HELP-Laptops and packages

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi,

Hoping someone can shed some light as there are so many offers out there. We are trying to sort our mums out with lap tops web cams etc for when we move, they can't even send an email so it will take some getting used to so we won't to get them ASAP. Have looked at a few packages but thought some of you out there may have already done this research.

Would you say they are better of buying a Laptop then getting a package or getting a package all in one? Has anyone researched this for their family and found any good deals as it's the calls to take into account aswell.

I would like a good quality one for them so they have a good picture and i know some of these package deals the Laptop or memory etc isn't great.

PLEASE HELP it's mind boggling:arghh:

Jo x

Guest TheTodds

Hi

We have just bought 3 webcams from Amazon - one for us, one for my parents and one for hubby's parents.

They already have computers but we wanted to get them really good webcams and get them set up on Skype before we go in September.

We found the best to be Logitech Quickcam pro 9000. It is £70 or £80 in some places but we got it for £40 odd on Amazon. It is absolutely fantastic. Really easy to set up and use. So pleased with it. We all had our first Skype chat on Monday night which has put us all at ease a bit as it is so clear - just like watching TV. It will make the move and keeping in touch so much easier.

I'm sure there are cheaper ones that are good but that's our recent experience.

Good luck!

Guest robertreynolds

most laptops these days come with webcams built in.

I set my 97 year old granny up with Virgin Media cable broadband (she already had a virgin phoneline) , wireless, and a laptop. It sits plugged in, turned on, logged onto skype 24/7, and she can press the big green button to answer it, and can click to accept my webcam. 2 clicks is thats all it takes.

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi thanks for the replies however a little confused still, as one of my friends informs me that she just has a landline as it's cheap calls and then talks on the webcam, also her mum has a BT landline back in the UK and has really cheap calls so they download whatever it is on to MSN to talk on the Webcam and thats free.

She said that Skype is free only if the other person has Skype/webcams etc and so when she phones friends etc in England they all don't have Skype so she found it cheaper just to have a land line with cheap calls certain times of day and so many free calls.

She said that you have to buy a Skype phone or something and there really expensive which doesn't concern me if it means i can talk to family for free, however i am confused that she has found it cheaper this way. Anyone know what she can possibly mean or shed some light on this? I'm even more confused now:arghh:

Sorry if i sound like i don't know what i'm talking about because i don't:biglaugh:

My OH knows about computers but isn't very knowledgable about Skype.

Anyway thanks for your help

Jo and Tom x

Skype to Skype calls are free, you can talk and see each other through a webcam as long as both parties have one. You can also pay for calls through Skype which you might use if you want to talk to someone on their landline who doesn't have a webcam.

My webcam was £15 and works absolutely fine. I bought everyone one for Xmas and installed Skype on everyone's computer for them so they were all set and we could test before we left.