can we really aford this move!!

Guest tracynsteve

Guest tracynsteve

hi everyone,feeling quite sad,not to sure if we can really aford this move.oh wages are looking like being far less than we origally thought.around £750 per week.we would be going on a 495 temporary visa and have 4 kids = no child benefit,which we knew but thought oh wages would be around $1000 per week.i would work too (as i do now).but only do 15 hrs in a supermarket so not exactly big bucks!how much can you earn an hour in shop or don't mind what i do really,hospital work,cleaning etc?going to adelaide.we want to enjoy a better quality of life for the kids and ourselves but don't want to be skint either.please any imformation would be greatly recieved.thanks tracy.:(

Guest graandjac

:DI guess the thousand dollar question depends on how much you have to take, and weather you will have much of a mortgage in oz...?!?!,some people seem to be going with £200,000 or more some with less than £50,000, for us its not going to over the top house wise which will leave us with no mortgage, i think that some people go with the big flash house in mind when they cant really afford it. Its the stepping back a little and slowing down we are after and leaving this bloody rat race that we are in behind, dont know if that helped :confused:cheers Graham

Guest ralph n bev

Hi Tracey ,

Do you mean $750 dollars a week?

I remember asking the same question , more or less on adbrits.

Ralph would earn significantly less in Adelaide than what he does here,until he sets up another buisness gets all his licences , builds up his reputation and becomes established.

I worked in retail, fashion, as a manager before i had the kids, and wondered what shop ,and supermarket work was paid.

I was told that the supermarkets usually only employed teens (chicks!!) as it was a lot cheaper for them to do so.

Ive also worked in school as a non teaching assistant, ive found out that theres no such possition out there , they get plenty volunteers, parents. So that was out.

My hopes were raised when someone told me that call centre work was in demand, $25 an hour!

I could do that, ive a good telephone manner , polite, even tempered. Then i realised you had to be able to type, while being talked to in an ear piece, without looking at your fingers!! No chance of that then .

So I dont know what im going to be able to do. But i will find something, if need be.

We luckily, are entitled to the benifits that unfortunatly and unfairly I.M.O. you arnt.

This makes it easier, help with child care fees , family allowance/child benifits tax credits, something weve never had here in England, well apart from the family allowance / child benifits. This will help while we get going.

But at least youve done the homework and found this out before you go down the visa line, not like some who dont realise till they get there.

What is it that Steve does ? I know Ralph would get a lot more money if we went to other parts of Australia, its just that we want to go to Adelaide.

Do some more homework , wait for some more replies , ask on other forums , dont give up just yet , your dream might still be obtainable, ive known some women go to college, here in Britain,o get qualifications in Hairdressing, nails , and other things, for when they eventually go.

As long as your under the age thresh hold , you could train for a brand new career !

Cheer up.

Bev

Guest tracynsteve

hi,thanks for your replies.yes did mean $750 not £'s.oh is a painter & decorator.we're have about £40,000 to go with.we've now have seen an average wage of $53,000 per year.so who knows?need to speak to a painter who lives and works around adelaide.know any??thankyou.tracy.xx.

Guest Guest75
:DI guess the thousand dollar question depends on how much you have to take, and weather you will have much of a mortgage in oz...?!?!,some people seem to be going with £200,000 or more some with less than £50,000, for us its not going to over the top house wise which will leave us with no mortgage, i think that some people go with the big flash house in mind when they cant really afford it. Its the stepping back a little and slowing down we are after and leaving this bloody rat race that we are in behind, dont know if that helped :confused:cheers Graham

Wise words Graham.

It does really depend upon how much you bring out with you as to what you need to earn baseline.

$750 PW takehome is about average here for an employed tradesman.

Guest tracynsteve

hi,if $750 is average,i take it everyone else must manage on it.oh don't mind doing overtime either as he does here.at the moment his working all hours for this move.i've always worked part-time (my break from kids).i don't care what i do.i would ideally like to adventurely (kids a bit older)go into hospital work, as love working with the public.will be taking about £40,000 for deposit for morgage.could aways wait 2 years to buy till perminante.not everyone on this wage can be taking most of money for their morgage with them.i hope.thanks .tracy

Guest Russfamily

In a few years time you may be feeling a bit down say if u dont make the move, you will all ways be thinking we should have given it a go. At the end of the day if you only got $750 bucks to spend then u will enjoy yourself on $750, if u get $1500 per week u will not automatically have more fun, my advice to u is give it a go and make your own mind up

Guest tracynsteve

thankyou russfamily,will do.we know that if we don't go we'll regret it.i'm sure we'll be alright.just such a big responsability with 4 kids if doesn't work.but we'll make it work.and kids will have a much brighter future,they'll love it.tracy.xx.

