Wanted Down Under - Adelaide

Guest dglamoore

Guest Guest75
I have found it very repetative but on the whole loved seeing Adelaide & other parts of Oz, surprised that Melbourne was not included at all !!

Is it true 40% brits return to the UK after 2 yrs..............hmm hoping that we will be the latter 60% that don't :wink:

Thanks for checking if there is a follow up series, it would be great to see how / if the choice they made has worked out for them :)

Well we will all see soon enough, not much longer now!

Angela

I did a poll in another forum because I was so sick of the whingers.

I gave more boxes for the unhappy ones.

Amazed that some ticked "Don't care" LOL

Are you happy in Adelaide

Deliriously Happy. [ 24 ] [18.75%]

Happy. [ 82 ] [64.06%]

Don't care. [ 8 ] [6.25%]

Unhappy. [ 9 ] [7.03%]

Very unhappy. [ 3 ] [2.34%]

Returning to the UK. [ 2 ] [1.56%]

This was from 128 votes so I think it is fairly representative.

I ticked deliriously happy by the way.

You HAVE to give it at least two years here :-)

That was a good idea Tyke. There has been a lot of negativity on there for a while now.

I've never been quite able to understand the reasoning behind making the massive move to Australia and then 4 months down the line they up and move back again. What a waste of time and money.

Guest dglamoore

We will be giving it at least 2 years to settle - especially with the amount it is costing to get there :shock:

The poll was great and showed a truer view of those that had settled compared to the other whinging poms having a rant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lisa :D

Totally agree, it is not a decision any of us have probably entered into lightly. I also feel that if you are movin your kids and taking them away from friends and school etc (my eldest doesn't want to go :( - needing major bribery!) you owe it them to give it a proper go - which is realistically going to be at least two years. Also I HATE packing!!! couldn't do it again so soon :lol:

Cari

Guest Libby1971

Hi

I just wanted to say that this is a lovely site, a terrific forum that is so supportive of everyone. I find that lovely. I visit several forums and this is by far my fave - in fact i have stopped using one. No surprises why.

The creative editing of the BBC is irritating, I grant you, largely because it comes across like the families haven't looked into it and also because everyone is portrayed as being so gloomy and miserable. What a shame! I know we were really enthusiastic and I am sure the Ashtons were too. But nonetheless, this is a TV series and drama=figures/ ratings. It worked very successfully on the group of kids in my school who saw the programme before I did - "Miss, we were watching. And we were waiting for the vote. We didn't think you'd go for Australia, Miss. But you did. Miss, you voted for Australia...does this mean you want to go live there then?"

Word on the grapevine is that there is a possibility for a follow up series and a second series being discussed. All decisions will be made over the next month or so.

By the way Ashtons, I thought Billie did really well. I like swimming but only if I can touch the bottom every so often. I don't like rivers, lakes or seas where fish have the option of nibbling my toes! She was very brave.

:wink:

Libby

Hi Libby

Is this a silly question (but then that's me :wink: ) are you the teacher who was also on WDU like the Ashtons, who chose to work at the college?

Hi Tyke

I had also seen that vote, thanks, we think as a family unit you have to give it 2 years minimum, we've been thinking of emigrating for 4 years its only been since 2005 & our holiday to Queensland & Sydney that finally helped 'me' agree with my OH - Adelaide here we come :)

Angela

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi All

I think the next series may be covering New Zealand (that's what we've been told).

It is a difficult move and one you don't take lightly, but i do think that you need to give it two/three years.

Whilst we were there in October both my best freind and a close family freind passed away, this really hit home and showed us just how far we were away. I could have quite easily got on the next flight back home. What made it worse was that we had been out of mobile range and uncontactable when my freind died so found out three days later. It was OK though i still managed to do the reading for my freind that we had always talked about together just recorded by modern technology.

SORRY TO BE SO MORBID

On a brighter note though this didn't put us off and we are hoping to be out there by the end of April.

Jane

Guest donna T

I agree - 2 -3 years before taking any more major decisions.

We started this process 18 months ago after much discussion and for us we have to view it as a big adventure. I couldn't put the kids and grandparents through all this if we were going to turn tail at the slightest setback. However tough the first few years I feel we owe it to ourselves to give it our best shot.

Can't wait :D

Jane - I am so sorry about your friend and family - that must have been really tough. Good for you for seeing it through

Guest Davyfella

We must be the strange ones, our decision to move was a spur of the moment thing. I had a friend at work who emigrated to New Zealand a couple of years ago, and out of interest, before I went to bed one night, I fired off a CV to the company he is at.

By the time I woke up there was an email, they wanted to interview me and wanted to know when I could start.

That was about a month ago.

Well we gave it a couple of days, or was it hours thought and decided that OZ would be better with more scope for emplyment in the Aircraft world, so we contacted an agent and got the ball rolling.

Some ask if we have been there before, I say no need I grew up watching Home & Away, Flying Doctors and Mad Max films, I know what Oz is like. we decided on Adelaide, for the more temperate climate and the cheaper houses. We bought our house here in Belfast 8 years ago for £36000, it is now worth £180000, so we plan to be mortgage free, and I want to spend the rest on a gas fired barbie, a Holden Crewman Ute, and an Esky to go in the back.

Well gotta go and watch Lost on Sky, at least that is on over in Oz!

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi Donna

Thanks for that

It did make us think but we also realised that we are only 24hrs away, we checked airlines and could have been on a flight within an hour (not expensive either). We also realised that Modern technology (if your not in the Flinders) is pretty amazing. I'm not saying that it was plain sailing and that i wasn't in tears most nights but with mobiles and skype we managed it.

However, in hindsight it perhaps showed in the filming that i didn't enjoy Adelaide. That would be wrong as it was the best experience ever and well worth it.

Jane