Guest jpr parker

what school year

Guest jpr parker

hi all,we arrived friday and are living in glenelg.i know its half term so carnt sort school out while they re-open so can some one give me some info please.my daughter is going to be 13 in august in uk she was year 8 would have been going to year 9 in september,so do i need to be looking at high schools or another.its all so different here,replies greatly needed thanks.

Guest Deb17

I think your daughter will probably be put into Year 7, so looking for a place in High School might be best. However, it's a bit confusing as some primary schools have kids up to Year 7 too (and I can only speak for government schools, not independent ones.) My son just turned 12 and is in Year 6, so will go to High School in January, therefore it sounds as if your daughter will go into Year 7 now and move up to Year 8 next year. That's probably clear as mud, but hope it helps.

Good Luck.

Hi,

Welcome to Adelaide! My daughter will be 12 in August and she is currently in Year 6. Therefore Deb is correct and your daughter would be put into Yr 7. Yes, some schools run Primary up to Yr 7 and some up to Yr 6.

Karen

Actually I think your daughter will be put into Year 8 for the rest of the year - so first year of (most) high schools here. We came out in August after my daughter had just finished Year 4 and son had just finished Year 2 - and they did the rest of the year in those same year groups. It has meant that son - who has a May birthday - is younger than most of his classmates as he started school just after turnig 4 in the UK and wouldn't have started here till he was 5. In SA most state primary schools run up to and including Year 7, but having done two years of high school in the UK I shouldn't think any of the schools would try and put her back into primary!

Guest the4hopes

My daughter was 13 (last July) she started High School in Jan this year and was put into year 8, we could have put her into year 9 (as she would have been in that year in the uk) but thought it was best to go into year 8 as all the new students would be starting together.Also she would be one of the older ones, as she was the youngest in the uk.

Guest Libby1971

If she is already in year 8, then she will start in year 8 and see how she goes for the remiander of the year. If they think she is not progressing they may suggest she repeats the year but it is unlikely they would put your daughter back.

When we arrived one was nearing the end of year 9 and the other near the end of year 5. Both went into the same year groups here.