Guest lastboyscout

My family and I are only taking about £20,000 over with us , I`m taking a drop of about £5,000 in wages for the job I`ve been offered, and I`m really looking forward to it;)

But its the same old adage I think, `You live within your means` this will be the case for us and if it means having to graft harder and the wife to go full time hairdressing , then so be it , we want this move so much ;)

As long as my family are there with me, we have a roof over our head and food on the barbie, then we`ll be happy. We`ve become complacent in our materialistic lifestyles over here, what with Sky, broadband, mobiles galore etc.... it all takes it toll on the wallet :cool:

Guest Django
As long as my family are there with me, we have a roof over our head and food on the barbie, then we`ll be happy. We`ve become complacent in our materialistic lifestyles over here, what with Sky, broadband, mobiles galore etc.... it all takes it toll on the wallet :cool:

Absolutely bang on!!!!

We will be going with about the same (if we are lucky). Looking forward to an outdoor lifestyle that doesn't cost a fortune. Unlike here paying out for our creature comforts coz its to 'orrid to go outside.

Better to regret something you have done then something you haven't. If you need anymore convincing to give it a go then look out of your window.;)

Pete

Hi Tracey

Andy the Painter posts on AB. I think you have posted there to. He may be able to help you / reassure you.

Unfortunately P&D / trades are not that well paid but I think its who you know.

Ashley has worked for himself for over 6 years, with 15+ years as a subbie in P&D, he is definitely taking a cut. However, we have known this from day one & are both hoping that once he gets started, perhaps he can get established on his own again.

A risk for us as we are comfortable here but got over the wobbles & I just can't wait to get over there.

The kids are even excited at this moment in time, which I am very pleased about.

Good luck

Angela

Guest steph&neil

hi i agree with the comments about the amount you are taking with you, but as lastboyscout says there are fair less things material wise that seem unimportant over there.

bet you spend over £150 on mobiles, sky tv, higher petrol costs, central heating! & that is where i feel sure that the lifestyle will be better ok you may earn less but if you spend less no harm!

we are going out with enough to keep us morgatge free ( i think!) but if we have to have a small mortgage it will be nothing compared to the cost here, just as another thought - how much council tax do you pay now? average in Adelaide $400 PER YEAR!! (or from what i see on the net) i am sure that will be you $250 less prob solved ( i hope so!)

take care & remember we all have a case of the "wobbles" share them & we will all help reasure you, steph x

Guest dglamoore

We did not bring over huge amounts of cash and will certainly not be mortgage free :confused: we closed a good company that earnt well and now have to try and get it working over here but so far life is good and the move has been worth it :D now just got to get those dollars coming in as well as going out:o

Lisa:cool:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I think as someone said furhter down, you live within your means.

A lot of people are on low wages here, it is normal, especially for trades people....which is why there is a shortage of trades....no- one wants to do them because the pay is so c***!

There is always an exception to the rule though...some peeps get good wages for their trade...some even fall into a job with no licence!

You can earn more per hour as an adult in my local "Campbells" than as a qualified hairdresser!! what does that tell you? Also to learn to be a motor mechanic the starting wage is $6 per hour.

We get by on low wages because we have to, until we figure out a way to earn more, but would I go back to the uK N_O!

Its amazing what you can do when you have to.

I wrote this as neither negative or positive...just honest. I hope it helps.

sarah

Guest lastboyscout
Hi Lastboyscout,what A Cool Reply.what Do You Do?

Hi Tracynsteve,

I`m a SMART repair technician (cool name for someone who does bumper scuffs ,paint chips, vandal scratches etc on vehicles ;))

I`ve been offered a job in Adelaide and my future employer is even sponsoring me , so it ain`t that bad

It will be hard work and with determination we will get there, its only like when the wife and I first met, it was hard to get out of renting the council property and onto the property ladder, but we did it and have two lovely sprogs now aswell and we are looking at Adelaide as a long term thing , not to go over there and think `oh well, it didn`t work out, lets go back` because every reason why you wanted to leave in the first place will still be here if you came back.

I know alot of people come back for health , family and personal reasons but those are the only things I would come back for TBH, but I wouldn`t let the matter of money be one !:cool:

I wonder if Adelaide has any red light districts where I could work if all else fails? :P:D

Guest tiger fan

we're lucky that we have good equity in the house and hope to be able to be mortgage free when we get there, but even if we're not we'd rather try and fail than regret not trying.we know that there are things we take for granted here that we wont get over there, and only our youngest is coming with us. he's 18 so past child benefit or tax credits. oh worries that he wont get work doing what he does now. but we're prepared, as i'm sure eveyone onPIA is, to do what it takes to keep the dream alive!!!keep your chin up :D theres always PIA and the wonderful people on it to give advice and opinions!