) very confused over the RECIPROCAL HEALTH CARE that we are entitled to on the 475 (sir) vsa!!!

What exactly are we entitled to :

For example.....say one of us needed an operation OR a scan....OR just simply an X ray...WHERE DO WE STAND & WHAT WOULD IT COST US whilst on this temp 475 visa?

Also what does it cost to see a GP...and pay for prescriptions?

For instance I am on Blood Pressure Tablets for life AND that goes hand in hand with Water tablets ..also I need inhalers for asthma!

I also have 2 out of 4 kids needing inhalers for asthma...plus my 4 year old has recently been diagnosed with severe anemia..and so needs daily iron supplements!

HOW MUCH WILL ALL THIS COST US???

And would it be a lot cheaper once we were on a permanent visa???

Thanks in advance

Gill x

Guest redfoxy
    Hi Guys

I am (and always have been) very confused over the RECIPROCAL HEALTH CARE that we are entitled to on the 475 (sir) vsa!!!

What exactly are we entitled to :

For example.....say one of us needed an operation OR a scan....OR just simply an X ray...WHERE DO WE STAND & WHAT WOULD IT COST US whilst on this temp 475 visa?

Also what does it cost to see a GP...and pay for prescriptions?

For instance I am on Blood Pressure Tablets for life AND that goes hand in hand with Water tablets ..also I need inhalers for asthma!

I also have 2 out of 4 kids needing inhalers for asthma...plus my 4 year old has recently been diagnosed with severe anemia..and so needs daily iron supplements!

HOW MUCH WILL ALL THIS COST US???

And would it be a lot cheaper once we were on a permanent visa???

Thanks in advance

Gill x

If it is any help we are on the same visa and I take Anatcans 8mg and its cost me about $ 30 a month.

Guest soggy

Hi,

to see a GP may or may not cost anything, if you go to one that bulk bills and chages $33.50 (approx I think) you will not have to pay, althouth there don't seem to be many around that I have found, most doctors I have spoken to charge between $45 & $55 you pay the full amount and then you can claim back the $33.50, its paid back in cash as soon as you can get to an office to get it.

300mg of karvea is costing me £30 a month, with me i'm confident it wont be for life though.:unsure::)

Simon

I posted this a few weeks ago, it explains what you are entitled to under the reciprocal agreement.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

Reciprocal health care agreements cover treatment that is medically necessary. Medically necessary treatment means any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home.

Your entitlements

As a resident of one of these countries you are entitled to the following for any ill-health or injury requiring treatment while in Australia:

• free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient in a public hospital
    • subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
    • Medicare benefits for out-of-hospital medical treatment provided by doctors through private surgeries and community health centres.

Hope that it helps explain more clearly.

Are you coming back then Gill???

Yes. I'm wondering the same thing...? Thought I was going mad and kept checking the date at the top of Gill's post! What's going on?

Guest mantis88

i doupt it, but would anyone know if ambulance cover is part of the reciprical agreement?

i doupt it, but would anyone know if ambulance cover is part of the reciprical agreement?

No, you have to pay for this separately.

Guest Tina P
    Yes. I'm wondering the same thing...? Thought I was going mad and kept checking the date at the top of Gill's post! What's going on?

LOL - so did I !!

Just saw this on another forum, it is a NSW document but will apply in any state as medicare is federal.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/policies/PD/2005/pdf/PD2005_398.pdf

It clearly lays out that it is for more than just "emergency treatment" and applies to pathology, diagnostic treatment and pre existing conditions as well. Also maternity services are covered.