Sign in to follow this  
Guest Emu

Anyone moved to/from New Zealand, still on a 475?

Guest Emu

Can you do a “pause” in the visa? Can we go to NZ for 2 years and come back? I think we have to live here for 2 years out of 3?!

We on a 475, 4 months in, I’m temping and my husband still no job (even though his job is in the shortlist).

He was offered a very good job in Auckland for 2 years, paying very well. The employer would pay for our relocation and visas.

The question is we don’t want to loose our visa for South Australia as we would like later to become permanent residents.

But seeing what happened to that couple, that lost their job and had to go back to the UK.

It’s a big gamble but we concerned with the job market here being dead that he won’t get anything (keeps being told he is overqualified).

All advice very much appreciated.

Guest wijaya

Hi

This is my understanding of 475 visa.

You have 4 years (3 years + 1 year extension) for the visa. The duration starts when you got the visa. So in your case, your 4 years wil end in Februari 2013. Since you arrived 1 month, after the visa granted, I think you will have just enough time to go to NZ for 1 year and 11 months.

So in theory, you can leave SA now and come back in May 2011 and stay for 1 year and 8 months to claim your permanent residency, because you have lived in SA for the last 4 months.

Regards

Wijaya

Guest Emu

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean about the extension? I didn't know about this. Do you know how it works?

Guest wijaya

Hi

Basically, for 475 visa, in the end of 3 rd year, we can ask for one year extension. From other sites, I read that no question will be asked if we request the extension. The extension is for people who after 3 years still not have enough "time" to qualify, regarding job or residency.

I think in sites like poms in oz or british expats, it was discussed widely.

Regards

Guest Emu

Hi Wijaya

Thanks for that, I had a brief look at the sites you mentioned, will look again properly this weekend.