Sign in to follow this  
Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Yet another question about shipping!!

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi sorry another question and there will probably be more to come.

I know shipping costs have been covered before however we are not wanting to ship all our furniture over etc as it's not worth it, we only live in a flat so haven't got a great deal, not enough to fill a container.

So what we would like to do is take over personal things such as pictures, CD's, DVD's, and other personal things. I have heard you can send chests over by sea as we will be in no rush for them does anyone know the size and cost?

I have emailed a few companies suggested on here however they haven't got back to me probably because we don't want the full monty.

I know it will prob depend on weight but an idea would be good what people sent and the cost. Also we were wondering if it would be worth or even possible to send our flat screen TV by sea as it was about £600 or would it be more cost effective to buy one when we get there?

Thanks for any replies:notworthy:

Jo and Tom x:)

Guest harper210267

I would like to know also, please?

Its difficult knowing what to take and what not to take.

Everyone seems to take everything so that they don't have to buy out there, as this can get expensive.

However an idea of what's better to take and so...would be good to know more of.x

Guest ems

Hey guys.

I only shipped over personal things such as DVDs, CDs, toys, pictures, a few kitchen bits and other little things i couldn't part with lol. I used John Masons and can't remember exactly but it was around £400 + $150ish (customs clearance) when it was all delivered, that was for 6 boxes of various sizes. I couldn't fault the service i received but you might be able to get it cheaper with other companies.

Not to sure about TVs as didn't ship one so don't know the cost but i bought a 42inch flat screen here for $1200.

I would say it depends on the value of items you have with regards to bringing them or not. I choose to just bring personal things as i didn't exactly have furniture which was sentimental or expensive. I also like the thought of making a completely fresh start. It cost me around $7000 to furnish a 3 bedroom house but again it all depends on the sort of things people are after when furnishing a place. That was buying cheaper items (except for TV and daughters bed lol).

Hope this helps a bit guys and good luck.x

Guest WoodMartin

Hi all

We are using Seven Seas. All contact so far very easy. Similar situation - no huge items but lots of personal books, photo albums, CDs, DVDs etc

Our quote is first box @ £90 and then £40 each. Book boxes (smaller therefore less weight) £22 each. Not finalised yet, but our cost for 10 large and 10 small boxes is about £800. Excludes insurance and storage. Hoping to fly end of Sept; currently organisng packing up our house, we need to leave end of August!! Coming around very quickly...

Ali

Guest Lisado

Hi there

We took quite a lot of stuff - think over 60 boxes and cost us £1500 - we are in a shared container. They just pack peoples stuff in until its full then ship it out - so I guess you could take more or less and they work the cost accordingly.

We used EVL - european van lines. They were excellent. They told us if we sharing a container to send stuff asap as it can take a while to fill them. Our stuff is now on its way and they told us the ship details and that it should arrive on 29 august -where it is held in storag euntil we arrive. They packed everything for us and unpack if we want. They worked hard and were 2 really canny blokes.

Lisa

Guest Tracey

Hi, we had a quote off PSS for 5 tea chests to fill ourselves and 3 push bikes. Cost estimate was about £500. We haven't decided yet whether to take everything... and get quote for that, or just some items to fill the tea chests. good luck

Guest Fulwood

Hi Chorley girl - Firstly, I take it you are from the small market town in Lancashire? I grew up there and spent many a happy day at Parklands high school!

Back on topic, our shippers came today. We used Pickfords and they were very good. We haven't taken everything we own (eBay here we come!) and think they would quote you for the small amount you want to take. As a guide, if you have a look at the John Masons website there is an interactive guide to give you a rough idea of what items cost to take. For example, a normal TV is quoted about £35. A washing machine is about £50.