Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leanne & Mark

Help needed.

Guest Leanne & Mark

We are having a bit of a dilema, we currently have 2 options to get us to oz. An SIR to SA. or a student visa to QLD or anywhere else that does a relevant course.

Well we decided on a SIR. The only hitch is we have searched every job site we know of and we can't find any, not ANY,............. not a single job advertised in OH field.

We are going under 'General Communications Tradesperson' OH is Regional manager for Structured Cabling. (puts in fibre and copper network cables for companies)

There must be work out there as every new building will have Data Cables, be it for tills, or computers but if there isn't we may as well go on a student visa and learn a new trade.

Does any one no about this line of work, or seen anything advertised???

We don't wanna pay 4 TRA if theres no work

Guest dglamoore

I am sure that there is someone on this forum that does a similar job here so they may be able to give you more advice :)

There are a lot of jobs that go in the local paper over here and agencies that can help find the jobs that are out there once you arrive :) Also they may call your job something completely different here which makes searching online harder.

We know of a lot of people in this field and they all have work no problem.

Lisa:cool:

Guest Leanne & Mark

Hi Thanx,

I know its a pain to ask, but we are in a serious quandry, could you find us anymore details? Mark hasn't been on tools terminating for a long time, but we know he prob have to go back to beginning but not sure about the wages

Any contact details we could ask all these Qu's too. What do they call his job would be a start.

Sorry i know people ask about jobs all the time.

Leanne

Guest dglamoore

The only problem you may come across is that many employers do not publish the wages so you would not find out what they are til you apply. Sorry can't help more on this :o

Lisa:cool:

Guest tiger fan

hi there, my oh works for bt over here. we've activated our visas and are in the process of selling the house.he's been online and cant seem to find anything either. he's been told he'll have to do an accreditation course when we get there. i've spoken to a friend who's already in adelaide and i think basically you have to be prepared to do any job till you find the one you want or who to contact. i think the job titles are probably different too! dont suppose thats been much help really but just keep trying.

Guest Leanne & Mark

Hey! Mark is a regional manager for Baley Teswaine, who are in partnership with BT for structured cabling!! (so indirectly he to works for BT) I did see a job advertised recently looking for guys who have BT exp, i'll see if i can find it for you. They wanted a lot of people from what i could make out.

Leanne

Guest tracynsteve

HI, MY OH IS A PAINTER & DECORATOR, (TOTALLY DIFFERANT, I KNOW).BUT WE COULDN'T FIND MANY JOBS ADVERTISED HERE EITHER.FROM WHAT WE CAN MAKE OUT THEY ADVERTISE MAINLY IN THEIR LOCAL PAPER,WE ARE DESPERATE TO FIND OUT A WAGE BUT AT THE MOMENT HAVE BETWEEN $650 (CRAP)-$1250 (REALLY GOOD)PER WEEK!ITS SO HARD TO GET INFORMATION LIKE THAT FROM THIS END.IF IT WASN'T FOR THE TIME DIFFERENCE WE WOULD PHONE ROUND!SORRY NOT ANY USE TO YOU,IM SURE!!

Guest tiger fan

thanks for that leanne. i'll get oh to look at it later. no point me looking ! might as well be written in another language as far as i'm concerned

Guest Russfamily

caree one the adelaide advertiser has a section where u can register for job alerts i put in electrical and now get all types of electrical jobs sent to my email

Guest soggy
    HI, MY OH IS A PAINTER & DECORATOR, (TOTALLY DIFFERANT, I KNOW).BUT WE COULDN'T FIND MANY JOBS ADVERTISED HERE EITHER.FROM WHAT WE CAN MAKE OUT THEY ADVERTISE MAINLY IN THEIR LOCAL PAPER,WE ARE DESPERATE TO FIND OUT A WAGE BUT AT THE MOMENT HAVE BETWEEN $650 (CRAP)-$1250 (REALLY GOOD)PER WEEK!ITS SO HARD TO GET INFORMATION LIKE THAT FROM THIS END.IF IT WASN'T FOR THE TIME DIFFERENCE WE WOULD PHONE ROUND!SORRY NOT ANY USE TO YOU,IM SURE!!

Hi Tracy, I have been looking at painting work ads for a while and few have wages stated, the SA Health have had a job advertised for a long time at $40000 a year, about $750 a week, on the website www.adelaidebound.com you can find out many work related stuff, average wages in Australia for painters is $800, most building trades even plumbers and sparks don't go above $950, this is for employed postions. I think most of us will have to take a job until we can get licences and earn decent money, as I understand things this could take some time, references from licenced painters, from private individuals you have worked for, looking at work you have completed checking qualifcations/experience and mabe interview. I'm thinking I may do a year for my visa requirments while looking for other work/business options although im lucky to have a wife who earns more than me.

Simon

Guest tracynsteve

hi simon,thanks for that.wages seem really low as oh is the main bread winner,as we have 4 kids but i will also do a few hours as i do here.should be able to get morgage on $750-$800 per week through not as much.(thats with me working too).all well,think of the lifestyle!!!tracy.