have a really good think about things...

Guest jomasey

Guest jomasey

Now I don't want to be negative (so please don't reply with any nasty comments - this is just my opinion).

I just wanted to warn people about moving to Adelaide - especially on a 495 visa (not sure on the new number for this visa - but the state sponsored one). Please have a really, really good think about what you are doing.

This is my experience....

I left the uk 2 years ago today - to move to Adelaide - with my head in the clouds and big expectations. I had already completed a year in Sydney on my one year working visa and the option to move over for good seemed like a great one. So I already knew what Australia was like (or at least NSW). I obviously had to move to Adelaide as that is the only city who will take you on a 495 visa.

I am still in Oz and stuck it out - but I have no idea why I have - except for the fact that I am a very determined person. I guess I just keep on hoping it would get better but it just got worse. As most people moving over - I struggled to get work. I have a design degree and have been working in graphic design for over 13 years working in design agencies in London (so it is not lack of experience or being bad at what I do). There are NO jobs. Any I did apply for were way below my expertise and no one wanted to employ me. I became self employed and since have been working so, so hard. I have gone from earning 45k a year as a self employed designer in London to 15k a year in Oz. Now you may say things are cheaper over here - but you would be wrong. Cost of living is similar - except for rent which is cheaper. I am completely broke now and regret the move. The weather may be nice (most of the time - except for the 40 degree heat waves) but when you have no money it is not a life of beaches, bbq's and flip flops.

The SA government has a quota to reach - they need to make people move to SA - so they create a lovely marketing campaign to get you here - but then offer you nothing.

I'm sure the move has worked out for a lot of people - but I just wanted to say - don't be naive and really do your research and try and get a job before you arrive.

My husband and I have now had to move to NSW as he struggled for work. We have to live out in the sticks because of my visa restrictions - he commutes into Sydney - 5 hours a day on the train - and I am stuck in the house all day on my own - not knowing anyone. Not a fun situation.

There are positives.... parts of SA are very beautiful - but when you have no job and money worries - it is hard to enjoy these. We have stayed positive throughout this and made some lovely friends - but if someone asked me if they should move over here - I would tell them to really have a good think about it... Saying that - if you do own a house in the UK - there could be positives for you. Just don't think you are going to get a similar job to the one you have over there. You will more than likely have to work in a much lower paid and lower skilled job.

I can't afford to go back at the moment - and I will now start applying for my permanent visa that will at last allow me to work in Sydney - so fingers crossed things will improve.

I just want wish everyone good luck with the move and I hope it is all you are dreaming of... just remember to really reasearch and I'm sure things will turn out ok.

Honest post, sorry things have been so hard for you. I totally agree with you that Australia isn't as attractive as it once was from a financial perspective and median house prices are definately now on a par with the UK, but the BBQ's and sun do help. It seems as if you are really determined people and I am sure things will improve for you soon.

All the best

Kris

Guest Nick11

You are quite right about the job issue.

In my exerience people who have found work in their area of expertise tend to settle a lot quicker.

We came over on my qualifications as a teacher - which is an absolute joke as there are no permanent teaching jobs over here. We couldn't get in with hubbies trade as a print finisher BUT he is the one who has had to turn down work as so many employers wanted him to work for them. He is in almost an identical job as the one he had in the uk and has settled very well.

We came over here with quite a lot of money comapred to most and still find it difficult to make ends meet.

We applied for our 887 a couple of months ago and in all honesty I would love to give Sydney a go as they are crying out for pre school teachers HOWEVER the kids and hubby are now settled and we are very happy here - so looks like I'll have to bite the bullet.

I can fully appreciate what you are saying.

Good luck babes

Nick

x

Guest jomasey

I'm not quite sure how to use the forum - so sorry if this is a weird way! I just wanted to say thanks to Kris, Nick and suzer for your lovely replies. I do like happy stories and I'm sure there are lots who are happy in Adelaide - which I really am glad about. I guess I just want to tell people the truth as I now know how naive I was :) I hope you find work as a teacher soon Nick, and it is great that your hubby and kids are happy :)

Guest cornish Busdriver

What a great and honest post.

Sorry things havnt worked out the way you planned but thats life i guess.

Personally since me and missus have been here (7 months now) my job is the same but im now working less hrs with more pay and missus has already changed the hospital where she works from the Clavery wakefield to Flinders as its closer and pay is on par with what she was earning in the uk.

We have just brought a house we could never dream of buying in Cornwall and theres no-way we would go back.

I think Australia works for some but not all, but you would never know unless you gave it a go.

As i was once told " better to regret the things you have done then never have done them at all"

Guest cazzie

Hi Jomasey,

Really honest and sad post and good of you to share it with everyone. I admire your sheer determination to stick things out and if anyone deserves a break, you do. Wishing you and your husband lots of luck for a more prosperous future.

Guest Django

Research is very important. Not only into whether there will be work opportunities for you but also what your visa entitles you to. If we came over on a provisional visa we would certainly have struggled.

Good luck in NSW and I hope it becomes easier for you.

Pete

Great post and no one could be nasty for your honest opinion and views. Its a shame that it does not go smoothly for some people and does not work out at all for others at the end of the day we all go or want to go for a better life. Dispite this people will still go me included becouse no two stories are the same and if you get the chance and dont take it you would always ask yourself what if. I hope life gets better for you out there. Good luck.

Research is very important. Not only into whether there will be work opportunities for you but also what your visa entitles you to. If we came over on a provisional visa we would certainly have struggled.

Good luck in NSW and I hope it becomes easier for you.

Pete

This is a very good point as life for people on temp visas does seem to be harder then people on perminent visas. Also i guess the more generic your job is the better chance of gaining work, at least thats what im telling myself as an electrician.

Guest jomasey

thanks so much for all your lovely messages... makes me wish I had know you all when I was in Adealaide :) I think the thing you are all really saying is that 'you never know til you try it' - and you're right. That is what my hubby always says to me when I have a moan... "you'd still be in the UK wondering what your life would have been like in Oz" - very true. It may not have worked out - but I suppose at least I know that (although it was one rather expensive lesson ha ha!)

Another thought is that I guess it does depend on what visa you are on and what your profession is. Maybe they should take graphic designer off the 'shortage list'! There are not enough jobs for the locals never mind an English person on a temporary visa...

thanks again for your messages

Guest graandjac

Sorry that things didn't work out for you , but it goes to show that all our personal experences are very different, and the visa on which you arrive changes things so much. Its good to see the other side but dont be put off to much , I would love to know the REAL pecentages of people who stay or go back.....???. good luck

Guest redfoxy
Sorry that things didn't work out for you , but it goes to show that all our personal experences are very different, and the visa on which you arrive changes things so much. Its good to see the other side but dont be put off to much , I would love to know the REAL pecentages of people who stay or go back.....???. good luck

Some very heart felt posts here !

Why is the 495 so restricting ? surely the 495 ers are better to have as immigrants than certain nationalities !!

I would like to know the percentages who go back home and also home many do move on after they get PR, cos if we were a good few years younger (we are 46) we would too in 1 year when we get get PR.

Like you say, people get settled and keeping moving IS unsettling !!

Lyn

Guest caoimhe

I just wanted to warn people about moving to Adelaide - especially on a 495 visa (not sure on the new number for this visa - but the state sponsored one). Please have a really, really good think about what you are doing.

I think this is a very good point. We are here on a 496 so the conditions of our visa are the same as yours and having 4 kids we are really struggling. My O/H wages aren't great at all and the jobs he would like to apply for require citizenship or PR, he even wanted to change careers and join the police but needs PR. The 5 points we were short means we aren't entitled to family benefit and that makes a massive difference. I really wouldn't recommend the visa to anyone but unfortunately it was the only way we could get in, and Adelaide was our 1st choice as I have family here. Each month we eat into our savings and although we all love it here I honestly don't know if we will be able to survive long enough to apply for PR.

Good luck and I hope NSW works for you:wubclub:

Some very heart felt posts here !

Why is the 495 so restricting ? surely the 495 ers are better to have as immigrants than certain nationalities !!

I would like to know the percentages who go back home and also home many do move on after they get PR, cos if we were a good few years younger (we are 46) we would too in 1 year when we get get PR.

Like you say, people get settled and keeping moving IS unsettling !!

Lyn

Don't let your age get in the way of trying anything. I find the idea of staying in one place forever a far more unsettling prospect!

Guest graandjac

Jacqueline has hit the nail on the head , its the lack of government help in the form of benifits, no family credit/benefit type thing. We know a few people on temp visas who find money a little tighter due to this, but again not all of them struggle and some just get on with it.

Guest jomasey

Thanks for sharing your stories - really appreciate your replies - it makes me feel less alone.

I don't necessarliy think that on a 495 we should be entitled to benefits - but maybe more help getting jobs and maybe less restrictions with these. I'm sure as soon as an employee sees the 495 visa - they run away screaming! SA should not just make the effort with their marketing plan to get us here but continue to support. They are then ones that want us here - so should do more to make it easier. I think the 495 is a terrible idea! I also hope that they take 'graphic design' off the list soon so that others don't get conned into believing there are plenty of jobs for them over here.

I just wish everyone on a 495 all the best of luck and I will have everything crossed that you all make it to the 2 year deadline - if that is what you want.

Guest jomasey

oops - just seen that I have already said that graphic designers must be taken off the list... keep on repeating myself with that... possibly because it is on my mind most of the time :)

Guest MutleyCrew

Hi, we are new to this forum, having only joined earlier today, when we came across this thread. Excellent thread and very interesting. Sorry to hear that things haven't gone so well for those of you on the 495 visa and also that it would appear that jobs are not so easy to come by.

We will be applying for the 475 state sponsored visa, does anyone know if this is the newer version of the 495 and does it have the same restrictions? :confused:

We are also interested in hearing the views of others who have made the move to Adelaide on a temporary visa and how they find it is viewed by potential employers? Why do they not tend to employ someone on a temporary visa? What is it that they don't like about it?

Well the 457 visa has some tighter restrictions on work etc being a company sponsored visa. Again your not entitled to family credits or allowances etc, but i guess the one upside of it is that you know you will be employed in a job that your qualified to do, and already know the salary you will be on before you get here. Only another 2 months till we can apply for our PR too, so fingers crossed it goes ok.

oops - just seen that I have already said that graphic designers must be taken off the list...

Hmm, while I feel sorry for you because of how things have turned out, I'm not sure that other graphic designers considering the move would necessarily like the occupation to be removed from the list. The next graphic designer coming over might walk straight into a job, or take a career change in order to pursue their dream of being here. Just a thought!

Jim

Guest Amelia&Fred

i'm sorry to hear things were hard for you on the 495 as a graphic designer... for other people reading this who are on a similar visa to the old 495, both myself and my husband have had absolutely no problems whatsoever getting work - we're both in construction, seem to have fitted in nicely to the Adelaide way and the work is there in our industry. Adelaide is a small place and gaining a reputation in an industry, like construction, is important as everyone knows everyone.

i guess it depends on what kind of industry you're in as to how bothered an employer is about your visa - it sucks that a job would be on the list but no jobs available.... The money here for labouring work is more than double what it is in the uk and we find that although some things, like rent is more expensive, what you get for your money is better value than the uk. Plus there are so many 'nearly' free things to do - the beach, walking in the hills, the botantic parks, the museums, so many festivals that are often free too....

best wishes everyone,

amelia

http://www.inner-funk.com.au